About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wi-Fi  (Read 999 times)
AC2RC

Ignore
« on: August 06, 2009, 07:03:57 PM »

My new Ford F150 has a Wi-Fi connection. Does anyone know if that could be used for amateur gear ?
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 05:29:39 AM »

WiFi? Ford does use the Sync system from Microsoft, and there is a MP3 input, but the only way to use a WiFi connection is to have a cellphone or other net receptive transceiver. To my knowledge, they don't, and neither does OnStar.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 06:56:17 AM »

Kinda...I use a wifi lap top, UI-View32, and TH-D7 for APRS. It turns the tracker into a mobile digipeater and Igate when in wifi range.

73 de Lindy
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 06:39:22 PM »

Judging from the advertisements I've seen, the new Sync system does have Internet connectivity and turns your vehicle into a mobile WI-FI hotspot. I assume its similar to the new Verizon "pocket-sized" hotspot.
AC2RC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 05:53:31 AM »

Sorry , I should have said SYNC . This will provide hands free cell phone use with Blue Tooth technology.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 11:10:48 AM »

That is correct. It allows you to use a cellphone with the built in sound system, similar to most Honda, Toyota, BWM, et. al. However, it doesn't not directly connected to the internet. In other to do that, you have to buy the option net transceiver. And it isn't cheap, and neither is the monthly fee. You're much better off with a Sprint or T-Mobile USB device.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

K7AGE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 06:59:49 PM »

They do have an option, for the F-250, that turns the nav screen into a pc with wireless keyboard and printer. It comes with a cell modem for internet connection.  Word and Excel and Logmein are installed to connect to your home computer at home or do your expense reports!

Gee, if it surfs the web you could watch yourself drive around with ARPS and aprs.fi.

I did not buy this with my new truck.

Randy
K7AGE
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 06:44:20 AM »

God, that's all we need. Some dude will surely find a way to use the unit while driving. Oh joy! Another major distraction device for all of the teenage drivers. Will it never end?

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KO1D

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 01:25:16 PM »

Alan:

Well it is a Microsoft product. Won't work for long. So either the driver will be killed in a wreck trying to figure out why he has a blue screen of death or it will get a virus and the car computer will fail at an utterly inopportune time.

<G>
KF5BTI

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 02:55:36 PM »

The day that Microsoft builds a product that doesn't suck is the day they build a vacuum cleaner!
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 12:35:00 PM »

My 2008 Silverado has its own cellphone and number.  I am sure there is someone who could figure out how to interface the cell phone to work as a modem.  Also would have to figure out who the mfg's (GM) cell provider is to set the plan up.

While back I read how someone tapped into the built in OnStar GPS to get tracking info to send to your own laptop.  After a year was up, OnStar quit sending the monthly emails telling me my engine oil was fine and what the air pressure was in the tires.

BTW, one can already purchase 3G cell phones which will allow you to surf while driving.  My son has one, a HTC Touch Pro™.  It cost $500 and the monthly plan is $110 per month.  We did use it to find a KFC in Kearney, NE while on vacation.

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: