Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Homebrew Turbo Tuner  (Read 712 times)
WD5GWY

Ignore
« on: September 15, 2009, 04:40:09 PM »

Have tried to find plans on homebrewing a remote
tuner for my screwdriver antenna, like the Turbo Tuner. Does anyone have any resources that they would be willing to share?
james
WD5GWY
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 06:30:26 AM »

Laying out the circuitry is only part of the story. There is software (firmware actually) which drives the hardware. The program isn't all that difficult to write, but you have to have the necessary equipment to blow the chip. And trust me on this, you'll be writing the program over and over before you get it bug free.

As for plans, a few years back, there were some plans published in QST for such a device, including the requisite phase detector. I don't remember too much about it, but the truth was, the cost of the parts were darn close to the purchase price of the Turbo Tuner.

While I think it is worthy to investigate making your own, if you don't have the hardware, you're better off buying one, and the Turbo Tuner works fairly well. If you have an Icom 7000, you need to look at the BetterRF unit too.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 05:38:37 PM »

Thanks for the info. The programming part would not be a major problem. I have thought about using a Basic Stamp as a controller. (easy to program) But, from there, I'm not too sure where to go. And the Basic Stamp is not all that cheap. So, you may be right that it would be cheaper to buy a Turbo Tuner.
But, at the same time, it would be an interesting project!
I have an Icom 706 MKIIG that I was thinking of using it with.
james
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 05:23:55 PM »

hi James,

I had the same idea and found this paper,
there are more on that topic at msstate.edu
note one of the advisors is Martin Jue.

http://www.ece.msstate.edu/courses/design/ece4532/2004_fall/antenna_controller/deliverables/problem_statement.pdf

73 james
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 05:51:52 PM »

Hi James

http://www.ece.msstate.edu/courses/design/ece4532/2004_fall/antenna_controller/

This is better link.

73 james
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 06:19:02 PM »

Thanks James,
   Interesting articles at that website. It appears to be design for the MFJ Memory Controller. I was hoping to find something more along the lines of the Turbo Tuner or the Antenna Boss(discontinued).
I have found one website , W8ZR, who built an autotuner that can handle full legal limit. It's not designed for mobile use and not for controlling an antenna like the Screwdriver. But, some of the info there has given me some ideas.
james
WD5GWY
ZL2TZE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 04:46:32 PM »

Hi,
   I too would be interested in similar homebrew tuner.
Living down under has its disadvantages and obtaining a commercial unit and frieghting is nearly 1/3 the cost..

73 Phillip
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: