Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RV HF antenna Mounting  (Read 7957 times)
WA7PKA

Ignore
« on: September 19, 2009, 03:10:51 PM »

I own an Yeasu 756 and along with it is a ATAS-120.  My problem is setting up the antenna along with a good ground system.  We go to the coast and do rv camping.  I have a class C motorhome.   The antenna is mounted to the ladder using a Diamond K550.  My wife does not want any drill holes in the RV.  Is chassis grounding at the trailer hitch or bumber recommended?  Any suggestions will be appreciated.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 06:50:50 AM »

You need to prowl around my web site for awhile.

The ladder of any RV is one of the poorest locations to mount antenna, as the ground losses are very high. Grounding the antenna to the frame doesn't help. In some cases, you're better off using the ladder as an antenna driven with an auto coupler (tuner). However, that depends on the ladder, how it is connected to the RV, etc.

Remember too, the ATAS is one of the lossiest, remotely-tuned antennas. Even with a fairly good ground plane under it, the efficiency is under 10%, except on 10 meters where it's about 15%.

There are some photos in the gallery of other RV and motor homes, but the truth is, they are suffer as there just isn't a decent place to mount an HF antenna, drilled holes or no.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: