Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 29/50/144/430 MHz Coverage?  (Read 1176 times)
AC0MB

Ignore
« on: September 16, 2009, 03:32:26 PM »

Is the YAESU FT-8900R the only transceiver that covers all these bands that is under $500? Or would any of you recommend a different transceiver that covers only 3 bands?

Thanks,
Bryan
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 04:59:33 PM »

Probably, but it doesn't do 10 meters all that well. You'd be better off with an all mode radio like an Icom 706, or 7000, or one of the Yaesu units.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

AC0MB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 10:40:16 PM »

Hmm, but those are in the $750+ price range correct? What would you recommend for under $500? I guess I'll look more closely at the more expensive ones, but I don't think I'm willing to spend that much.
N8EMR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 03:35:07 AM »

Keep in mind your not getting 6m and 10m, Your getting 6m and 10m FM only. So unless you have some local 6/10m FM activity Your basically spending a lot of money for a dual band radio. Radio is a great option if your have the local activity or nearby repeaters on 6/10m but otherwise its just a dual band radio.

While the Icom 706mkgii is more money its more radio that you may or may not need depending on your interest and license class.
AC0MB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 10:05:56 AM »

Well the original idea was to just get a CB radio to mess around with and use it when caravaning on trips. But then I thought I could probably talk my friends into getting their license, and just use a mobile HAM radio instead of a CB radio. I can see how the multiband radios would probably be worth the money, but it's a lot more than the original $160 I was going to spend on a CB radio.

It's illegal to make radios that use both the CB and HAM bands correct?
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 10:52:26 AM »

Short answer, yes.
If you cannot get your friends to get into ham radio, and you are only wanting something for a short trip.
Go to your local truckstop and pickup one of the cheaper Midland CB radios. Of course, if you have women and children riding with you, you'll have to keep it turned down a lot due to some of the "content" you will hear on CB.
james
WD5GWY
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 11:33:44 AM »

Why not just get FRS radios if you are traveling together (i.e. short range)?
AC0MB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 06:38:21 PM »

Cause we generally get separated by a few miles and just to have something that is more entertaining to listen to and can be used for other purposes.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 06:18:07 AM »

I have a couple of hamfest special CB's (~$5ea) I used to use for caravaning, camping, etc but anymore I've gone to FRS.  A CB can be handy on the open road in case you come upon construction or a wreck and want to hear what's going on, but that's about it.  RX only is good enough for that.  I also have some Motorola HT's programmed up on MURS channels if I think I'll need the range, since they're essentially the same as 2M simplex but no license required.  Out in the country they're as good as a private channel.

I would skip 10 and 6M FM entirely.  10M FM can be fun, but it's not open a lot, and 6M FM can go for months without a peep.  Spend your money on a nice 2M/440 rig, add a used CB you get at a hamfest and you're done.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
AC0MB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 05:01:37 PM »

For an all band mobile transceiver, which would you say is better, the IC-706 MKIIG or the FT-857D?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: