Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter Mobile - Is Cold Storage of the Rig OK?  (Read 1309 times)
VE3XKD

Ignore
« on: October 19, 2009, 06:38:20 AM »

Hi All

I am happily mobiling HF with my Prius (worked Florida on 40 last night), but winter is coming here in Canada e.g. last night was minus 8 C and its going to get really cold in a few months. Since I have my ICOM 7000 radio installed under the passenger seat and it is difficult to take out I was wondering if it is safe to leave it there during the winter when temperatures often go to minus 30 C or will there be damage from the cold/heat cycles if I try to operate HF mobile when the radio is cold?

Does anyone have any experience with rig failure due to extreme cold?
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 08:20:18 AM »

If it was me, I would not try to operate a frozen radio. I would warm the car up first with the heater and after I had been traveling for a while, then try using the radio. If I encountered any malfunctions, I would turn it off!
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 08:20:35 AM »

If it was me, I would not try to operate a frozen radio. I would warm the car up first with the heater and after I had been traveling for a while, then try using the radio. If I encountered any malfunctions, I would turn it off!
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 08:54:55 AM »

My 5+ year old FT-8900 and IC-7000 see winter temperatures down to -10F, but each starts up fine and get daily play.  I have to admit though that I almost never get in the vehicle and immediately start transmitting, not because I'm concerned about the temperature, but I have to get warmed up too!  The liquid crystal displays are a little "laggy" until they warm up.  I wouldn't be too concerned.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 10:47:09 AM »

Most ICs have a storage temperature down to -65deg C so I don't think you will have any problems. You may have to let the car warm up a little before you will be able to read the LCD display. Actually, turning the radio on should help to get its "innards" up to operating temperature a little faster.

I've done temperature testing of electronic devices and never had a permanent failure from low temperature. They quit working but as soon as you warm them up they come back to life.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 10:50:45 AM »

Remember, the AM/FM car radio is subjected to the same temperatures and they don't use anything special in the way of expanded temp range components.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 11:44:51 AM »

The operating temperature range is listed in the specifications of the radio.

For the IC7000 it's -10°C to +60°C.

It doesn't come down to just what the parts will survive, there are tolerances to accomodate and while it probably won't "hurt" to operate the rig out of this range it may not function correctly either operationally or spectrally.

In my experience even if the rig works at very cold temperatures you won't be able to use it anyway, since the display will be nonfunctional until it warms up to a certain point (at least with LCD's).

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 09:19:47 AM »

I would be more worried about driving a Prius in the cold.  In 1998-99 I was in Fairbanks, AK, when the temps stayed around 50-55(F) below zero for a couple of weeks.  I never had any noticeable two-way radio, AM-FM, or a 6 Disc CD player trouble, other than slow displays.  But then again I always let the car worm up for at least fifteen minutes.

Mike
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 09:20:00 AM »

I would be more worried about driving a Prius in the cold.  In 1998-99 I was in Fairbanks, AK, when the temps stayed around 50-55(F) below zero for a couple of weeks.  I never had any noticeable two-way radio, AM-FM, or a 6 Disc CD player trouble, other than slow displays.  But then again I always let the car worm up for at least fifteen minutes.

Mike
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 09:20:07 AM »

Mike
KC7YRA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 08:18:09 PM »

Should be no problem if you let things warm up.  Here in Wyoming we get down to -40F (which is the same C) every winter for a few days at a time.  We may stay -20F for a few weeks.

I have never had any problems except 2.  Be VERY careful stretching or using any mic cord at that temp as it will crack and break.  Also be SLOW about turning knobs on any radio at that temp.  Have had shafts break.

As others have said, let the stuff warm up before trying to use it.  

Brad
VO1GXG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 09:25:51 PM »

We get salt spray and alot of moisture in winter here on the rock and i've not had a problem with any of my exectronics in the winter. Heck you're prius has more computer gadgetry then a regular car and it works fine! I jsut don't keep HF antennas on the car.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 06:47:58 AM »

All specs aside John, my 7000 has been down to -2°F (-18°C), and it came on perfectly. It's also been in the sun when the inside of the Ridgeline was about 150°F (the body is in the trunk where it gets even hotter!), and the display was a little dark, but the video worked okay as did the radio.

VE3XKD

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 01:07:49 PM »

After two months of winter, the installation works fine. The coldest has been minus 25  C. The only thing I don't do is keep the HF antena mounted as I am worried about salt spray damage, though VHF/UHF has been great all winter. It is also a pain to get the car into the garage with the HF antenna as there is not enough length in the garage, so I have not been doing too much HF mobile so far this winter.

cheers
KB1TGQ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 08:42:02 AM »

Think about all the public safety vehicles with radio out there.  I live in New England and it's not -30C but it does get cold and our radios always work even though they are installed in the boot of the cars.  Most radios have a safe operating range, if you are concerned a few minutes warm-up time can do no harm.

David
KB1TGQ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: