Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Schedule for next generation of FT-897D?  (Read 2409 times)
AC0MB

Ignore
« on: September 27, 2009, 12:51:16 PM »

I'm looking at buying a FT-897D, FT-857D, or IC-706MKIIG pretty soon. But I'm not in too big of a rush if there's going to be a new version of these radios sometime soon. Anyone have a decent idea of when they might redesign these models?

Thanks,
Bryan
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 02:01:57 PM »

Everyone would like a glimpse into the future, but I doubt anyone at Yaesu would let on even if they knew.

Icom has already replaced the 706 with the 7000, but sales were so brisk on the 706, they made a couple of production runs just to fill the need. A need which has waned of recent. Just a guess, but I'd say Icom will replace the 7000 before Yaesu steps up to bat.

ALan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

AC0MB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 03:07:25 PM »

Hmm interesting the 706 was replaced with a unit much more expensive. About how many years does Yaesu go between redesigns? The 857D was done in 2003 correct?
AF6IT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 01:14:42 PM »

Not so much more expensive at all when you consider what adding the filters & TXCO add to the cost of the 706!
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 01:47:36 PM »

The basic design for the 857/897 dates back to the mid 90s, with a few incremental changes along the way. That can't be said for the 706/7000, as they're not even close to one another.

All one has to do is look at the cellphone handset market. It isn't so much large scale integration, or even super scale; it's literally mega scale! And, the more processing power, the more things they can do. I think in some ways you might say a hardware transceiver isn't much more than a software driven transceiver, but with knobs.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

W4CJR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 09:06:26 AM »

I am in the exact same boat.  Considering an FT-897D, obviously an excellent product but does seem a bit long in the tooth.  Have you found anything in your research?

W4CJR
AF6IT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 10:50:40 AM »

Which is more important, packaging or substance? The FT-450 is twice as much radio as any 857 or 897 yet costs a lot less. I'm wondering why Yaesu is even still selling those older ones. Must be people are still buying them despite their aged design. Is the 2m & 70cm coverage really that important? Once one experiences the IF DSP filters in the 450 it would be hard to go back to primitive as well as more expensive!

Stu AF6IT
N8EMR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 03:57:54 PM »

The 857, 897 and 450 are very different radio's with different markets.  While the 450 has a mobile bracket available it would make a poor choice for mobile due to the lack of remote head.  The 450 is small for but I doubt it will take the "transportable" punishment that the 897 can.
N8AUC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 08:33:42 PM »

I just purchased a new FT-857D about a month ago. I know, not exactly on the bleeding edge of technology, but whatever. It replaced my trusty old FT-757GX. The only thing I really miss is the full break-in on CW. Other than that, I'm really enjoying the 857D. And I'll get used to the semi-break in on the 857.

The versatility of this radio simply amazes me. It is a jack of all trades, and comes real close to mastering a few.

Note that I didn't intend to use this as a mobile rig, but I do have that option if I should change my mind. I bought it to use at home, and for portable use while camping, and for Field Day. I will need to add the 300Hz CW filter though before Field Day. It's also very battery friendly when you turn down the output power. At 5W output, it only pulls a little more than 2A from the battery, which is almost as good as the FT-817.

Of course all this also applies to the FT-897, as it is basically the same radio in a different style case so it can accept internal batteries.

73 de N8AUC
Eric
KC8QVO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 07:30:18 PM »

Stu – the FT-450 is a very powerful radio with the IF DSP. I have a friend that has one and have enjoyed using it. I wouldn't mind having one myself. To your point of it costing less – it does. However, when you consider the portability of the 897 and 857 plus the 2m/70cm I think the price difference is WELL worth it.

Keep this in mind too – the current draw of the FT-857D/897D is ~500mA. I measured my FT-857D at 650mA, but it may change between specific units. You will NOT get close to that current draw on RX with any IF DSP rig. Both my other HF radios draw a solid 2 amps – TS-2000 and IC-718 (though the IC-718 has AF DSP and no filtering, not IF DSP like the TS-2000).

I think the 2m/70cm all modes capability the FT-857D/897D is a major selling point. This is the reason I bought my 857D. If the FT-450 did 2m/70cm I would have been more tempted to buy one of those instead. However, the FT-450 still won't satisfy the mobile and portable need that my FT-857D does.

My FT-857D goes with me on backpacking trips and is my every day radio in the truck. It has worked the world. I spend more time with the 857 than all my other radios combined.

For Bryan, the OP: In considering any of these radios, keep in mind that the IC-706mkIIg is 10+ year old technology. Maybe closer to 13 or 14 now. The FT-857/897 radios are around 6 years old. Big difference in technology. Also, Yaesu's AF DSP works better than Icom's because Yaesu put AF filtering in theirs. The noise reduction of both don't really help that much, though I wold give the edge to Icom there. However, the AF filtering does more to improve the useability of the radio than does noise reduction.

Depending on what your style of operating will be I would highly recommend the FT-897D, of the two. The reason is the ergonomics of the radio. The bigger knob and layout of the buttons, not to mention the bigger display screen, make the 897D a much better radio to operate. However, if you need the remote face plate and compact size of the FT-857D (which I did) then that is still a great option.

I don't leave home without a radio, and the FT-857D is the only one I take anymore. Unless ham radio is the purpose of my trip (field day, operating from EN39, etc). Convenience can never be matched.

I am a CW operator and bought the 300Hz filter  from Inrad (as well as a 2.0kHz filter for SSB). If you operate CW at all I would highly recommend this one. Don't bother with the 500Hz, its too wide. The 300Hz is fine – I can find stations all day long scrolling the band with it. I have only had a couple of occasions where stations called back to my CQ off frequency enough to not hear them. However, being so close to where I was I could detect a change in the noise of the band – that's how I knew they were there. Not a big deal for me.

Bryan – in any event, don't be scared of buying one of the yaesu radios! They are great. IF DSP is nice, but I have been using a TS-2000 for the past 6+ years as my main station radio and still went back to basics, so to speak, with the FT-857D. It has turned in to my main every day rig.

Though, if current consumption isn't a problem and you still want a compact radio that has IF DSP – look at the IC-7000. I have $1200 in my FT-857D (full set of filters, remote mic) and an IC-7000 is in the $1300 range. Looking at it that way the extra $100 is well worth the IF DSP, color display, and still having the full 160m-70cm band capabilities.

Steve, KC8QVO
www.kc8qvo.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: