Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roof liner 1990 Acura Integra- running the coax?  (Read 438 times)
AF6IT

Ignore
« on: November 07, 2009, 11:41:49 PM »

My 1990 Acura Integra is 20 years old and still an excellent car- I understand essentially a spiffed up Honda Civic. So how in blazes do I get the coax from my NMO soon to be in the center of the roof to the radio up front? This era Acura had the motorized shoulder belts- an obvious obstacle. Anyone ever do it? What is the best route for the coax? Is there enough room in the A pillars? How does one even get into the edge of the roof liner with all that hardware in the way? Seems that the folks at the Honda/Acura forums have no clue.

Thanks,

Stu AF6IT
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 08:10:27 AM »

Yes, but just barely! The wiring for the dome light and auto D/N mirror run down the A pillars, and the attachments for the trim both cause interference problems. If you have enough coax, you're better off snaking down the C pillar instead. that's how I did it in the 1979 Integra my wife used to drive.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

AF6IT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 08:06:38 PM »

Thanks Alan, was very helpful. I chose to not even waste my time on the front pillar based upon your advice. In the process of getting to the back pillar of this 1990 four door I discovered that there is probably room in the middle pillar.

My new Ace Hardware hole saw was proven to be defective but not before drilling the pilot hole. A small square of duct tape seals the pilot hole as the mount awaits a better tool to finish the job. I'll need to exchange the junk blade for one that is not off center. Wish I'd have spent the extra money for the Antenex NMO saw!

I find the existing "1U plus pocket" WEDO brand stereo mount to be pure garbage. The only structural strength is from a couple obscene gobs of some tough black RTV and some clear "shoe goo" RTV on the pocket. The existing stereo mostly just lays there on top of the pocket. Shall I pay $20+ for another piece of plastic & glue garbage? I think not. Think I'll get the sheet metal shears out & cannibalize some of the thin sheet metal from an old junk PC tower. Might take time but at least it shouldn't cost me $20 for a dollar's worth of inferior materials waiting to fail.

So yet another 1-2 hour job is being spread out over several weekends...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: