Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna for Jeep Wrangler  (Read 1160 times)
K9CLB

Ignore
« on: October 30, 2009, 07:17:02 PM »

I am looking for a 2m antenna for the back of my 04 Jeep Wrangler. I am planning to use a Teraflex antenna mount that bolts between the taillight and the body. So part of the antenna will be below the top of the Jeep. Also, if much of the antenna is above the top it will need to be able to withstand banging on tree limbs while off-road.

I am planning to mount the 2m antenna on one side of the Jeep and a CB antenna is going on the other side.

Any antenna and / or alternate mounting suggestions would be appreciated. I would like to keep the mount to the rear of the Jeep instead of on the mirrors or front hood / fender. Also, I would like to minimize the drilling of holes through the body if possible.

Thanks in advance

K9CLB
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 04:26:35 AM »

Sounds like you've already decided what to do. Now all you need to do is do it. Not ideal, which I'm sure you realize, but it's probably as good as any method.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

N4CDB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 02:59:56 PM »

My friend has a new 08 or 09 Wrangler. There isn't much metal on it where I'd like it. :-) I ended up installing a Diamond lip mount between the hinges on the rear gate. We used a Comet SBB-5 antenna. It's not optimal and she gets scratchy sooner moving away from the repeater but it works.
KC9JCH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 12:52:49 PM »

I have an '08 Wrangler.  The best place I found to mount an antenna was on top of the third brake light over the spare.  There is no metal here for an adequate groung plane so I used a half wave from Diamond and fabricated an NMO mount that is basically a right angle of mild steel with three small holes to screw it to the back of the third brake light and a large hole on the other end to accept an NMO mount.  The half wave is basically 19" then a coil, then another 19" of antenna.  The thing sticks up about two feet above the roofline and does get banged around a bit on trails, but so far hasn't come loose and is fine for repeaters to 40 or so miles and simplex for probably ten.  I have photos of the mount I made on my home computer if you would be interested in seeing, e-mail my call at ARRL.net.
Tim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: