Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lightning struck IC-746  (Read 2529 times)
AE4HL

Ignore
« on: August 28, 2000, 06:13:16 PM »

My new IC-746 took a lightning surge (via a direct hit to my wire antenna and SGC autocoupler) through the 12v power connector and via an arc jumping from the nearby (1/8" away) coax connector that was lying on the desktop.  The arc jumped to the metal back of the IC-746 .  Is it worthwhile to send this unit back to ICOM and pay the $45 diagnosis fee to determine if it can be repaired or with todays radios is it more than likely a total write off?

Thanks for any advice.

Jim K.
K5IQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2000, 03:05:33 PM »

Is the rig covered by insurance?  If not, I think it would worth $45 to get it checked out.  Beats $1300 for a new one!
Bob
K5IQ
K1BRF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2000, 07:47:14 PM »

I agree. Hi voltage arcs are so bizarre, you could have escaped with a case scar, a scare and a great story.  Or the path could have driven through the core of the rig like a gopher. No way to tell without a diagnostic. For 3.5% of the value of a new rig you can find out whether you have one you can use. The probability lightning killed it is not the inverse or 96.5%.  One thing, though. No matter what they do, there is always the possibility there will be some residual bizarre, intermittant issue because some gate of some IC was hurt and it is impossible to discover that on a diagnostic. But even so, it is worth fixing.  If you do not like the results, you can trade it in or sell it and still have some bucks to show for the refurbishment. Unless the ICOM repair estimate is $1300!  Good luck.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: