Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: garbled speech on Kenwood TS530  (Read 2231 times)
WH2ADM

Ignore
« on: November 13, 2000, 07:54:15 PM »

Hello, I have an old TS530 that suddenly started having a transmit problem.  My received audio is garbled and not very intelegable.  This problem ocured suddenly.  One contact was okay, the next reported this audio problem.

The tune up seems ok and tunes okay with the dummy load showing SWR of 1:1.  When turned to an antenna there is higher SWR than before.  When the antenna tunner is used to tune the antenna I am unable to bring down to acceptable SWR, down to perhaps 3-5 at best.  

When I then bring another rig into use (TS-430)I am able to tune to 1:1 with no problem.

Any ideas.  Finals?
Regards, Rick Wood WH2ADM  thewoods@netpci.com
N9NS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2000, 05:33:06 PM »

Rick, are you saying at the same time the audio became garbled the antenna SWR changed?  That points to something bad in the antenna, or feedline.  This would normally not show up as receive problems unless something is very loose and intermittant while in receive.  On transmit it is likely if the antenna broke you are are just loading into the feed line, causing a lot of RF in the shack.  This could get into your audio circuits and make transmitted audio very garbled.  RF in the audio is often described as "fuzzy sounding".

Indy
NM0X

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2000, 06:27:33 PM »

First thing that comes to mind...

If memory serves the 530 is solid state except for tube finals and therefore you may have some problems with the (phase locked loop) PLL staying locked.  If the PLL is just not quite adjusted correctly you'll hear garbled audio. If it's very badly out of adjustment, it will sound like a SSB contest on the wrong sideband.  
WH2ADM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2000, 06:59:13 PM »

Hello All,
Thanks for the comments.  

I had a ham friend who took a look.  The problems was a Electrolytic Capacitor in the power supply.  This was allowing unfiltered power into the Transmitted signal.  Just received the rig back last night.  Thanks for the comments,
Rick
WH2ADM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: