Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RCI 2950 DX  (Read 4898 times)
SWL226

Ignore
« on: December 25, 2000, 10:14:05 AM »

I just got this 10/12 meter all mode rig and want to know if it can be expanded to Rx the 11 meter band?
Before the flames start I only want to Rx, not transmit on these Frequencys.
Thanks,
JW
K5LDL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2001, 02:29:35 AM »

Ok, I'm ONLY doing this because you said you were going to LISTEN on 11 meters and NOT talk on it.  Of course you know that modifying this rig will not only 'open' it to the CB portion of the spectrum, it also lets you onto the so called "free bands" between 12 and 11 meters and 11 and 10 meters in FM, AM or SSB modes, depending on the frequency.  Once modified, that radio can listen in and talk on 24-32 Mhz. Yes, you read that correctly, 24-32 Mhz.  And depending on how you do the power mod(s), you might be able to squeak out about 45 watts PEP or just a bit more.  And yes, your rig can be modified.  Unless it is one of the "NEW" 2950's that is designed 'not' to be modified, it MAY still be modified. Check with your dealer on this.  There are several sites on the web that will show you how, some even showing the pics on how to do it.  If it is an older model, it's even easier to modify.  One more thing, if it is an older model, say 3 years or older, you might consider replacing the battery in it.  It's right next to the LCD on the left hand side of the LCD once the radio has been PROPERLY disassembled.  If I remember correctly, it's one of those button type hearing aid style battery.  A Lithium Ion battery should work great in there.  You can tell if the radio is an 'older model' by its display, it's almost an amber color.  The 'newer model' just seems like a lifeless gray and the new 'improved' 2950 has a green LCD.  If I'm not mistaken, qrz.com lists the mod(s).  A few of the 11 meter sites will also have that mod and more listed.  Ummm.. oh yeah, lest I forget and the FCC comes down on me...  "You should not modify any ham gear to operate on 11 meters or any frequency outside of your privileges."  And another thing, any mod you do is at your own risk, you let out the smoke, you suffer the consequences.  I am not liable.  There!  Any more small print I should remember? hi hi  I can feel the heat from the flamers already just because I told you your rig could be modified.  Oh well, that's what asbestos is for.  right?  All information given to you here may be found on the web.  I, currently, do not own any modified gear.  But for the price and options, some of those 'export' radios are sure hard to beat.

73!

Luis KD5KJD
SWL226

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2001, 01:24:11 PM »

Thank You for the Info, I will look at QRZ .com.
73, and Happy New Year.
Jeff.
KF2TZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2001, 05:47:57 PM »

I wouldn't even bother listening to that childrens band. Stick to 10 and 12 meters, you will find mature operators there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: