The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New ham loosing interest really fast.  (Read 7716 times)
VE3TMT

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2015, 06:02:18 AM »

Hi Matt,

I've been licensed for 25 years. Was excited to join the local club and partake in all the events. Club meetings turned in to a joke. The age of the average ham was in the late sixties to seventies and they were all set in their ways. They had the "this is the way it used to be done" mentality that just didn't fly with the younger hams. So I left the club, sold all my VHF gear and haven't looked back. I do have a cheap Chinese HT that I can use in case of emergency, but that's about it. 99.99% of my time is spent on HF.

Don't let the jerk attitude of one individual get to you. Find another net to check in to or try 10m or 6m as others have suggested. Local QSO's can be had on 75m if you have privileges. If not, it's a good incentive to upgrade. There's a lot more to amateur radio than 2m.

Good luck,
VE3TMT
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2015, 11:22:28 AM »

Net control guy here tonight, some 70 year old, said that anyone who does not have a dedicated radio for weather, along with other high dollar gear, does not deserve to be a Ham. I am sick of some of these a-holes on the airways who think they are better than everyone else because they have 50 trillion dollars invested in the hobby. So far it is mainly the old ones saying these crappy things, and on the airways at that. Does the FCC have a law on being a prick?

Matt

You're going to find self-righteous, know-it-all pricks in any hobby.  I've encountered them in motorcycle clubs and in photography groups.  Don't let them get to you.  Ham radio is broad enough that there is room for everyone.
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2015, 04:09:59 PM »

Net control guy here tonight, some 70 year old, said that anyone who does not have a dedicated radio for weather, along with other high dollar gear, does not deserve to be a Ham. I am sick of some of these a-holes on the airways who think they are better than everyone else because they have 50 trillion dollars invested in the hobby. So far it is mainly the old ones saying these crappy things, and on the airways at that. Does the FCC have a law on being a prick?

Matt

I'm a 70yo ham, I'd never say anything like that. Jerks are everywhere, I like to assume they are just having a bad day or something, it's just easier that way. I remember when I was in high school, coming home in the afternoons and getting on the air. One guy once said "the kiddies are home from school". It stuck in my memory because it was a little shocking that a grown man would say stuff like that. I guess I'd thought that the licensing process would weed out jerks but not at all. Hams just aren't high on the emotional intelligence scale for sure. I got my Extra Class license and maybe part of the motivation was that jerks couldn't downgrade me on THAT issue. Jerks can motivate you if you have proper response to their moronic stuff...
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2015, 04:25:08 PM »

so anyhow, is MATTJ a troll or something? No info in the profile... It's "losing" btw, not "loosing" hee hee...
KD8ZYH

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2015, 05:37:18 PM »

However, it is obvious that he is a "prepper" who is deluded into expecting the end of civilization and domestic war.

He truly is NOT a genuine ham.  (and I have never said that about anyone before).

This is interesting...on one hand we're telling Matt, there's something for everyone in ham, find another sandbox to play in.
Then this.....A prepper can't be a "genuine ham"? The fact is, he's part of a very large segment of hams.

But Matt.....I can't help but wonder....if you let some old grump bully you to the point of losing interest in ham, how you gonna react when/if the day you are prepping for actually comes?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 03:28:57 AM by KD8ZYH » Logged
KA0SBL

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2015, 11:49:21 PM »

Regarding jerks: The world is full of miserable fools that hide behind a keyboard or a radio trying to tear others down to make themselves feel better. Turn the big dial.

Regarding preppers: This falls under EmComm in my book, ergo it's legit. Encourage them to use and know their gear. Ask them if they'd buy a rifle and not bother to sight it in until after a zombie was gnawing on their bits.

Shocked

K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2015, 08:35:53 AM »

It's feeding time under the bridge, ignore the troll.  Let him find another hobby to whine about.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2015, 12:01:11 PM »

Matt

So, you have a problem with older people, you crave attention, and you think the FCC should step in when you disagree with something said 'on the airways'?

IMO, you won't find happiness in this hobby. It's not for lack of equipment.

AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2015, 05:30:06 PM »

It's not so much what the guy said, but it was the newbie's first intro into the net.
Not a very "warm and fuzzy" beginning, IMO...
Grandpa Grump had to assert his dominance and piss all over the the guy!
It's unfortunate, but not uncommon.
On the flip side, there are also lots of hams who are very welcoming and helpful. It's luck of the draw.

K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2015, 06:04:30 PM »

It's not so much what the guy said, but it was the newbie's first intro into the net.
Not a very "warm and fuzzy" beginning, IMO...
Grandpa Grump had to assert his dominance and piss all over the the guy!
It's unfortunate, but not uncommon.
On the flip side, there are also lots of hams who are very welcoming and helpful. It's luck of the draw.

Where exactly is it specified anyone in particular got a golden shower?

AF7EC

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2015, 11:58:56 AM »

Just like anything else in this world, there are grumpy, sad people and there are happy, enthused people.

Because I'm on the autism spectrum, I notice that in the past I tended to take nearly everything personally, and let sad, grumpy people bother me.  But in recent times, I think I've learned how to tune those people out and not let them bother me so much.  Since I'm a Christian, I try to pray for grumpy, negative, mean people like that.  More than likely they have some hurt stuck in their heart that's spilling over into their lives (including on-air behavior).

Matt, look into packet radio, or try building a home-made directional antenna for two-meters and see how many people you can reach on simplex (146.520, for example).  If you have a Tech license, try the ham exam tests on QRZ ( http://www.qrz.com/hamtest/ ) and use the web to brush up on areas you need work in.

Not everyone acts mean and nasty.  Check your private message and if you need to vent, e-mail me.  I'm just one of many people who enjoy the hobby and don't act mean or nasty.

God bless and 73!
Will
AF7EC
K4PIH

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2015, 06:30:41 AM »

I'm an old guy (60+), and I welcome new hams into the club I'm currently serving as president. Our Vice President is a very fine young man, Eagle Scout, big time contester, all-around good guy and we like it! I'm looking to him to be the new president. Sure we have some crochety old codgers but even they have to change or move on.

Don't let a few make you experience in ham radio negative.  Grin
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2015, 05:51:03 PM »

I fail to understand the mollycoddling.
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2015, 06:08:05 AM »

I fail to understand the mollycoddling.

K5TED:
I'm beginning to think that YOU were the NCS that he was talking about!
What the NCS said wasn't even true, but nothing more than "one-upmanship" or being a boorish braggard. It was uncalled for behavior and not a very good first impression. No coddling, but know that everyone has to start somewhere.

Do you understand yet?

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: