The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to send out newsletter. Ideas/advice/help?  (Read 6153 times)
KD8ZXU

Ignore
« on: June 28, 2016, 06:33:02 AM »

Hello everyone.
As a fairly new ham, I've volunteered to do our clubs newsletter. As I get information, I produce the newsletter. At the end of the month, I convert it to a PDF file and send it to our club's president. He checks it over then emails it out. Now here's the problem. His internet provider, same as mine, Charter, only allows 50 per hour so he has to send out 50, wait an hour to send out the next batch and so on. He does this from home with his email program. We currently have 160 members. Our website is hosted thru Bluehost. I've contacted them but as I don't have site access yet, the nice lady could not be much help but said we may need to put a mail program on our site and use scripts to automate it. Most mail programs cost money and specialize in mass emails. We do not do mass mailings. We only send it to current club members. You even have to be a club member to log in the website to see pass newsletters. As I am not a website expert, but since the database of our website has everyone's email address, can't we use that database on our host? So how does your club send out a newsletter and which program do you use?

Also, since our president uses his home program, that means he has to add and delete address on a regular basis. There has to be a better way.
Thanks all
Mitch Grant
KD8ZXU
N5EG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 06:54:40 AM »

Hi Mitch - one option is to use google groups which has an email reflector option.

Our club uses one, we set it up to be invisible to non-members so avoid someone harvesting addresses or posting spam.
It also allows attachments.  You send one email to the reflector and it sends a copy to everyone on the list.

There is a web interface to invite new folks to subscribe, to add/delete/change emails, etc. 
You can allow members to post, or prevent them from posting, etc.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!overview

-- Tom, N5EG

W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 08:17:49 PM »

Mitch,

For over 12 years, I've used a mailing list set up on YahooGroups to distribute my club's newsletter.  I believe we currently have about 300 email addresses on it (it's available free to anyone, even non-members of the club, which include ARRL staff/officials, other club newsletter editors, etc)

My PDF files can be anywhere from 1 to 3 MB, depending on the number of pictures included in a given month.  Not a problem.

But with that said, were I to set up another distribution list today, I'd probably switch to GoogleGroups.  We've already done that with the club email reflector.  YahooGroups has just made some administrative changes that I don't care for.   (And sometime in the near future, I'm importing the list and switching it over to GoogleGroups as well)

W1GVT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 11:29:16 AM »

Use Mailchimp. Like ConstantContact and other email marketing services it allows for large email lists with no blocking by ISPs that don't like you running bulk mailers on their servers. With Mailchimp you can have multiple users to manage the thing so you could post the newsletter and have your president login and make any edits as-necessary.

For up to 2000 email addresses the service is free at that level. There are built-in templates to make nicely designed newsletters that can be scheduled, sent to multiple groups and more. It also generates nice reports and can tie in with Twitter or Facebook if you're inclined. I've used it for years. The best part is it doesn't require allegiance to Google or Yahoo. (I don't get the entire "reflector" idea - too old school - which forces you to have some kind of Yahoo or Google account.)

www.mailchimp.com
« Last Edit: Today at 12:08:22 PM by W1GVT » Logged
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Today at 11:32:09 AM »

I second Mail Chimp.

I produce a bi-monthly newsletter for a railroad museum that has around 700 members.  Members can opt to receive the newsletter in either a printed black & white version sent by US Mail or a color version e-mailed as a PDF.  With the last issue, we mailed 374 printed copies and e-mailed PDF copies to 298 recipients.

The museum IT guys set me up with a MailChimp account that allows me to send out the PDF version in one shot and allows me to create a nice little template including the museum logo with a link to the issue.  The nice thing is that the MailChimp account is free as long as I adhere to certain conditions, such as the volume of e-mails I send out.

Works like a dream...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: