The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: reasons some clubs fail.  (Read 21768 times)
AC4BB

Ignore
« on: July 09, 2016, 01:10:17 PM »

I love the club ours just got wayyyyy  to political. when they stopped listening to common sense I quit them.
AB4ZT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 03:18:26 PM »

When you say "political", do you mean internal politics (like "company politics"), or do you mean they obsessed too much about "politics" politics.   They reason I ask is that a few years ago I decided to attend a local club meeting as a guest.  Talking to the president, he said "we talk radio, and 'other things'".  Warning. Warning. Danger Will Robinson.  Sure enough, talk devolved to highly partisan politics.  I never went back. 

Richard, AB4ZT
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 02:00:44 PM »

I got a club newsletter wherein the main editorial, written by the club president, was about how terrible the war in Iraq was. Not a word about radio in the article... I asked for my dues back and never got a reply. I was talking to the same guy about my original callsign, WV6IYL and he argued with me there had never been WV6 calls!! Outside of that one jerk it wasn't a bad club at all, they had some great events, not a lot of them but they were great... if you are sensitive and one jerk can put you off of something then a lot of clubs are going to be a problem I guess. I'm learning MBTI slowly, learning to understand that different people are wired differently. That makes it a lot easier to get along. It doesn't make everybody's behavior correct though.

How many clubs have a clubhouse with a workshop and test equipment? How many have interesting speakers every meeting? How many have a club station and a remote station for people that can't have their own? I'd think that a club's appeal to more people would increase the more they had to offer to all the different personality types and areas of interest, no?
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 05:30:29 AM »

Club politics is why I have not joined a ham club in decades.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 09:35:18 AM »

Clubs need to post "No politics allowed" signs!!  Roll Eyes
LONESTRANGER

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 04:19:23 PM »

Ours was obsessed with bylaws.  Spent the entire meeting once arguing over the meaning of ONE word in the bylaws.  Another problem was 90% obsession with D-Star, repeaters, Emcomm, etc.  Clubs not much use anymore, find some buds who enjoy the same operating as you and hang with them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: