Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Starting a High School Ham Club  (Read 3413 times)
KZ1X

Ignore
« on: August 06, 2000, 01:42:04 PM »

OK!  Good idea!

You need, in order:

1) other student hams, at least three others, who are interested (hint:  a VHF/UHF FM oriented group will not likely be perceived as having much educational value in today's world of cell phones and such)
2) a faculty advisor / sponsor, hopefully also a ham
3) a place to meet and preferably to install gear; must be secure
4) a charter and purpose statement that shows value to the school
5) antennas and equipment

If you have those 5 items, write back and we can certainly get you going.
KF6YGY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2000, 12:37:48 PM »

Hi, My name is Robert Dalley. I am in Long Beach,Ca. I am a juinor at Millikan High School. I started a club with my friend KD6ENO last year. Right now we are only set up for VHF,but were hoping to expand this year. Hopefully you will have full coperation from your adminestration. We didn't. If you want to carry an H-T in your backpack make sure you ask. We tried and we are not allowed as being told by the school districts lawyers. What class of licsecse are you? I am only a tech but hopefully becoming a general in the next few months. Well if you want to ask more questions feel free to email me. Hope I gave you some info that you can use,plus whatever else you have gotten. 73s Rob KF6YGY
KF6UEF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2000, 08:26:07 PM »

Hi!!

Homestead High School has one in Sunnyvale
(Sunnyvale must be the most "ham" friendly city in
Silicon Valley... Antennas everywhere ;-) )..

See:

http://members.aol.com/ke6svy/club.html

maybe ask them for some pointers.

Antonio
K6ALF
ex KF6UEF
KF6OTP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2000, 04:10:34 PM »

Hi,

I'm a junior at a high school in San Jose, CA.  There is no ham radio club at the school (there was one that folded 18 years ago) so I would like to restart the club.  If there are any hams out there who had any experience starting and running a school ham radio club, or just being in one, I'd love to talk to you.  

Thanks, and 73 de Pat Semansky, KF6OTP!
KB0STE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2001, 12:01:42 AM »

I am the sponsor for a ham radio club in our sachool.  We have three ham's and one that tested but I havent heard if he passed.  What I would like suggestions with is an outline of a effective curriculum for teaching radio to HS and MStudents.  Any lesson plan suggestions and duration of time to reasonably expect to be ready to test.  73 de Dave, KB0STE
N3SKO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2001, 08:42:15 AM »

We have started an Army MARS club station in a local
high school (Mt Pleasant HS, Wilmington DE).  It took three MARS members to sponsor, but the advantage is that we can let students participate in HF and VHF nets without a ham license (as long as they operate from the club station). We have a number of JROTC cadets who get credit for participating in a public service activity.

Today is the final day of amateur radio training - the test is this coming Saturday.  We are hoping to get 10-15 students testing.  The student with the highest score gets a Yaesu FT-2600M station, which stimulated a lot of competition among the students.

Hope we have 10-15 new Techs on Saturday!

73's john, N3SKO/AAT3BF/AAM3O

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2001, 01:33:15 AM »

Our local Athens High School, in the shadow of Ohio University, has had a challenge maintaining a presence and attracting interest for Ham Radio in this age of computers, game boys, and internet hotmail and chat rooms.  However, the local computer instructor persists, and a club does exist.

You might ask him how he did/does it.  Contact Sam Slattery, N8SUZ.   He's also an active member of the Athens County Amateur Radio Association, and about a dozen other community groups.

By the way, colleges and universities are experiencing the same trouble attracting students as well.  Ohio University has maintained a group name, if not a call sign, but has a very energetic sponsor right now also.  (One group feeds the other...got it?)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: