Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to Get New Members...  (Read 904 times)
N7FAN

Ignore
« on: August 29, 2002, 04:21:42 PM »

As a visitor to a club, what would you like to see that would make you inclined to join that club?

I'll give you my list of things that a club should do to convert a visitor into a new member. (Not in any sort of order except for 1 & 2.)

1. Ask for an e-mail address on the sign-in sheet. Also ask if they are a visitor.

2. Follow-up with a e-mail from either the president or the membership chairman a couple of days after the meeting.  Show some human interest.

3. Have a couple of club brochures and/or current/recent newsletters on a table for visitors to pick up and read.

4. If you have a webpage, make sure it is current in regards to meeting times and locations!

5. One of the first things on the agenda needs to be introductions...unless it is obvious that there is no visitors or newer members there. If it's only regulars at the meeting you can forgo this.

6. If you see a new person, introduce yourself.  There is a very good chance that person will not remember your name or call for very long, but it will make a world of difference.  The president/head of the group should make the rounds and briefly talk to each visitor either before the meeting, or during the break.

Each and every visitor should leave the meeting feeling like they were really appreciated.  No one should be sitting in the back of the room while everyone else ignores him/her.  Do NOT make it incumbent upon the visitor to take the initiative to run around the room and meet everyone...they're the guest, not you.

7. Make sure that something is sent as a follow-up...usually by e-mail.  The club should have some sort of stock information about what it does and any events it participates in.  Some PR information.

You never know, that new person who walked in the door and is sitting quietly in the back of the room might be an assistant to the CEO of a big corporation in your area and might be looking at various groups to see about potential donations.  Or it could be a reporter looking to do a human interest piece for 9/11 tributes, or some such.

Always treat that potential member like they are made of gold...for it is on them that your group's future rides!

David, N7FAN
NK2U

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2002, 04:49:58 PM »

Easy, to get new members, build a 1.2 GHz repeater and do something new.  
NK2U

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2002, 04:49:59 PM »

Easy, to get new members, build a 1.2 GHz repeater and do something new.  
KG4AUQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2003, 12:39:41 PM »

I especally agree with #6.
I'm on the board of directors of the local chapter of a national car club. We consistantly sign up and maintain more members than any other chapter and I directly attribute it to metting guests and making them feel welcome. In fact we make it the #1 priority for all board members to personally welcome guests and get to know their individual interests.

I recently went to my first meeting of one of the radio clubs in Atlanta. NOT ONE member or boardmember introduced themselves. In fact if I hadn't made ALL the effort, I wouldn't have had one person speak to me at all. By the time I left, I had joined this organization, mainly because I felt obligated to support them as I do occasionally use their repeater system... not because I had been made to feel welcome.
5B4FT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2003, 09:59:33 AM »

I'm a member of the radio club of 5b4es but they stoped opperating because they are afraid that they are not realy able of handling an hf transiver.they are wrong, they have the knolage to do it .what can i do to raise their spirits again, and make them confidentfor themselvs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: