About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: club  (Read 752 times)
KA7RRA

Ignore
« on: October 22, 2003, 05:22:07 AM »

IAm thinking about joining a club. but I have to be  voted on by the members of the club,in order to belong,which has always botherd me. The board also has to aprove your AP then you are voted on by the members  Would you join a club if you have to be  voted in??  
Dave  
N7NBB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2003, 10:38:12 AM »

First, I would want to read the by-Laws and club charter to see if there were any other items that might make me "sorry" I was associated with them.
If you can't do that without being a "member" then they are hiding something... and you would be better off without joining such an elitist and secretive club.
What would you hope to attain by becoming a member?

Things might be on the level, and they are using this "approval" trumpcard to keep out the undesireables... (they might say "CBer Mentality" or other ugly comments)
or, perhaps like an RV-park I've read about in the Southwest, You can't even hope to park your RV there unless it is one of those "half-MILLION DOLLAR PLUS" bus conversions... the owners of the park make no bones about it. Then only want the higher dollar clients.

Some organizations require background checks with local or federal law enforcement - due to the nature of disaster and emergency work, or working with the elderly or small children, etc... so, there may be a very good reason they have that "requirement" in place...

Do some checking... know what you are getting yourself into BEFORE the vote.

Cam

KI4BUN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2004, 12:53:09 AM »

A political convention of "legends in their own minds" I would surmise!

I'd thank them and leave post haste! The Ham radio community, for the most part, is made up of generous and gracious individuals!

One joins a club to learn from and enjoy the fellowship of the other members. Any club that "votes" on membership has some "seriously" problems. They take themselves too seriously.

Keep looking. There are clubs around that aren't anal retentive and will enjoy your association ....without "voting" for you!
KG4PZZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2004, 08:42:31 PM »

I wouldn't be hesitated to join.

All the local clubs I belong to have the same procedure.  Apply, members vote, and you're in.

The procedure usually goes something like this
President: "Joe Smith has applied for membership.  He's interested in APRS, Meteor scatter, CW, and public service.  He's just moved to the area from Maine and has paid his $15 dues.  He's an extra class and has been licensed since 1900."
Somebody motions we accept the new member, it's seconded, and then he's voted in.

I believe the reason we have that policy in place is to keep some "no-goods" out.  We have a few in the area that are ... less than good ops.  And it's known.  Every place has them.  Keeps them from just joining in -- we can pick and choose, in a way.  I've yet to see anybody not voted in.

Don't be afraid.  It's probably just a technicality, something "just in case".

Fred
K4PZZ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: