Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FRG-7700 attempting service  (Read 375 times)
RS177889

Ignore
« on: March 05, 2003, 01:28:19 PM »

I'm attampting to ressurect an FRG-7700 that is in need of TLC...

1. The AF control is faulty on operation cutting in and out... and seems to indicate (especially due to rig condition, more than a bit dusty .. vaccuming it) that the wipers are either dirty or worn.

I'm trying to identify what the AF control is... it seems to be a dual gang 10K pot which on the circuit (I only have the scanned circuit) VR1a & b where a is the AF and b is the tone circuit. Can anyone tell me (parts list lookup?) what this component is ? I may attempt a replacement after a jury rigged test with an alternative.

Otherwise can anyone suggest a clean or fix ?

2. The rig seems to operate fine in CW but has anyone had any success with use of any AF filters... if so which ones ?

BTW if anyone has the instruction/service manual electronically I'd be grateful for a copy :-)

Thanks in advance.

Dominic
KG6GLN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2003, 11:28:26 PM »

If you can get to the pots behind the AF dial, take some contact cleaner, use the kind with a thin tube that attaches to the aerosol can nozzle, and squirt a little into it to get it to wet the wiper section.  Then rotate the pots back and forth.  If that doesn't help, then there may be som "dead" spots in the carbon film.  The only cure for that is to call Yaesu for a possible replacement or find a substitute yourself.

As for the filters, the FRG-7700 has a good selection as is, unless you want to go down into the sub 500 Hz width.  You can still get an instruction manual from Yaesu.  It's a pretty poor photocopy, but you can certainly understand how to use it.  The diagrams and schematics are pretty worthless however.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: