Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to request donations for new college club  (Read 1421 times)
KC2FDQ

Ignore
« on: September 10, 2005, 08:08:41 PM »

I am attempting to start a college amateur radio club.  I am looking for some donations.  I am looking to set up a VHF/UHF and HF station.  Does anyone know where I can go to look for donations?
ARRLFAN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 12:44:08 PM »

Dude --

I also am starting a College Ham radio club -- so please send me equipment and funds and I promise that they will not go to women and beer but to ham radio equipment that i will take with me the moment i leave colleg or sell on Ebay first chance I get -- but unfortunately I have been out of college for about 5 years now but hey -- if they are dumb enough to send you money then I might get lucky too...

Anyway -- have you tried the ARRL???
N3BIF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 06:49:20 AM »

see if school had one in the past, maybe you could reactivate it.

contact other college clubs ask how they "did it"

check local clubs see if anyone can assist

go thru the administration list looking for hams currently on staff, you might find someone willing to help.

pester the science and tech dept.
KB6NU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005, 11:51:58 AM »

Students at the University of Michigan recently revived the club there. One of the more successful things they did to raise funds and outfit their shack is to contact alumni. Good luck!

73!

Dan KB6NU
MI Section Affiliated Club Coordinator
AB2MH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 09:53:12 AM »

This is an old thread but better late than never.

First thing to do would be to formally present the club to your student council.  They have funds which they distribute to clubs.  If you present your club well, and go through the proper channels, you will get funding.

If your school has an EE department or even CS, get them involved and show them that angle.  They will often be more than happy to help.

My college (Poly U Brooklyn NY) did that and they have a ham radio club now.  I haven't been involved but that's how they got funding.

Trying to revive an old club is probably a waste of time.  It is better to start from scratch.  There will probably be an old shack and maybe antennas sitting around collecting dust somewhere but it will take a lot of work to get revived again, and the gear will probably be old.  IT is an avenue to explore, but I think it's a waste of time.  

Good luck!
AB2MH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 09:54:05 AM »

By the way, contacting alumni is a good suggestion, but try to get the club through student council first.  They could probably help with getting donations from alumni.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: