Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VXA-700 Modifications  (Read 5041 times)
N6CAV

Ignore
« on: April 15, 2003, 04:54:34 PM »

Has anyone got MARS/CAP modifications for the Vertex Standard VXA-700?

Craig
AE6HC
PHILIPHB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2003, 10:51:40 PM »

Please let me know if you find out the MARS/CAP Mod.
Philip
KB1IZN
philiphb2@excite.com
N0OTM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2003, 03:33:26 PM »

Please add me to the list if someone has the MARS/CAP mods.

Great Radio, Now I only have to carry one radio in the balloon. Can talk to my chase crew (wife is licensed) and talk / listen to ATC as needed.

Joe
N0OTM
KD8FV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2003, 09:30:13 PM »

Also add me to the list For mods caps/mars.. I order one of these radios and should have it by the end of the week.. Hope I wont be disappointed...
KB9JOZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2003, 06:43:44 PM »

Does anyone know if this radio is even capable of MARS/CAP?  According to the literature I've seen it doesn't have extended FM recieve...only from 144-148 MHz.  Does the MARS/CAP mod extend the coverage?  If so by how much?

Andy
PHILIPHB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2003, 12:00:28 AM »

I doubt that Yaesu would manufacture a 2 meter Transciever that couldn't be expanded.  There are many places in the world where this radio will end up where the frequency allocation will be different than here in the USA.  It does have the four unpopulated solder pins under the battery cover.  The question is what is the right cover/uncover configuration?
N0OTM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2003, 02:14:37 PM »

The lit is incomplete. The VFO for Narrow band FM covers 137 - 165 Mhz.

Got the MH-44 speaker mike. The 3.5mm jack screws into the plug. Can't come loose and maintains it's watertight seal. Note:Checked with Yeasu (V/S).The speaker mike for the VX-7 will not work in the VXA-700. The 700 is set up for aircraft headsets. Only the MH-44 is supposed to work.

73 de N0OTM
Joe
KD8FV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2003, 08:50:02 PM »

I just got my VXA-700 and when I hooked up the headset the audio to the headset speakers didn't work until I pushed sideways on the plug that screws into the top of the radio, when I stop pushing the audio stops working again.. I e-mail tech support to see what they say. I will report when they reply.. Other then that peoblem I like the radio a lot. Mark (KD8FV)
WU1M

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2003, 08:34:09 AM »

Recently bought the new Vertex "Spirit" and am very happy with it. Operating manual is a bit lacking though! Was up the flying the other day and tried to use it but got RF feedback! I had my headset (DC 10-13.4) plugged into the rig via the supplied adapter cord (which was properly screwed in)and was using the supplied rubber duck antenna. The rigs internal mic was in the default (off) position (I checked it and when the headset adapter is plugged in the rigs mic is off). The aircraft radios where turned off. The "squeal" was quite evident when I tried to talk on the airband and not quite as loud (but there just the same) on the 2 meter band. Since I rent, I don't have access to an external antenna on the planes I fly. If I hold the rig at least arms length away from me the RF feedback was reduced somewhat.  I tried it with several different headsets and got the same results. Was able to duplicate the problem later at home & the RF feedback was greatly reduced (but there). Using my roof mounted antenna cured the problem! RF is obviously getting in via the headset line. Anyone else experience this? I see this as a real potential problem for users in a real primary radio failure situation. Any ideas?
PHILIPHB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2003, 09:06:50 PM »

Try winding the wire around a choke, 3 or 4 turns).

Still waiting for some brave soul to post the MARS/CAP mod

Philip Brown
KB1IZN
N0OTM

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2003, 01:02:30 PM »

Just returned from Dayton. Talked with the Yeasu (Vertex/Standard)factory rep. The mod has been released by the factory, but only to the factory repair shop.He suggested contacting Tech support to find out the cost and documentation required.

Aviation Technical Support
(6:30 am - 5 pm PST):
(714) 827-7600
(714) 527-9472 FAX
Email: yaesuavionics@vxstdusa.com

Talked with one of the Radio mods shops at Dayton. They did not have have the info, yet.

Bottom line the mod is available, but only from Yeasu.

N0OTM

PHILIPHB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2003, 08:04:44 PM »

Just got this fro Yaesu:
Philip,
There is a MARS/CAP modification available for the VXA-700. This
modification cannot be applied in the field.  The radio must be returned to
our repair facility in Cypress, CA for modification.  Please send the radio
properly packaged and insured to:

Vertex Standard
MARS/CAP Mod
10900 Walker Street
Cypress, CA 90630

Please include a copy of your MARS or CAP credentials.  Your radio will not
be modified without valid credentials. Also include a note requesting this
modification, your daytime phone number and return address.  Please allow 10
working days for this modification.  Please ship the radio to us at your
cost and we will return it to you UPS 3 day at our cost.

Thank you for choosing Vertex Standard
Sincerely,
Fred Kix
Technical Support Manager
Vertex Standard Land Mobile Division
10900 Walker Street
Cypress, CA 90630
(714) 827-7600
www.yaesu.com

Come on now, there has to be a way to do this ourselves!
VE3KXX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2003, 12:18:41 AM »

Here is what I've found out so far.

4 jumper pads back of radio facing you and antenna connector up.

(x) (o) (o) (o)
88-108 WFM (rx)
108-136.975 AM (118 - 136.975 tx all other (nav) rx)
137-165 (RX ONLY!)

(o) (x) (o) (o)
88-108 WFM (rx)
137-165 (tx from 144-148 all other rx)

(o) (o) (x) (o)
88-108 WFM (rx)
144-148 (RX ONLY!)

(o) (o) (o) (x)
88-108 WFM (rx)
144-146 (tx rx)

I have tried combinations of all 4 jumpers with little results over what I posted here.  My radio seems to have a lot of "fixes and patches" on the board - there is also a "suspicious" looking green wire loop on the board underneath the back cover - this may yield some results - I have not tried this.

As usual - don't try this if you are the least bit skittish about working with small electronics - the solder pads are quite delicate and very close to other components on the board.  I don't take any responsibility for your actions - I just report what I have found.  Differing versions/countries of radio may give you different results so YMMV.

Have fun and 73's!
RVC

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2003, 01:56:07 AM »

Thank you for the VXA-700 information.

Having an aviation application, I need help understanding the VXA-700 MARS/CAP mod.  Our radios need expanded Tx above the 148 Mhz level for dual use air and commercial ground support.  We do not use the 144-148 amateur frequencies but do use commercial frequencies in the 148 to 165 area in support of air operations.  Our VXA700's came configured to Rx above 148 Mhz and do so well. We need the ability to Tx to ground support personal on commercial frequencies just above 148 MHz.
Can anyone explain PRECISELY what the VXA700 MARS/CAP modification does/does not do.

Thank you in advance.
N0OTM

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2003, 04:03:56 PM »

The MARS (Military Amateur Radio Service) / CAP (Civil Air Patrol) mods allow Amateur Radios to transmit out of Amateur band. MARS uses the freqs just below 144 and CAP uses the freqs just above 148. Typically this mod opens up the TX to the full extent of the VHF VFO. In the case of the VXA-700, it may transmit from 138 - 165Mhz after the mod. If you are in the aviation business, you should know someone in the CAP.

What we need is for someone in the CAP to send in their radio and take before and after pics. The only reason I can think of that is has to be done at a factory service center is if there is is a firmware change.

Joe
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: