Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VXA-700 Modifications  (Read 5293 times)
KC7BLD

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2003, 03:31:21 AM »

I was just wondering if anyone has come up with the MARS/CAP mod for this wonderful little radio yet?
RADIOTECH92

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2003, 11:28:05 AM »

Helpful information: Yaesu isn't releasing the mod info to the geneal public for the VXA-700 because FAA rules do not allow aircraft radios to be modified by anyone other than the manufacturer or a certified aircraft radio technician.

I'm hoping to look through the posting in a few weeks and being able to see a mod listed for the VXA-700. Possibly AM and FM tx and rx from 108-170. Good luck!!!!
AEROZOCHE

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2003, 10:01:20 AM »

I am not a Ham (yet), but I am a pilot. I am looking at the VXA-700 as a great backup Nav/Com as well as my first HT. I know that this unit is very similar (at least in appearance) to the VX-7, which is capable of reaching at least 6m, 2m, 1.25m and 440Mhz bands without mods.
My question is whether anyone knows if those ham bands are some how available with some jumper or software mods. It seems that the VXA-700 is very similar to the Ham HT VX-7, but it is pretty hard to tell whether the hardware inside may be different. From what I gather the software on these Vertex Standard/Yaesu radios is fairly advanced and powerful (thus controlling the user interface and Tx/Rx capabilities).
I see the jumper mod information above, it may be helpful, but I cannot determine whether there maybe some other options which would expand the Ham bands.
Any thoughts or information: my thanks! Smiley
VE3KXX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2003, 10:26:58 AM »

Indeed the hardware inside is different - I have tried the
combinations of the 4 (obvious) jumpers inside with small
sucesses of RX expansion.

I think that the RF deck is sufficiently different from the VX-7
to preclude it from having any TX outside of the VHF bands and
possibly RX outside of these bands as well.

The logic deck is a different story though - Looking at the VX-7
and the VXA-700 the logic deck is fairly similar which leads me
to believe that there is "hope" for a user mod but expect that
it is likely a software modification and not specifically a
hardware one.  They probably use a commom board between the two
and use different firmware in the processor.

The box says "PC programmable" - now if we can find out the
keypresses needed to get into clone mode then the rest may be
history.

That's my .02 worth - I've been VERY happy with my VXA-700
thusfar.

73's

VE3KXX/VP9
ZS-GJV

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2003, 04:45:51 PM »

This is not really a question about modifying the 700... (sorry)

Can someone let me know if it supports "side tone". The literature seems to be silent on this.

Thanks, KS
N6CAV

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2003, 05:27:52 PM »

Page 37 of the manual and the brochure both mention CTCSS and DCS operation for 144Mhz operation.  Here are links to both.  You'll probably need to do several
 cut and pastes into your navigator address field.

http://www.vertexstandard.com/downloadFile.cfm?FileID=221&FileCatID=61&FileName=VXA-700 Brochure.pdf&FileContentType=application

http://www.vertexstandard.com/downloadFile.cfm?FileID=224&FileCatID=66&FileName=VXA-700.pdf&FileContentType=application

Craig
AE6HC
ZS-GJV

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2003, 04:19:45 AM »

Thanks for the link. However, the "side tone" facility that I am referring to is the ability to hear your own voice through a headset when transmitting. This is very useful to help moderate your tone and pace.

The VXA 210 and 150 had the facility - does anyone know if the 700 supports it?

Regards, KS
AEROZOCHE

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2003, 04:41:28 PM »

Thanks VE3KXX for the insights. I suppose I should conclude then that the VXA-700 will forever be a VHF only unit. I did notice that the second jumper configuration did allow Rx on 137-165 which is I might find helpful because I might also find this radio helpful as either a scanner on fire/ems frequencies. If there were some way to allow Tx in this range it could also serve me as a transceiver!
Maybe it is already doing enough for me as FM/NAV/COM/2m/Wx/(scanner) radio Wink

Too bad they can't stick with a radio a little closer to the VX-7r and include the COM Tx and VOR display capabilities...then it could add: "real nice tri/band ham" to it's already impressive resume.

VE3KXX, thanks again for the reply. If you find out what the suspicious little green wire loop is, let us know. (I have a friend that changed that wire in a mod on another Yaesu HT, but I don't know what it did)

oh, BTW: I did run across some mods for the VX-7 and there are reportedly 8 jumpers on it. thus it must be at least somewhat different hardware.
thanks again,
K3FOG

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2003, 02:53:10 PM »

I just bought VXA-700 a few days ago. I am also a member of Civil Air Partol (CAP). I checked the CAPHQ national web site and they say that the VXA-700 is not NTIA compliant (wideband, narrow, P-25). CAP has gone under USAF frequency management standards and lots of ham gear no longer meets the standard to transmit on CAP frequencies above the 2 meter ham band.

For further info click on

https://ntc.cap.af.mil/comm/equipment/vhf_Detail.cfm?rec_id=710

Also look at https://ntc.cap.af.mil/comm/sunset.htm

for equiptment susnset dates

I sent a snail mail letter to Vertex Standard in CA asking if they agree/disagree with CAPs analysis. I will post the reply when I receive it.
K3FOG

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2003, 05:47:08 AM »

Dear Mr. Felix,

You are correct the VXA-700 does not meet CAP (NITA) specifications. Despite this, people have been getting them modified for CAP operation. Their opinion is they can use this radio in "emergency" situations.  You can
get your radio modified by following the procedure below:

While the VXA-700 does not meet CAP specification for frequency stability, there is a MARS/CAP modification available for the VXA-700. This modification allows the radio to TX and RX just above and below the amateur
2 meter band, within the MARS/CAP range.  This modification cannot be applied in the field.  The radio must be returned to our repair facility in
Cypress, CA for modification.  Please send the radio properly packaged and
insured to:

Vertex Standard
MARS/CAP Mod
10900 Walker Street
Cypress, CA 90630

Please include a copy of your MARS or CAP credentials.  Your radio will not
be modified without valid credentials. Also include a note requesting this
modification, your daytime phone number and return address.  Please allow 10
working days for this modification.  Please ship the radio to us at your
cost and we will return it to you UPS 3 day at our cost.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Thank you for choosing Vertex Standard

Sincerely,

Fred Kix
Technical Support Manager
Vertex Standard Land Mobile Division
10900 Walker Street
Cypress, CA 90630
Phone:(714) 827-7600
FAX: (888) 679-8046
f.kix@vxstdusa.com
www.vertexstandard.com

MGTTRMN

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2003, 10:23:34 PM »

the 700 spirit does support sidetone with an aviation headset.
KG6HXO

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2003, 11:45:10 AM »

Vertex will do the CAP mod for you. You will need to send it to Vertex, but they admitted they have a Mod for it. You may have to show prooof of CAP membership. I suggest if you send the unit, you first photo or scan your PC board so we can autopsy the mod!
KB6FNR

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2003, 09:18:31 AM »

there are vxa-700 batterys  fnb-80li on ebay ,
 type  " vx-7r battery " in the search box  . this battery is totaly compatable with the vxa-700 and works fine on my vxa-700 , take a look !
KB6FNR

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2003, 09:20:33 AM »

i hate sqeeling  MOTHER - IN - LAWS !
KX3S

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2003, 10:33:08 PM »

Save your pictures....there is no internal mod.  MARS/CAP is programmed/enabled via software and so far have cloned and re-programmed using the CE56 for Windows program.  
Maybe a hidden key/function?
It transmits up to 161.610!
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: