Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: High School Club  (Read 1282 times)
WP4NXA

Ignore
« on: June 14, 2008, 08:40:32 PM »

Hi, in my high school, the pricipal just recently allowed me to start an amateur club for the next school year. Every start of year, there is a club fair for all clubs in school to recruit people. What do you think I can put on the poster board or anything about amateur radio that can attract teenagers to join but keeping the purpose of amateur radio at the same time. Also, any ideas of what I should do for the club. By the way, I do have a teacher for the club advisor already, though we don't have a station yet. Suggestions or advise?

Thanks.
73s
KE5UVL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 09:23:57 PM »

Bring a radio up there. When people walk by say "Want to talk?" have them talk with your station ID while you monitor.

Nothing better than people seeing first hand.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 03:46:06 PM »

Contact the ARRL and see if they can give you some materials (hand outs, posters, etc).

Find a way to explain to students that ham radio includes linking computers via long distance HF radio (no Internet or other infrastucture required). Put up some info about working satellites. Show them there is more than just talking on an HT to someone in the next town via a repeater.
N5WD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 03:17:24 AM »

Tsui,

If the fair at your school is like the activities fair at the school at which I teach (and sponsor the ham radio club NW5HS), it's loud, crowded, and not conducive to long, drawn-out explanations about ham radio.  With that in mind, we usually have a video projector showing a video tape (obtained from the ARRL) that shows the various aspects of ham radio, including communicating with the ISS.  The kids don't necessarily have to be able to hear everything the video is saying, but they can see it and maybe catch their interest as they're walking by.

We also have some fliers printed up IN COLOR that shows the club station, some of the kids making contacts on the radio and with HT's... the fliers mention license classes that will be held in the coming weeks, and gives the dates and times for the club meetings.

Oh, and we usually have something free to give out on the table... bubblegum, candies, etc.    You know kids... if they can eat it...
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 09:51:18 PM »

Sui,

You don't have an e-mail address posted so I have no other way to contact you other than this posting.

I would like you to contact me so that we can disscuss my interest in helping get your club started. I'm offering to purchase and donate equipment for your club. My reason and interest for doing this is not only to support you in what your doing, but believe education is important and would like to see others with the same drive you have. Ham Radio can provide such education in time that will help you guys excell in school.

I commend you and 73!
Eric
N2RRA
www.n2rranyc.com
email: n2rra@aol.com
CLEBOT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 07:56:19 AM »

I just started a club at the school where I teach.
We are the Conroe High School Amateur Radio Club, K2CHS, located in Conroe, TX

Drop me an e-mail if you want more info.

tigerhams@yahoo.com

73 and hope your club gets up and running soon!

Gerrit, KE5HVM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: