Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why not more women in ham radio?  (Read 256415 times)
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2013, 05:53:19 AM »

As to some of the unfortunate stereotypes proffered above,

Rosemary Thornton
KK4APV

I'm not exactly which remarks are those to which you're referring, and I certainly hope not mine.  The gist is the OP's posting as well as the long stream of replies indicate a pretty genuine desire for more women in our hobby.

I don't get the "unfortunate stereotypes" part, but then again, I'm just a guy.

Girls rule.

KK4APV

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2013, 08:58:39 PM »

As to some of the unfortunate stereotypes proffered above,

Rosemary Thornton
KK4APV

I'm not exactly which remarks are those to which you're referring, and I certainly hope not mine.  The gist is the OP's posting as well as the long stream of replies indicate a pretty genuine desire for more women in our hobby.

I don't get the "unfortunate stereotypes" part, but then again, I'm just a guy.

Girls rule.

The "unfortunate stereotypes" were not that numerous, actually.

However...

When I attend ham events with my male friend, there is an assumption that he's the ham guy and I'm just the chick getting dragged around to this stuff.

If only I had a nickle for every man who asked, "So, when are YOU going to get your license?"

It does wear thin after a time.

K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2013, 06:49:25 AM »

Oh, you could have some fun with that, Rosemary.  Give the condescending tool a few minutes to really dig himself a hole by asking him about ham radio and telling him how smart he is.  Then have a friend call you on your HT which is out of view.  Answer with your call, and ask if he had any luck finding you an antenna analyzer that breaks the reactance into capacitive and inductive components.

KA8OCN

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2013, 06:10:57 PM »

I can't tell you about a lot of Women, but I can tell you about 2, my Wife just is not intrested in any way. My Sister is retired, has a 100 ft tower for her wind generator. She has done a lot for me over the years and I was overjoyed when she told me she would like to get her license. I set her up with some books and a account on www.hamtestonline.com and she was passing her General regularly. I told her to go to her local Radio Club and ask them about the testing sessions in her area.
She would not say what happened but she never went to be tested, she was unimpressed in the class or lack there of with the people she talked with at the club. All she would tell me is "I don't think they want women there"

I only know this because I had purchased her a used TS-2000 for her first rig and she called me to say she no longer wanted it and had no intrest in Amateur Radio anymore.

K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2013, 07:41:08 PM »

Sheez......sorry to read that.  It doesn't surprise me, though.  More women in the hobby might mean more hams actually having to bathe and wear something presentable.

Tell her to not give up hope; there are lots and lots of good people out there, men and women.

K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2013, 01:54:28 PM »

My Sister is retired, has a 100 ft tower for her wind generator. She has done a lot for me over the years and I was overjoyed when she told me she would like to get her license. I set her up with some books and a account on www.hamtestonline.com and she was passing her General regularly. I told her to go to her local Radio Club and ask them about the testing sessions in her area.
She would not say what happened but she never went to be tested, she was unimpressed in the class or lack there of with the people she talked with at the club. All she would tell me is "I don't think they want women there"

I only know this because I had purchased her a used TS-2000 for her first rig and she called me to say she no longer wanted it and had no intrest in Amateur Radio anymore.

i wish she had brought a smart phone with her and had video (or just audio).  The fool(s) who turned her off to ham radio would be exposed and the ham community could give them a little feedback
KK4APV

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2013, 04:25:28 PM »

Oh, you could have some fun with that, Rosemary.  Give the condescending tool a few minutes to really dig himself a hole by asking him about ham radio and telling him how smart he is.  Then have a friend call you on your HT which is out of view.  Answer with your call, and ask if he had any luck finding you an antenna analyzer that breaks the reactance into capacitive and inductive components.

I *really* like the way you think!!! 

Smiley

Seriously, I could share a few stories about some of the crap I've run into. Just a couple months ago, I had an Obnoxious Old Ham Guy laugh out loud IN FRONT OF SEVERAL MEN and *really* carry on about how sad it was that I had to study to pass the General because "it was so easy."

He added, "If you had to study for the General, don't even bother ever trying for the Extra."

When my male friend and I walked away, my male friend said, "What a jackass."

In other words, Obnoxious Old Ham Guy hurt himself a lot more than he hurt me.

Rose
KK4APV

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2013, 11:54:26 AM »

PS. to the above.

I just returned from Charlottesville, VA. I sat for the Extra exam this morning and passed!!  Only four wrong! 

Smiley x 100!

K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: March 23, 2013, 02:50:52 PM »

Congrats!   Smiley
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2013, 06:46:16 AM »

Congratulations! 
KQ9J

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2013, 07:29:22 AM »

KK4APV:  Congratulations on the test!  Good job!

My wife has no interest in getting a ham license, but she often asks me if I have made any good DX contacts or found anything interesting on the air. She listens intently and is genuinely interested when I tell her about my operating, or plans for this and that antenna or radio. AND she told me before we got married that I could put up whatever I wanted for antennas!

She is too kind to say much, but I know she thinks some of my male ham friends are kinda weird. Hell, they ARE, LOL.

But the last swapmeet we went to we met not only the surgeon who who worked on me twice, but another physician who happens to be her audiologist....and they are both hams. I think that helped her realize that there are at least two other hams out there who aren't socially inept, unwashed or ugly Smiley
KA1VF

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: March 28, 2013, 07:30:45 AM »

I'm making an educated guess that the percentage of women Hams
and the percentage of women Hunters would be quite similar stats.

Bob
KK4APV

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: April 02, 2013, 05:34:36 AM »

I think there are *probably* more women hams than hunters.

However, I do have two women friends who love deer hunting. I think I must hang out with a different crowd of women.  Smiley 

KI7DG

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: April 02, 2013, 11:05:34 AM »

Well I guess you could make the mistake I made.  I was talking my wife into getting her ham ticket, as a selling point I casually mentioned that they had made the tests so easy that even a woman could pass it.  END OF DICUSSION!!!.  The topic was never mentioned again and she never lets me forget either.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2013, 04:01:22 AM »

Well I guess you could make the mistake I made.  I was talking my wife into getting her ham ticket, as a selling point I casually mentioned that they had made the tests so easy that even a woman could pass it.  END OF DICUSSION!!!.  The topic was never mentioned again and she never lets me forget either.

I'm not surprised--look at the uproar that the Geico commercial about over the internet caused a while ago--"Insurance so easy (over the internet) that even a caveman can do it!"

Hey, they do it to us too.  How about the one 'Cooking so easy that even a man can't mess it up...'   Grin  It's too bad that people are so easily offended these days.  Now the political correctness is even coming between a husband and wife....
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: