Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood MC-60 mic question  (Read 968 times)
WM5E

Ignore
« on: September 27, 2006, 09:10:26 PM »

I purchased a used MC-60 mic and I have heard from many to leave the mic amp switched off.  That's fine, but naturally I tried it out and the audio sounds bad with the preamp in.  It's not RF getting into it as I looked at the audio from just the mic with my scope and it's pretty bad...and really low. Much lower than with the preamp out???  In looking at the circuit (the schematic is really not helpful) I'm seeing the NPN transistor biased properly but the mic input seems to be going to the collector and the audio out seems to be coming from the base.  That's just more than a little odd I think.
The bias looks correct for a common emitter arrangement, but the signal seems backwards.  The real weird thing is that there has been no work done on the board.  I tested the components (there are only a small number)and everything tested out fine.  The audio just gets pulled down as soon as the switch is moved into the preamp in position.  The batteries are good and the mic sounds great in the straight through mode.  There doesn't seem to be a lot of information on these mics on the internet other than folks saying to bypass the preamp because of RF.   I hope someone can shed some light on this for me.
Thanks,
Gene   WM5E
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 02:27:32 PM »

hi gene,

perhaps something got lost in the translation
from j->eng. in the manual ?

here is a great kenwood mic group

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KenwoodMics/

you'll get the answers there !

73 james
WB9JOX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 09:40:43 PM »

I have a MC 60 MIC.Keep preamp switch out and slide impedance switch from 500 to 50 k. Should work just fine.If you are using on either 930 or 940.Do not use processing. I get good reports.  Ted
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: