Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS-130SE Tx problem  (Read 322 times)
G7THL

Ignore
« on: October 04, 2006, 06:09:30 AM »

HI, hope someone can help - having the following issue with my TS-130SE:

When transmitting into a dummy load I get the following outputs:

3.5mhz - 40w
7mhz - 20w
14mhz - 10w
etc etc until up in 10m it barely makes the needle twitch.

The lc needle also shows the same sort of proportional ouput and does not reach the figures mentioned in the manual.

Any ideas please?

73's Dave G7THL
W3FJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 04:57:50 PM »

Dave your problem may be one that was more common with the original TS-120 series, but could be a carry over to the 130 series too. Having owned both a 120 and a 130SE I'd suggest you remove the cabinet and loosen all the screws that hold the boards in place and then retighten them. Better yet is to install small internal starlock washers under the screw head in order to always have a good ground contact.

Following this simple suggestion gives you authorization for 2 Pints aty your local pub.

Cheers,
Mick, W3ILG
N2HBX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 06:21:29 AM »

Another thing to try...worked on my TS-130.

Open up the unit and get access to the PA board. Resolder the power transistor connections to the circuit board. Over time, the rosin flux in the solder joints seems to build up a resistance in the joints and affects the power output.

Try heating up the joints and boiling some of the old rosin out and try testing again. If you feel really energetic, you could "solder-suck" the connections and apply new solder, but the "boiling" technique seemed adequate for my unit.

Larry, N2HBX
AI4NS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 09:07:14 PM »

The same thing happens with the TS-430S. The final transistors are soldered on to the board, which has rivets in the holes. Bend a wire in a Z shape and stick one in each hole and solder to both sides of the board.
My 430 had a similar problem with dropping power on the higher bands, and it turned out one of the driver transistors was bad. Rig works well now.

Mike
AI4NS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: