The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Power increased in the TS-480HX  (Read 58326 times)
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2015, 07:52:59 AM »

Most serious CBers run peaked-out radios, and they seem to work fine.

Right.  I've occasionally listened thru the CB band for some laughs, and I've heard people splattering over several channels. 

As others pointed out, 200W to 260W is just under barely noticeable to a ham at the receiving end. 

If you want to mess around with settings, note down what the values were before you start.  Then you can put them back if a hack does more harm than good.  Assuming you didn't blow something up...
N4ZAW

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2015, 07:11:40 AM »

Well, it's been a couple days, and I have to get moving on this rig. So I tried "putzing around" to see what result it would have on overall output. The result was absolutely no change, when either, or both ALC (menu#18), or RF (#19) were changed. I set them back to original values and have gone back to looking for the existing hardware fault.
It's illusive though.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2015, 07:31:14 AM »

As others pointed out, 200W to 260W is just under barely noticeable to a ham at the receiving end. 

Your being generous. It WILL NOT be noticeable. Man fall to understand that power output is not like a battery were a 30% increase make a noticeable change. It's a ego thing more than anything else. 

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
PA1ZP

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2015, 12:28:10 AM »

Hi

I agree with the others.
You will not notice any improvement with the more power, you will only get a wider signal.

200 or 260 watts, it will not be even worth the efford.

concentrate on a better readability and better audio.

73 Jos
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2015, 12:43:15 AM »

Stupidity at its best. You cant take the brain dead CB behavior out of some hams thinking.

KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2015, 11:04:05 AM »

hey, tune for maximum smoke.  what can go wrong?

seriously, you buy a certain amount of engineering and componentry when you buy a particular radio. a diddlestick is not going to add more.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2015, 02:16:01 PM »

hey, tune for maximum smoke.  what can go wrong?

You have heard the view that all solid state device are powered by smoke inside them because when smoke escapes, the device dies.  Smiley

KB3QCM

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2015, 08:21:58 AM »

Apologies if wrong topic but, I'm looking for the calibration/service password for an IFR TS-4317. Apparently different from standard IFR 1600S?
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2015, 07:46:57 AM »

Stupidity at its best. You cant take the brain dead CB behavior out of some hams thinking.

A couple of the area CB hacks love to squeeze every extra watt out of everything which crosses their repair benches. There's nothing pretty about an RCI-29xx transmitting smack-dab in the middle of the Class D allocation and producing splatter all the way into the low end of 10M.

If you want more power than a properly adjusted stock radio will produce, buy and install an amplifier.
N4ZAW

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2015, 08:57:12 AM »

Amen, Fred!
I'm a CB'er in addition, and that problem has always been epidemic. You should see what they do to perfectly good AM-only CB radios for competition "shoot-outs" on the "super bowl" (ch6). I heard a MOBILE operator [/i]CLEAR intelligibility[/i] 1200+ miles north of me, four channels in each direction! What is that? 80Kc?. I dunno, but anyway, it gets insane.

KB2RJH

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2017, 08:30:09 PM »

I may not be the brightest bulb on the tree heck i have been told i'm the one that flickers but isn't that what they make amps for ?
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2017, 04:37:38 AM »

You risk destroying the performance of this good radio just to increase the PO from 200 to 260w - an increase that will never be measurable on the receiving end?

I agree. Sadly some see watts like money meaning 260 bucks with do/buy more than 200 so surely 260 watts will do a lot more than 200 in their mind. But it does not work that way. It will give 1 db at most and the increase will not be discernible down range plus as to push devices to their limits, the the purity of signal tends to degrade as well. Does make for better bragging rights, ie I have a 260 watts 480HX.

KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2017, 05:17:49 AM »

Want more power? Use an amplifier.

Or stack several transceivers' outputs into a power combiner. Wire up a fancy harness to parallel the microphone to each
microphone input and viola! a multi-hundred watt signal.

'JX' don't laugh so hard. You'll hurt yourself.

Say hey to the family.

Kraus, A.K.A. silly idea man.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 05:36:35 AM by KC4ZGP » Logged
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2017, 08:22:46 PM »

Want more power? Use an amplifier.

Or stack several transceivers' outputs into a power combiner. Wire up a fancy harness to parallel the microphone to each
microphone input and viola! a multi-hundred watt signal.

'JX' don't laugh so hard. You'll hurt yourself.

Say hey to the family.

Kraus, A.K.A. silly idea man.

Et Voila!  It happened again.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
K6LO

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2017, 10:02:36 AM »

Your being generous. It WILL NOT be noticeable. Man fall to understand that power output is not like a battery were a 30% increase make a noticeable change. It's a ego thing more than anything else. 

The power increase is just not going to be noticed on the air.  If you have a need to see more power, buy an MFJ wattmeter.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: