Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone know an equivalent to the following  (Read 1756 times)
2E0BSS

Ignore
« on: October 17, 2007, 02:26:00 PM »

Could anyone suggest a modern equivalent or know where I can aquire the following test equipment

Hewlett Packard RF Signal Generator 606A 1v @ 50 ohm coverage to 30MHz
Hewlett Packard AF Signal Generator 200B
Hewlett Packard Vacuum Tube Voltmeter 410B with probe to 40MHz

I know these units are old school I need them to servce my FT 101 E

Charlotte 2E0BSS
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 08:48:45 AM »

This is stuff that hasn't been made in 30 years.  Even buying each item surplus and very used, the cost of those three items would exceed the value of the FT-101E, so this is a silly investment unless you really want to build a service shop using 30 year-old equipment for daily use, anyway.

Actually I think the HP 606 is a lot older than 30 years...last time I recall seeing one in an HP catalog was probably in 1966 or so.

You can use *any* available calibrated, laboratory-grade signal generator 455 kHz through 30 MHz (hundreds of models available); *any* available calibrated low-distortion audio frequency oscillator; and *any* available VTVM, FETVM or probably even a DVM.

If you really want to buy the old stuff you listed, places like Tucker Electronics might have it.  But even though it's all really old, it will cost too much -- not a good deal unless you find this stuff at a local garage sale or equivalent so you pay very little for it and don't have to pay shipping.  The 606 alone would cost more than $100 to "ship" from almost anywhere -- it's very big and heavy.

WB2WIK/6
2E0BSS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 08:57:58 AM »

Ok thanks for the reply, will a good Oscilliscope do almost the same thing ? I'm guessing it can't check the vacuum tubes

Charlotte 2E0BSS
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 10:29:33 AM »

Charlotte--

Modern solid state signal generator capable of the same specs will cost a lot less and be far more valuable to you in the long run.  Imports are around, check the internet for sales of such devices.  

AF signal generator is the same, if it can meet the output specs, solid state modern unit will do you fine.  

A good quality Digital Mulitmeter (DMM) will beat the old VTVM recommended there -- is nice to have an Analog bar scale below the digital readout to see "trends" when adjusting certain trimmer, but not absolutely necessary.  

BUT -- And this is important!  -- Unless there is a circuit fault in one of the tuned circuits that necessitates replacement of components, you likely will not have to perform realignment of the majority of circuits in that old 101.  Matter of fact, if you clean all controls and contacts, clean the circuit board connectors, blow out the dust, it is typically the case that most of the internal adjustments will fall right back into factory spec.  Can't emphasize this enough, there are far too many old rigs out there that have suffered the "golden screwdriver" of alignment when all they really needed was a thorough cleaning and a spritz or two of CAIG spray in the appropriate places.  

Your present problem with that 101 is very likely a dirty trimmer pot on the regulator board.  Read my other post to you on the subject.  

Alignment does not correct a wandering circuit.  Attempts to align a circuit that is not functioning properly WILL compound problems, likely turning the rig into something unusable with a high repair bill and trip to the shop.  

I know.  

Made a little bit of money from that common mistake that hams often make over the years.  

Don't do it.  

KE3WD
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 10:20:03 PM »

Are there DVMs out there with probes good to 40MHz and the (relatively) high input impedance and high RF input voltage capability of a VTVM?

That is why I recently rebuilt an old Heath VTVM with stabilised heaters and HV, and a disc seal diode RF probe from a scrap Marconi VTVM.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 09:53:24 AM »

G3RZP almost all digital multimeters have an input impedance of 10 MegOhms, similar to an old-fashioned VTVM, and they also have voltage ranges up to 1000V routinely, even in hand-held portable instruments.

The RF probe's ability to work around high RF voltages have almost nothing to do with the meter, and everything to do with the probe!  Most RF probes use low-voltage, low-capacitance detectors (Germanium, point-contact or Shottky) which can't handle a lot of voltage (usually 60 to 100V or so).  If you need to measure "a lot" of RF voltage, you need to voltage divide it or couple to it without direct contact to minimize risk of blowing the detector.

VTVM RF probes mostly do work with DVMs today.  Whether they're compensated properly to provide 100% "accurate" readings is another story, but if you're looking just for relative readings, or peaks and nulls, it's good enough.

I still prefer analog instruments for any measurements that involve "adjustments," and digital for any that are just "read and record."

WB2WIK/6
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 09:55:09 AM »

RE: Anyone know an equivalent to the following  Reply  
by 2E0BSS on October 18, 2007  Mail this to a friend!  
Ok thanks for the reply, will a good Oscilliscope do almost the same thing ? I'm guessing it can't check the vacuum tubes

Charlotte 2E0BSS<

::An oscilloscope can work as an AF, IF or RF detector/voltmeter pretty well but sure won't serve the function of the first two instruments you listed, which are signal generators!

WB2WIK/6  
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 11:53:41 PM »

>>I still prefer analog instruments for any measurements that involve "adjustments," and digital for any that are just "read and record." <<

I thought that, but since the advent of the LED bargraph across the bottom of my flukes, found otherwise.  Works better than I thought it would, much better, when you need to tweak to a trend.  Everybody else who makes decent meters has knocked it off by now.  

KE3WD
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 09:31:42 AM »

Try the Collins Collectors Association (CRA)
Google should take you to it.  This gear is also used to service old S line and KWM 2 gear.
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 09:32:29 AM »

Try the Collins Collectors Association (CRA)
Google should take you to it.  This gear is also used to service old S line and KWM 2 gear.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: