Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: S-AV17 Reapirable ???  (Read 6980 times)
CT1BXL

Ignore
« on: October 30, 2002, 11:53:24 AM »

73's friends

I've read in this forum that the Toshiba's S-AV17 is repairable.

I have an Alinco dx-150 wich has about 500mW output, and i think it's due to the S-AV17.

If someone nows how to repair it please let me know.

Thanks and 73's
KC8ADU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2003, 01:43:18 PM »

the most common cause of failure with the toshiba sav17 is a crack in the ceramic "board"
i pull the top and lay the module in a hamburger cooker to slowly preheat it.use a variac to control temp.about 300 f is good.solder a wire across the crack.a pretinned cutoff component lead is good.
the most common place to see the crack is where the main heavy b+ trace goes by the cutout in the board for the final transistor.
i have about a 95% success rate.
if you have a rig with pa modules installed without compound under them lift them and apply a thin coat evenly.the bean counters that built your set left it out to save a few pennies at the cost of the expensive module dieing just out of warrenty.
S56KZN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2003, 03:31:07 PM »

Hi!
I had the same problem with Alinco DR-150.
I did the repair but could not get more then 30W out.
You can get tips on how to repair S-AV17 here:

http://www.dk7in.de/TM733.html
KD7REM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2003, 01:05:07 PM »

I have a ICOM IC-229H that would put out full power for a couple minutes then not. I found this thread and checked out the link above. I don't frakenzie deutsch, but the pictures spoke a world of english as the cracks in my SC-1091 were exactly where indicated, although the one on the left continued up a bit further.

It's working 50W now! Thanks for the link, and bien(?) for the pics. Thanks as well to all for the descriptions.

I would like to add that to remove the cover use a small jewlers screwdriver to pry the tabs away from the ceramic wafer carefully. I imagine one could cause further cracks if care is not taken in this regard. Also exersize care in replacing the cover, prying the tabs away as pressure is applied to relieve pressure on the wafer.

Makes me wonder if Toshiba has remedied this obviously common problem on recent modules.

Christopher KD7REM
VK4GHZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2004, 11:28:08 AM »

I'm having a similar trouble. My Icom IC-Delta 100 (2/70/23 tribander) 2M O/P is only putting out ~700mW.

The module is a SC-1091 (equiv to S-AV17).

If there are any cracks they're hiding. I'm attempting to touch up the tinned traces but it's difficult, even with the 800° tip.

When operating normally what current drain should I expect? The data sheet I have does not breakdown the current draw, just toatl.

I measure about 2.3A on the first stage at pin 2 and I measured only 1.2A on the second stage on pin 3.

I'm guessing the second stage has gone but cannot see any visual evidence of this. Any clues?
AH8N

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 01:57:07 AM »

Had the same problem with my Icom 281H (SC-1091). Was only putting out milliwatts.  The link proved to be a big help.  http://www.dk7in.de/TM733.html
My radio is now back to useable.  Thanks.  
KG4OHH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 04:27:00 PM »

here is that post but in English:

http://translate.google.com/translate?sourceid=navclient&hl=en&u=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2edk7in%2ede%2fTM733%2ehtml

I have an icom 2100-H with what appers tobe a blow PA just about putting 600Mw
took the cover off the radio and located the
PA SC-1091, poped of the black cover and looked at it under one of those magna/light with the lens, i can not find any cracks.

just a note, i wonder how that hot glue looks when the PA starts to get hot, i am just amazed how that glue dont burn up or melt.
7 3
KC8ADU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 11:42:38 AM »

your ic-2100h likely has a bad apc transistor.
i you cant find a crack check the second from the left pin.you should have a voltage that varies with power setting while in tx.
if not apc transistor is bad.
get the new part and the heatsink upgrade from icom parts.
very common problem.
and apply heatsink compound to the pa.
KJ7YL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 01:45:40 AM »

Kenwood sells the module for about 68.00 dollars. Toshiba apparently redesigned the module.

I had purchased a spare about three months ago for my alinco DR605TQ. The original finally died last night and I replaced it 10 miutes later and had the rig back on the air.
KJ7YL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 06:52:51 PM »

See the following link.

http://www.pacparts.com/part.cfm?CFID=697354&CFTOKEN=37151963
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: