Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Texas Towers Replies  (Read 52743 times)
N5VQT

Ignore
« on: February 23, 2001, 03:46:48 PM »

I read the thread below and have to admit that I was a bit surprised. I thought I would offer my point of view:

We're just a few guys trying to do the best job we can. Our goal is to provide competitive prices, have reasonable product knowledge on the items we offer, and to tell it like it is. This being said, the fact is that we're only human and we do make mistakes from time to time. When we do, we try our best to correct the problem as quickly and painlessly as possible.

It's hard to believe from reading the thread, but I'd rather sandpaper a wildcat's ass in a phone booth than get into a confrontation with a customer. When we do screw something up we're often expected to do something to make the situation right that we're unable to do. The result is that the customer feels like we don't care about their problem, or that we're unreasonable, irritable, crazy, or whatever.

A big complaint in the thread is our strict credit card policy, which we use to reduce fraud. If we can't find someone in our database, we'll only ship to an address we can verify--either his FCC address, or one we can verify with his credit card bank. If the customer wants us to ship to any other address, he would have to give this address to his credit card bank so we can verify it with them. This can normally be done in less than 5 minutes by calling the (800) number on the back of the credit card. It's unfortunate, but credit card fraud DOES occur, and on the phone, an honest ham sounds the same as a credit card thief. Most customers aren't offended by this policy, but others feel we're accusing them of dishonesty.

We do not charge a 3% credit card fee. We never require a copy of your credit card statement for ANY reason. We do not charge your card for something that we don't have in stock until it comes in and is ready to ship, or in the case of the few drop ships that we do, when we place the order with the vendor.

We don't tell people something is in stock just to get them into the store. Occasionally we might look at the wrong line on the screen and mistakenly report that an item is in stock. An item could also be sold on a walk-in, mail, phone, fax, email, or Internet order before the customer gets here. This is frustrating, but it does happen from time to time.

We don't go out of our way to ignore people in the store. We simply have a huge amount of work to get done every day. We have to juggle this work with phone calls, faxes, emails, Internet orders, and walk-in customers. At very busy times one or the other is bound to get ignored. This isn't a conscious thing, it just happens.

I sincerely apologize to any of you who had a bad experience with Texas Towers. As I stated before, we're human and we do make mistakes and misjudgments, maybe we even grumpy from time to time too. All I can offer in our defense is that we really do try our best, and on the whole everything works smoothly. If you're concerned about being treated rudely, please ask for me when you call. I'd be more than happy to try to help you in whatever way that I can.

-Matthew Williamson, N5VQT
 Advertising Manager, Web/Email Guy
 Texas Towers <http://www.texastowers.com>
 (800) 272-3467
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2001, 02:35:30 PM »

Hello Matthew.  I can vouch that my singular experience with Texas Towers was just fine.  The order was processed and gear ordered arrived on time as promised.  

However, I would make one suggestion regarding your anti-credit card fraud policy.  Just exercise it, don't bother your customers with it.  

That is:  With my order (as an example), you did bother me with the FCC database baloney, etc.  It turns out I just moved one week prior to my order and the data base was not updated yet, simply because I'd been to busy to contact the fcc.gov website and update it through their silly, burdensome system.  (I did that later.)  So, it was true that the FCC data base for my callsign would reflect a different address than my credit card, used to place my order.

However, I had updated the credit card company immediately, and their data was correct.  I wasn't asking to drop-ship stuff, my order was shipping to "me," at my correct and new address, which my card company had.

Thus, you could have determined all of that on your own, without even mentioning your policy to me.  The policy was irrelevant, since the charge went through fine.

Also, why would it even be considered as potentially fraudulent if I wanted to order stuff here, and drop-ship it to a friend in Indonesia, the Antarctic, or anywhere else?  As long as the charge is authorized and processed, what difference does it make where the product ships?  Especially now with FedEx and others shipping literally "anywhere," the destination should be quite transparent to you, as a distributor.

Just a thought, and a way to probably improve your overall sales revenues.

Steve WB2WIK/6
K5IQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2001, 05:36:39 PM »

Matthew--

Thanks for taking time to present your side of the story.  I am completely convinced you are sincere in your effort to "do the right thing" and apparently your company does so in many cases.

That having been said...while credit card fraud continues to be an unfortunate aspect of doing business, the problem does not warrant the level of irrational, rude behavior exhibited by certain representatives of Texas Towers (notably the boss) when dealing with those of us who are NOT engaged in criminal behavior.  While "company policy" may, in fact, be aimed at squelching illegal action, the unbending, bureaucratic way in which this policy is applied probably does more to run customers away than it does to prevent crime.  

In my own case, my credit card company had no provision to include a second address in their database, thus precluding shipping to the television station where I am employed (a much safer alternative than shipping to my home where neither the cats nor the security system are trained to accept packages).

Even though it was a simple matter to verify that I was, indeed, associated with that particular TV station at that particular address (at the very least by checking the callsign of our station's ham club, of which I am trustee), your company's steadfast refusal to budge on this matter, and the subsequent screaming by the owner that I was "wasting his time" immediately assured I will never be a Texas Tower customer again.  Ever.  And while you may be content to run a handful of customers like me away every month, I would suggest you become familiar with the "Rule of 250" (postulated by top sales guru Joe Girard who reminds us that one disatisfied customer tells another who tells another and so on).  I must tell you Matthew, I have received an amazing number of e-mails from fellow hams who have had experiences similar to mine.  Maybe, just maybe, we're not all criminals bent on fraud, or jerks trying to buck the system, but simply customers trying to make a purchase.

Matthew, in my career I have ordered hundreds of thousands of dollars of professional audio equipment and supplies, often with nothing more than a phone call.  Never--repeat NEVER--have I been screamed at by a vendor or refused a simple request to have equipment shipped to an alternate address.  Likewise in my Amateur Radio career, while I may have dealt with the occasional sorry salesperson, I have only met screaming and mule-headed stubborness from Texas Towers.

Therefore, I would respectfully suggest that the solution to credit card fraud, as exercised by Texas Tower, is rather akin to blasting mosquitoes with a shotgun: it gets the job done, but at what price?  Recognizing that the "boss is the boss" and the owner is free to act as irrational as he or she likes, perhaps Texas Tower's policies could be revisted with an eye toward recognizing that while the customer ISN'T always right, he (or she) is always the customer.  And, without customers a business is just a hobby.  May I also humbly suggest that the reason other dealers WILL ship to an alternate address without a bunch of hassle ISN'T because they're sloppy businesspeople?  Could it be they want repeat business from customers?  Don't YOU want repeat business, too?

Good luck and thanks for reading.

Bob
K5IQ

K7LA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2001, 04:51:13 PM »

Apology aside, this is just a reminder that this consumer's money is good anywhere.  On the whole, I'd rather do business with AES and HRO.  And will.
WM5L

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2001, 10:49:57 AM »

I have been reading all these threads on TT and have to say. I have never had a problem with them. I do know that of the five or six times I have been in thier store they are extreamly busy. They don't just sit around "bs-ing" and drink coffee. The last time I was in there the phone was ringing so much they hardly had time to ring up my sale. They are busy people and just because you spend a grand with them dont expect them to kiss you're ass. Hell there cheaper on a lot of the stuff I buy even after you add the tax. Give em a break.If you want to pay more buy it somewhere else. They are just trying to survive like everyone else in the world.  
KC9AD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2001, 12:35:00 PM »

This morning I read the previous postings concerning Texas Towers, and my immediate reaction was "OH, NO"!!  Last Friday, I placed my first order with them on a credit card and had it shipped to me at the Indianapolis Police Department Training Academy.  I received no static at all from the saleman when I placed the order.  I had it shipped to me at work because we have problems with things disappearing from our front porch when packages are sent there.  So, due to the postings, I was afraid that they might have sent it to my home anyway.  Much to my relief, I just received it here at the Academy.  Hopefully, their policy has changed since the other postings.  I know I'll be calling them in the future.
KC0M

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2001, 10:24:24 PM »

I am glad to hear your reply, I am happy your store is busy.  That said I will still continue to shop at AES or Associated Radio.  I just don't need the hassel you guys put me through.  And from the posts I am glad I didn't order my radio when I got the run a round with the credit card I just said thanks but no thanks.

KC0M
KC0GUK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2001, 10:40:58 AM »

When I bought my gear from Texas Towers, I had just moved and told them so because the FCC data base had my old address.  There were no problems and my order arrived in a couple of days.  I will buy again from Texas Towers when that time comes.  As far as behavior goes, seems as though you get the occassional bad or rude ones no matter who you contact like HRO for me.
AC7NA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2001, 02:52:42 PM »

If TT is as busy as its staff and some the customers have indicated, they surely have the profit margin necessary to justify the hiring of additional staff to better address the customer service issues.

Just my 2 cents worth.
K4MT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2001, 08:54:31 AM »

Nice set of excuses for bad customer support!  Customers and their purchases are responsible for your bottom line.  Having worked in customer service for many years, I would be terminated if I ever for any reason (grumpy or not)mistreated my customers. Since you guys are low ball price dealers, maybe we would rather see a slightly higher price to pay for you taking the time for customer support! We need good ham dealers and you guys could be one of them with a little work. But with my experience, your problems radiate down from the top. Keep making lame excuses and many of us will do what you told me, WE DON'T CARE IF YOU BUY ANYTHING FROM US OR NOT!  Unbelievable!!
KM0U

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2001, 11:59:59 AM »

I recently purchased an IC-746 and the SM-6 microphone from TT to go along with the rig.  The person who took my order was courteous and the rig was delivered when he said it would be.  The mic was back ordered but it too was delivered when I was told it would be.  My experience was positive in all ways - TT personnel were friendly, honest, and helpful.  As an additional benefit to the courtesy, either individually or packaged, the rig and the microphone were substantially cheaper than AES, HRO, and several other ham stores I shopped at prior to making the purchase from TT.
Given my experience I will certainly recommend TT to others and I will purchase from TT again in the future.  In conclusion, TT staff were courteous and best of all, I got what I wanted at the best price I was able to find.  
WA4DOU

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2001, 08:03:07 AM »

I've always found myself satisfied with my dealings with Texas Towers. I'm not an unreasonable person and have found Gerald to be very knowledgable and reasonable. I'll continue to do business with TT. 73 Roy
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2001, 09:59:12 PM »

I have been hamming since the mid sixties. In that time I have personally been to Mission Ham in Riverside (gone now), Associated Radio in Kansas, Texas Towers, AES in three states, HRO in three states, and many others from Florida to Alaska and California to Washington state. I have bought so much new and used radio gear that I have lost track of them. In all that time, I have found all of them to be courteous and have done their best to help me. When I have done business over the phone with the same people, they have behaved the same way. There are times when they are drawn away from us due to an interrupting phone call or another customer who wont wait. I have no trouble buying from any of the major dealers.  Now I find myself doing business over the net with them and R&L Electronics now as well.  They do as much as they can to insure themselves and at the same time try to protect us as we use credit cards to buy their products. If they messed up, give 'em a break and another try. No one I know of in any business purposely insults a customer knowing that loss of that customer can cost as many as ten more due to word of mouth advertizing. Having said that, I hope every one keeps buying and has a Merry Christmas and Santa drops off a new radio related gift. Then we'll ALL be happy and business will be good for the vendors we all love to deal with.
Frank
KL7IPV
K6SDW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2002, 07:05:51 PM »

It's been a while since I bought from Texas Towers so don't know anything about the credit card issue. I've spent probably close to $1k with Texas Towers and can say I've always been treated well, their prices are very competitive and my order always shipped to me as promised!

73.....k6sdw
KD4TWP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 06:01:20 AM »

\

this freaks me out, i`m getting ready to make a big order and i amd going to send my order around to all the Ham stores who carry the stuff i want and get the best price. i have a feeling TT is going to win, but now i read this and read there return policy and that totaly blew me awa
 "Returns
Unfortunately, we are not able to ship merchandise on an approval basis. Please make your selections carefully because we simply cannot accept items back for a refund after they have been shipped to you. In the event that we do accept a returned item, it must be returned to us within 30 days of purchase--there will be a 15% restocking charge to allow resale at a discounted price, as a used product. All returns are at our sole discretion. Any payment due you will be in the form of a store credit to be applied to future purchases. This rigid policy is necessary in order to assure all of our customers that they will receive only absolutely brand new, unopened merchandise."
  a

Am I reading this right? they have no return policy? or if you are blessed with there okedoke yopu may return the bad item?. then the restockign fee of what? a bad item?  If my $3,000 buck radio doesnt work out of the box, then what.

Someone clear this up for me b4 i make a around a $4,000 mistake

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: