Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Texas Towers Replies  (Read 50857 times)
VA3WXM

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 07:50:41 AM »

If the radio doesn't work out of the box then logic should dictate that they'll exchange it for a new one.  That just makes sense regardless of whatever retail business you run.

The restocking fee and store credit only policy is designed to prevent people from buying gear, having fun with it for a short duration before returning it because it "wasn't right for them".  It often happens with losers looking to "rent" radios for a weekend event of some kind.  They figure they can hit the local candy store, buy a bunch of handhelds, use them for the event then show up Monday morning looking to return them for a full refund.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 10:33:13 AM »

If you charge it with Visa they have to take it back if it is bad regardless of their return policy. If they refuse, call Visa and they will give you instructions on how to return it and issue you a refund shortly after proof of return. It is part of agreement vendors sign with Visa that they never tell you about. 

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011, 11:05:28 AM »

The restocking fee and store credit only policy is designed to prevent people from buying gear, having fun with it for a short duration before returning it because it "wasn't right for them".  It often happens with losers looking to "rent" radios for a weekend event of some kind.  They figure they can hit the local candy store, buy a bunch of handhelds, use them for the event then show up Monday morning looking to return them for a full refund.

Exactly.  I'm certain it's the same with Texas Towers, they just didn't spell it out.
HRO says in their catalog "Radios are not sold for evaluation".

When I was in college there was this guy who used to use his dad's "for
emergencies only" credit card to "buy" high end tape decks for the weekend.
Then have a marathon party, record all of his friends records, and return
the tape deck on Monday. This was decades ago and I don't recall him ever
having to pay a restocking fee like nowadays.
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011, 01:45:58 PM »

I live in Dallas Texas and have walked in Texas Towers several times in the past 10 years and made several purchases. I have never had any problem with anyone working there with impolite rudeness at all. Everything is always ok for me. I am not really shure why so many people had so many problems. I guess its just the way people preceive each other and general attitudes that people have. I plan on walking in there next week and purchasing a new Kenwood TS-590. If it was all that bad in there I would shurely go somewhere else.
73 Jim G. KF5HRN
KJ4FUU

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 12:32:07 PM »

Also, why would it even be considered as potentially fraudulent if I wanted to order stuff here, and drop-ship it to a friend in Indonesia, the Antarctic, or anywhere else?  As long as the charge is authorized and processed, what difference does it make where the product ships?  Especially now with FedEx and others shipping literally "anywhere," the destination should be quite transparent to you, as a distributor.

Funny you should mention Indonesia. At one time (maybe still) they were on PayPal's excrement list for the amount of stolen credit card numbers/PayPal accounts, and they recommended that sellers don't ship to them.

If your credit card number was compromised, and Texas Towers took an order for a very high-end radio with it, and shipped it to somewhere that they just assumed *you* were, would you just say, "Well, I should have been more careful with my account number" and eat the loss, or would you call the card company, initiate a chargeback, and have Texas Towers eat the loss? You may have valid points with some other parts of your post, but definitely not the part I quoted. For any but the LARGEST companies, your method would be financial suicide.

-- Tom
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2011, 06:18:39 PM »

Restocking fees are absolutely standard.  They apply to non-defective products.  The resolution of defective product problems may vary from store to store and from product to product, so do your homework.

But the restocking thing is really simple.  You just have to pay a fee to try out one of the radios all ham radio dealers have in stock.  Here are some sample policies.

HRO:
Returns

Defective items may be returned for an exchange, return or upgrade within 10 days of the purchase date. Non-defective items returned within 10 days for credit or refund will be subject to a minimum 15% re-stocking fee. Special order items, cut cables, software and books are non-returnable. All return freight charges are the responsibility of the customer.

AES:

In order to maintain the lowest possible prices, we do not offer a free trial or evaluation period on new equipment. If permitted, an authorized return of merchandise for credit (it must be like new with all original packaging) will be subject to a Minimum 15% Restocking Fee. The item must be returned within 10 days after receipt, prepaid, with a copy of the purchase invoice and a letter describing the reason for the return.

Gigaparts:

All merchandise found NOT to have factory defects WILL be charged a MINIMUM 15% restocking fee. All returns for refund or exchange are subject to price adjustments for current market price, and a testing fee. Products must be returned in ORIGINAL packaging with no additional markings on the packaging or product and in resalable condition.

R & L Electronics:

All items must be returned within 30 days. After 30 days, it will be treated as a used trade in. All items are subject to a 15% restocking fee. Not all items are returnable.

Compare all these to the TT policy:

Unfortunately, we are not able to ship merchandise on an approval basis. Please make your selections carefully because we simply cannot accept items back for a refund after they have been shipped to you. In the event that we do accept a returned item, it must be returned to us within 30 days of purchase--there will be a 15% restocking charge to allow resale at a discounted price, as a used product. All returns are at our sole discretion. Any payment due you will be in the form of a store credit to be applied to future purchases. This rigid policy is necessary in order to assure all of our customers that they will receive only absolutely brand new, unopened merchandise.

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
CBISBACK

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2011, 10:39:00 AM »

Simple answer.

If you don't like their policy,  shop elsewhere.

DUH!

KA5ROW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2012, 01:20:26 AM »

I have bought a few items from TT and never had a problem.
K7CB

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2012, 06:39:18 AM »

I haven't done business with TT but here's my take on it - I would have no problem with their credit card/shipping policy.  Sure, it could be inconvenient to some but I understand the reason for it.  However, IF a sales rep yelled at me or was ever rude to me (which apparently has happened with some amateurs doing business with TT), rest assured - I wouldn't do business with them again either.
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2012, 07:14:54 AM »

I've been a walk up customer with them for 14 years now and never had any type of problem with them at all. Texas Towers have always been good to me.
73 Jim W5JJG. Dallas Texas
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2012, 09:41:00 AM »

This morning I read the previous postings concerning Texas Towers, and my immediate reaction was "OH, NO"!!  Last Friday, I placed my first order with them on a credit card and had it shipped to me at the Indianapolis Police Department Training Academy.  I received no static at all from the saleman when I placed the order.  I had it shipped to me at work because we have problems with things disappearing from our front porch when packages are sent there.  So, due to the postings, I was afraid that they might have sent it to my home anyway.  Much to my relief, I just received it here at the Academy.  Hopefully, their policy has changed since the other postings.  I know I'll be calling them in the future.

I got a chuckle out of this one. I would hope that if someone was shipping an item to the Police Department Training Academy they wouldn't be too concerned about credit card fraud Smiley

John K7KB
WB8NUT

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2012, 04:28:35 AM »

Exactly.  I'm certain it's the same with Texas Towers, they just didn't spell it out.
HRO says in their catalog "Radios are not sold for evaluation".

When I was in college there was this guy who used to use his dad's "for
emergencies only" credit card to "buy" high end tape decks for the weekend.
Then have a marathon party, record all of his friends records, and return
the tape deck on Monday. This was decades ago and I don't recall him ever
having to pay a restocking fee like nowadays.

Because of what your friend did, that is to basically steal the use of the tape deck, is exactly why companies have instituted this restocking policy. Once you have opened it, it cannot be resold as new. When I was in school back in the 1970s and working at the Rat Shack, we would have people buying stereos for parties, etc. and then return the item after the weekend. That is theft as the items returned cannot be sold as new. I don't work in the retail industry anymore thank the Lord, but I fully support the retailers charging the fee to keep this sort of nonsense to a absolute minimum.
KB1TXK

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2012, 02:05:27 PM »

\

this freaks me out, i`m getting ready to make a big order and i amd going to send my order around to all the Ham stores who carry the stuff i want and get the best price. i have a feeling TT is going to win, but now i read this and read there return policy and that totaly blew me awa
 "Returns
Unfortunately, we are not able to ship merchandise on an approval basis. Please make your selections carefully because we simply cannot accept items back for a refund after they have been shipped to you. In the event that we do accept a returned item, it must be returned to us within 30 days of purchase--there will be a 15% restocking charge to allow resale at a discounted price, as a used product. All returns are at our sole discretion. Any payment due you will be in the form of a store credit to be applied to future purchases. This rigid policy is necessary in order to assure all of our customers that they will receive only absolutely brand new, unopened merchandise."
  a

Am I reading this right? they have no return policy? or if you are blessed with there okedoke yopu may return the bad item?. then the restockign fee of what? a bad item?  If my $3,000 buck radio doesnt work out of the box, then what.

Someone clear this up for me b4 i make a around a $4,000 mistake

In other words, don't expect to order a $4,000 tower, get it freighted to you, and then you be able to return it because you changed your mind, the aluminum isn't silver enough, etc. You CAN return it if they send you the wrong thing, it shows up in a million pieces, etc.  Thats my take anyways.

AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2012, 02:35:30 PM »

I would hope that if someone was shipping an item to the Police Department Training Academy they wouldn't be too concerned about credit card fraud Smiley

If you watch the cop TV shows you'll note they change out of their street clothes in the locker room... Which is full of locked lockers.

If all cops were honest, why would they need to lock up their shoes?   Wink

Never change a password on a Friday                
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2012, 04:23:32 PM »

hi,

you can ask the selling store to request adult signature
when the package is delivered or have it held for pickup
as the UPS or FedEx hub.  No need to leave it on the front porch.

73 james
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: