Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RG-213  (Read 689 times)
K2HN

Ignore
« on: May 23, 2008, 10:33:04 PM »

Hello,
Is there a secret to putting coax connectors on RG-213?  I have to do a few and finding that it's a real tight fit.  After the cable is prepared (3/4" center pin and 5/16 braid) the coax screws into the connector real hard near the end and requires a pair of pliers to twist it all the way to get the tinned braid up to the holes.
Thanks,
Jim
K7UNZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 11:19:38 AM »

While I've never encountered this problem myself, and I use RG-213 for all my outdoor runs, there is an old trick you might wanna try.

Just apply a little baby talc powder to the outside of the coax.

73, Jim/k7unz
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 02:55:19 PM »

This happens primarily with the cheap, 99-cent PL-259s and or cheap coax. They may or may not conform to established dimensional specs.

Quality coax and quality (Amphenol) connectors almost never have these problems.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K2HN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 12:54:14 PM »

Lon,
The connectors are Amphenol and the Coax is Belden.
Can't get to much better then that.  Still a tight squeeze.  Possibly the roll of Belden I got didn't quite measure up to specs.  Have to crank the connectors on with a pair of pliers.
tnx, Jim
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 03:21:46 PM »

I've not run across any combinations that tight. I usually just rub a bar of soap on the jacket and the connector body screws right on.

Even heavy skin oil will lube the jacket. Smiley

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 06:47:48 PM »

Actually, I see that "problem" all the time and don't consider it to be a problem.

I do use "gas pliers" (slip joint pliers) to twist PL-259s on to RG-213/U and consider that pretty normal.

It takes four full rotations to twist a PL-259 on to RG-213/U, and the last twist can take a lot of torque.

It's worth it, since the resulting fitting is pretty waterproof.

WB2WIK/6

KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 02:37:07 PM »

hi,

I've also my vise grips to attach the connector,
just as steve, WB2WIK, described.

the coax I had was factory fresh from the wireman,
I did notice the connectors did attach easier several
months after the coax 'aged' in my garage.

73 james
K2HN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 03:22:39 PM »

Thanks for all repiies.  I managed to get the job done.  Had 10 to install.  Had to crank them all on with pliers but all turned out well.  I hadn't used any of the big stuff for quite a while and it seemed to me more of a struggle than I remembered in the past.
tnx agn,
Jim
KD8CGF

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 11:12:03 AM »

As I get older, practically everything I do is "more of a struggle than I remembered in the past"
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 05:53:13 PM »

A very, VERY, VERY,light dab of liquid hand soap, spread around the outer insulation of the coax, spread around, will make "screwing on" the PL-259 easier to install.  But remember, the whole purpose IS for the plug to "screw onto" the coax, for at least a semblance of weather resistance. and to form a seal to the outside environment.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: