Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ICOM 740---  (Read 311 times)
VE3GNU

Ignore
« on: April 14, 2008, 01:36:19 PM »

Having owned the 740 since 1982, and other than a 'wonky' compressor switch, and recently the loss of the meter light---the rig has been flawless.  Mind you, it has never seen 'heavy-duty' service over the years---mainly used for SSB and some PSK-31.

What is obvious, however, is the efficiency---only at 60% of full output.  I understand that the caps of rigs of this vintage should really need to be replaced.

It is no longer my main rig as I'm using the Argonaut V for the past 2 years, and mainly for CW.

My question:  Is it worthwhile to repair a 25-year old rig OR sell it and have someone else look after the 'upgrades'---while the rig is still in sound operating condition?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

VE3GNU
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 03:08:31 PM »

What do you mean by "efficiency?"

"Efficiency" would be a measure of RF output vs. DC input, with DC input being Vcc*Ic.  If your Vcc is 13V and Ic is 15A (DC input 195W), your output should be about half that, or 97W.

What do you mean by "60% of full output?"  
VE3GNU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 04:25:53 PM »

WB2WIK---Thanks for the reply, and apologies on the 'efficiency' comment---an assessment made via a 'tuner' and my G5RV when, what I perceived to be a matter of 'efficiency'---and the full output measured only at 60 watts.
Another 'look' took me to my resonant 20 meter wire and gave me the expected 80 watts out---i.e. 'full marks'---

Aside from that, what are your suggestions as to 'what to do' or 'possibly consider'?

Many thanks for your input, and 'steering me' in another direction---

VE3GNU
K8WV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 03:08:10 PM »

The Icom 740 is, still today, an excellent rig -- especially with a Heil microphone through a Behringer 802 mixer/preamp/eq.  (And you can then forget the darned compressor!)  You don't need a iC Heil Element.  Any of their dynamic elements will work fine.

Repairs are readily, and reasonable available through MTS - Malcomb Technical Services.

With the proper filters the 740 holds its own with anything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: