Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu Service - Positive Review  (Read 892 times)
K3PZ

Ignore
« on: October 28, 2001, 06:45:37 PM »

After reading all the negative reviews on Eham about Yaesue service, you can imagine how I felt when I discovered that my brand new FT-1000 MarkV tuner had crapped out and that I knew that I had to send it back to Yaesu for repair and then deal with the Yaesu service department. I was not looking forward to it. I absolutley love this radio and to not be able to work DX everynight with it, I was definiteky NOT happy.  When you spend this much money for a radio, it should work perfectly and flawlessly for years to come. So first thing Monday morning I called Yaesu service #562-404-2700 and spoke with Andy Ormonde X242. I voiced my concern about my new MarkV and how after 2 weeks the tuner had crapped out and told him that Yaesu was aware of the problem, that all he had to do was read the posts on eHam and the web and that I wanted it fixed ASAP. I also voiced my concerns about the Yaesu service department and how alot of people think that they have reverted back to their old ways of the 1980's when they didnt really care about the customer.  I let him know that if I didn't get satisfactory service from him, that I was going straight to the top. To put it short and sweet, I wasn't very nice about it either. Andy Ormonde told me to send the radio back specifically to HIS attention and that he would make sure that it got taken care of ASAP. I also told him that I was shipping the radio back to him Fedex since I didnt want to waste 2 weeks shipping time back and forth from the east coast to the west coast. After Andy received my MarkV, he called me and told me that the tuner was being replaced and that it was being burned in to make sure that there were no other problems. During the time that Yaesu service had my MarkV, I had spoken to Andy probably 4 times and had some very good conservations with him, and he assured me a number of time that he really cared about how people felt about the Yaesu service department and that he wanted me to be satisfied so that I would continue to buy Yaesu products. I told him to just get my MarkV back to me as quickly as possible and then I would make my mind up from there. The bottom line was that Andy Ormonde had my MarkV repaired and back to me in 10 days including shipping time which I think is pretty darn good. I paid for the shipping but again, that was my choice. Anyways, when I got my MarkV back I called Andy Ormonde to thank him for what I considered to be good service in spite of all I had heard and read about the Yaesu service department. He told me that anytime that I had a concern, question, or problem, was that all I had to do was call him directly and he would help me with whatever I needed. I have called him several times since then, and he has been a man of his word and has helped me with everything that I have needed. I had never dealt with Yaesu service before my MarkV problem, did not know Andy Ormonde from the man in the moon, and have no relationship whatsoever with Yaesu but after reading all of the negative posts about Yaesu service, I thought I would let everybody know that my experience with them has been good in spite of the fact that I called them with an attitude. I can say that if I ever need help in the future, I'll call Andy @X242.
W6QW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2001, 05:49:34 PM »

I, too, was amazed at the stories previously posted about poor Yaesu service.  For what it's worth, I have to say that getting the right service tech makes the difference between satisfactory service versus a poor result.  As a corollary, I was a test equipment calibration/service tech one summer back in my college days. As I recall, three things were prevalent: (1) if the tech 'judges' that a part is required, the service company needs to charge that part against that customer - service companies do make money on the parts; and (2) if the tech 'judges' incorrectly, service companies do not, typically, reverse the parts charge and (3) turn-over of service techs can kill the quality of service - although I was pursuing an electrical engineering degree at the time, I was essentially being trained by that company to repair and calibrate very expensive test equipment - my knowledge of the test equipment and repair 'street smarts' were less than stellar at that time.

This is no different than one might experience with automobile repairs at dealerships.  So if you can find a service tech that appears to be trustworthy and, more importantly very experienced, save his name.

N5UMH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2001, 08:02:24 PM »

I'm glad you had a positive experience with Yaesu. I think the fact it was a warranty type thing, it helped. I sent in a lightning hit FT990 on Oct 16, they received it on the 22nd and logged it in on the 23. I emailed them and received a reply on the 6th of Nov that it had not been given a customer No. yet. I called on the phone on Nov 16th (one month later) and was told it had not been given a customer No. yet.
They implied a warranty job would be much quicker. Then they implied a VHF rig would have been handled much quicker?Huh?
I have supported Yaesu for a number of years and this has really sour'd me on them. My insurance company has called repeatedly (to my suprise) asking if I have received an estimate yet.
Bill Baker
Norman, OK
K4MT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2001, 05:45:20 PM »

I also got first class service from Yaesu service Department. I had a new FT-100D with a problem that required warranty service.  Answers to e-mail questions were prompt and courteous, and when I sent it in it was back in less than a week. Thats not bad since I live on the east coast. Well done, Yaesu service Department!!!!
W8OB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2001, 11:58:09 AM »

the couple of times i have had to send gear into yaesu the quality of repairs and turn around time
were excellant, i have never had any problems contacting the service dept to get answers or
tech help. in fact 3 days ago i called in and dont think i was placed on hold over 2 minutes. i
think quite a few hams develop a bond with their gear and feel like life has left them empty without
the ole rig... get a life let the service people do their job.
WV4I

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2002, 05:48:44 PM »

As I presently have one radio at Yaesu for warranty repairs (VX-5R), and another probably not far behind it (FT-100D), I'm certainly glad to hear that Yaesu has a responsive, customer oriented service department. Sounds like the Yaesu design engineers need to take the Techs to lunch more often.
W6QW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2002, 07:11:59 PM »

I, too, was skeptical of the quality of Yaesu's factory service based on the postings.  I sent my FT-920 in late October for calibration, some repairs, and updating to the current level.  The results were wonderful and I have a first class radio again.  The quality of results met my expectations.  The only (minor) complaint was that it took about three months before they shipped the radio back.
K3PZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2002, 04:01:27 PM »

Just wanted to let everyone know about my last Yaesu service experience. I sent my FT-100D out to Yaesu before the warrant expired to get it checked out and any mods that it needed.  Andy Ormonde had it back at my doorstep in less than 2 weeks! These guys really are trying to improve their image and I'm glad that they are!  Good job Yaesu!

Paul Zora
K3PZ
Myrtle Beach, SC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: