Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TH-79A Software  (Read 2556 times)
KC0UCN

Ignore
« on: January 20, 2009, 03:06:22 PM »

I'm searching for programming software for the Kenwood TH-79A.  Anybody have a source?
KF6KFU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 12:38:41 PM »

Did you ever find programming software for the TH-79?

I find that radio superior in every way to my newer HT, except that the newer radio has programming software

KF6KFU
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 08:33:43 PM »

I just acquired a TH-79 from an estate, and after a couple of days running on a good external DC source, it appears to be fully functional. I downloaded the manual, and programming looks like a bear! - but since it's clone-capable, it might be programmable with software for another Kenwood HT. I have a DB-9 to mini-phone plugcable  I've used on Icom HT's, so will see if I can find software for a later Kenwood dual band unit and give it a try....
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 08:55:51 AM »

I've had the TH-79A for several years.  I wasn't aware that it cold be programmed with anything but the keys on the front panel. 

You're observation about "it being a bear to program" is right on the money!  I have spent a great deal of time trying to program the damn thing, even to the point of writing my own instructions. 

The TH-79A is what caused me to conclude that I would never buy another Kenwood radio.
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 04:54:27 PM »

the newer radios from almost all manufacturers can be programmed from a PC - that is THE way to go.
I have an Icom T-81A that is even worse than then TH-79 - it has a five way switch that is almost impossible to
push in the 5th way correctly. Old radio shack HTX 202 and 404 are nice and easy,and newer Alinco DJV27T is very nice to program.
haven't experimented further with the TH79 yet....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: