Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu sells time bombs !!! FT857 FT897 ....  (Read 23062 times)
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2010, 03:10:21 AM »

Hi Pedro,

Excuse me for being off topic, but rather than discuss wars etc, I would like to ask you whether the link to the modification pdf is current. I have downloaded the modification/check sheet hyperlink, but it is marked december 2004.

I would not trust anything this old, as I am sure Yaesu has made changes since that time. As both my FT897D radios are relatively recent, I would not be comfortable using these values of bias as accurate. I understand about minimum levels etc, but there is more to a circuit than a bias level.

I have unsuccessfully tried to find, or buy a recent manual for the FT897D. I have an old pdf for a FT897, but things have changed since that model.

I will put my FT897Ds' on my spectrum analyser with a two tone signal and check the IMD, just to be sure, as you suggest.

Do you have a set of bias current levels for recent FT897D models obtained from a recent yaesu service manual. If so, would you be so kind as to post them.

Oh, and to keep in the spirit of this thread, also provide instructions of which color test lead to plug into the positive socket of the walmart multimeter! (LOL).

AB4D - most humorous post!

Tnx Pedro and 73s.
CHRISDX

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2010, 04:42:09 PM »

The sensational headline grabbed me, now I feel like I need a shower.

Anyway, there was (possibly or probably) a kernel of useful ham related tech info by the OP and some follow-on replies.

In the future, a better headline might be "Yeasu factory units out of adjustment, here is the fix"

Then publish the fix, in as simple and linear terms as possible since some of us are new hams.

As to opening the radio, todats smt/ic based rigs especially compact ones can be intimidating. It's not like th spread out, simpler tube radios of the past. Personally, I would still like to learn. I have both a 706Mk2g as ell as a 7000 and would love the opportunity to be shown how to check what could be checked and possibly improve the results.

As to the O/T stuff, I am proud to be an American. I feel that we as a nation do things big, big mistakes but big progress and big contributions. Our founders introduced the idea that Liberty is God-given, and inalienable and we have fought for that ideal ever since. I value that. We have been a force for GOOD especially throughout the 20th century. Because of our wealth and unwavering dedication to the principles laid out by our founders of Liberty, we have helped our European friends avoid having to speak both German AND Russian, don't forget the bill for winning the cold war (when no one else would have been able to) is a big part of our national debt - a current issue we are trying to deal with.

On radio's, even though I am a new ham, I still think my 7000's transmitter is more than a "President Lincoln CB Rig". I have made contacts throughout the world, something the CB probably wouldnt do as well.

There are blogs for political stuff and a place to argue. This ham-community isnt one of them, in my opinion.

Let's stay on topic and be helpful.

State the problem, and the solution and see how many are helped.

If there is opportunity for me to check my 706 or 7000 for some of these same adjustment issues, I would like to learn about that.

73's
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2010, 02:33:03 PM »

My 857D has been working great, I love the radio I have made contacts to almost every part of the world with this rig and so far it has not blown up Grin

Sensational post, with little evidence, if the OP had opened 10 radios and said that 3 of them were not biased properly I would be worried; but his one radio example means nothing.
K4DPK

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2010, 09:24:59 PM »

I work a lot of CW.

For those of you unfamiliar with that term, it involves the encoding and decoding of carrier pulses, patterned to represent specific alphabetical and numerical characters, which of course yield words and other information.

In the past year, I have logged seven (7) stations to whom I gave a report of K, or key clicks.

Every one of them was using a Yaesu transceiver.  Two of them were FT-1000s.  The rest were 857s or 847s.

Improper biasing can be a cause of key clicks, as well as a generator of audio distortion.

Phil C. Sr.
k4dpk
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2010, 12:50:02 AM »

Hi Phil,

Thank you for the explanation of CW.
I have always wondered how CW encoded information, since CW stands for continuous wave.

As regards the key clicks on yaesu transceivers, please don't think me too critical, but your route between cause and effect is full of logical errors.
If you care to look some up they include:
Bad analogy, excluded middle and reductive fallacy.
I will now use the "argument from authority" myself, I used to be a ships sparky, so morse is second nature to me as well.

You have not given the sample size, the signal levels, the way of generating CW (direct cw or AFSK) or any of a myriad of factors which would make your statement provable.

If you look on the net, you will find numerous articles on the cause of key clicks.
There are, for example, issues on ICOM rigs with the ALC causing clicks when running on reduced power.
Yaesu rates mentions as well of course, as do elecraft and most other rigs.

Now, fun aside, as numerous other posters have stated, we are waiting for Pedro to post some recent bias levels from a recent manual so that we can check our rigs.

He made a mistake by letting the thread lurch into an America bashing exercise, but that can be corrected, if he cares to post.
You may say many things about Americans, but one thing they have not had taken away from them is their patriotism.
I understand that in the EU zone, patriotism is seen as a bit of a demon, as it has been instrumental in many wars, but being proud of your country should not be something of which you are ashamed.
Particularly when that freedom has been bought with the blood of its soldiers.
HAMMYGUY

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2010, 09:15:44 PM »

I certainly don't consider these rigs time bombs and I do own an 897. VG rigs overall.  

However the OP has made a valid point about overheating.  I have purchased two used 897's in the past, both had bad VHF/UHF finals. One was only few months old. Almost as bad as the old version FT-817's.  Any significant mismatch and POP goes the finals.  I've replaced at least four of those final boards over the years.  No they weren't modded for 10 watts.

So Yaesu does have a bad track record relating to burned out final transistors in this series of rigs.  No not everybody will have this experience, and most probably won't.  But that doesn't mean it hasn't happened.
AE5NE

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2010, 10:45:22 AM »

With my recent experience having the EEPROM trim values in the service menu randomly change, I am wondering if these problems are a result of this corruption.

They might be fine at the factory, then the EEPROM data gets corrupted and they are out of spec for bias or whatever.

Still a problem, even if that's the cause.
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2010, 12:47:40 PM »

The snarkey little twerp  seems to forget that the radios are made in Japan, not in the USA  and boy have I heard some LOUSY signals out of Europe, especially Italy.
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2010, 12:51:06 PM »

Does anyone MAKE any radios in his little US liberated part of the world to compare?  BTW 5 KC deviation rather than 3, OMG what a disaster.
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2010, 12:53:35 PM »

THis moron dumps on Yaesu gear and then brags about how many he owns...what is wrong with THAT picture???
ON7WP

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2010, 01:18:55 PM »

I am not complaining about ALL Yaesu gear, just warning about problems with the 857/897 radios.

The bias problem continues after all these years, all new radios also suffer from bad adjustment.  Yaesu service manual recommended settings are on the low end for the predrivers.  If you have the equipment, check with dual tone.  The website www.mods.dk has some good info on this topic.  Certainly check the VHF-UHF final as this one is usually to high.

I have nothing against Japanese radios, most are fine and better value for money than 95% of what is made in the US.  Ten-tec is over 20 years behind on the Japanese radios.  Elecraft is good but old fashioned design.  Most amazing observation I made is Hygain advertising the same ad on antennas for over 20 years in QST.  These guys are really standing still.  European antenna designs like optibeam are blasting these old pieces of aluminum away by several dB's.
Currently the state of the art HF radio is made in Switserland (!) and it is a lot cheaper than the Icom and Yaesu high end crap.  Look on the web for ADAT ADT-200A.  This radio has an S-meter that stands up against a high end spectrum analyser for just 5000 $

Sorry for my bad feelings against US made radio equipment but I just bought my third bunch of Professional microwave equipment there in three years and all ended up being crappy, having really bad specs or horrifying spectral output.  Next week I will be out doing another factory visit over there and I am already afraid what we are going to discover.

But I keep an open mind and give everybody chances.

And gentleman, please stop talking about things that happened 65 years ago.  I wasn't even born yet then.

I live now and see what our respective countries are producing right now.

To end with a patriotic touch: God Bless America and his president, at least they voted for a decent one...  (Yes I am a big fan of Obama...)

Please stick to the item, and if you have comments publish them with a funny touch like I do, do not insult people, even not if they are American :-)
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2010, 09:58:19 PM »

Hi Pedro,
Nice to see you back.
The swiss radio is interesting, but that front panel!
It would look nice in a 1960's cafe.
As regards technology, that ADAT radio relies entirely on advanced DSP chips for its operation.
Those DSP chips are Analog Devices Inc chips, an American company.

I wonder how they managed to put together those chips while scraping the roadkill off the road Smiley
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2010, 04:06:03 AM »

As regards technology, that ADAT radio relies entirely on advanced DSP chips for its operation.
Those DSP chips are Analog Devices Inc chips, an American company.

It goes to show you, it's the painter and not the paint that makes a great painting.
But that's a subject for another thread Smiley

K0PD

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2010, 11:10:03 AM »

Pedro ON7WP i was not going to respond to the radio discussion here as i did own a 897 at one time and it performed flawlessly and sorry i did not keep it. But your remark about Americas military making a Mess out of Iraq and Afghanistan i took very personal. I have two sons who fought over their and one was wounded and the other a Special forces soldier served three tours over there. And what i want to say it is not our fighting men that caused this mess your accusing us of but our politicians listening to your various european countries whining and afraid to make the Muslims angry that caused this mess that actually they the Iraquis and people of Afghanistan brought on there selves. Trust me and pray you never have to see it but we could have in a matter of days physically eliminated both those countries and there people. So with that said and i have no doubts nor questions of your technical knowledge lets just keep it at that a tech discussion and i personally really do not find the smart alec comments funny posted by others here. I'm sure you all know what was meant by the term used time bomb.
K0PD

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2010, 11:12:21 AM »

Pedro ON7WP i was not going to respond to the radio discussion here as i did own a 897 at one time and it performed flawlessly and sorry i did not keep it. But your remark about Americas military making a Mess out of Iraq and Afghanistan i took very personal. I have two sons who fought over their and one was wounded and the other a Special forces soldier served three tours over there. And what i want to say it is not our fighting men that caused this mess your accusing us of but our politicians listening to your various european countries whining and afraid to make the Muslims angry that caused this mess that actually they the Iraquis and people of Afghanistan brought on there selves. Trust me and pray you never have to see it but we could have in a matter of days physically eliminated both those countries and there people. So with that said and i have no doubts nor questions of your technical knowledge lets just keep it at that a tech discussion and i personally really do not find the smart alec comments funny posted by others here. I'm sure you all know what was meant by the term used time bomb.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: