Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: kenwood ts-440  (Read 1328 times)
VOODOO42

Ignore
« on: April 04, 2009, 11:46:09 AM »

I recently aquired a Kenwood ts-440. I am new to ham and don't know much about the radio. The Kenwood has worked great for the past week since buying;However, last night it started squelching out on its on. Almost like a gate or threshold might do. I am sure this isn't normal. after letting it power off for a while it seems to work properly again for several minutes and then happens again. I can scroll up a couple of bands and it opens up again. Also in Fm mode it does not happen. Just am usb and lsb.

I notced the fan was also not working. Didn't know if this fan comes on with the power or if it perhaps cuts on after reaching a certain temp. I am assuming not though. The radio does not get hot. I am basically just listening with no transmission. Any Ideas?

Thanks,
voodoo
VOODOO42

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 12:28:34 PM »

Also I can press the ATT button and that will allow it to open up again but only for a few seconds and then back quiet.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 01:57:25 PM »

"last night it started squelching out on its on"

Does the display show ". . . . . . . . ." instead of numbers when it does that?

That's a very common problem and I think maybe even the sound goes out before the dots show up...

There are a number of circuits inside that don't age well... they potted them in some water-absorbing rubber stuff that causes trouble over time, and it's basically a sure thing that it will happen to the rig eventually.

If that's the problem, the fix usually isn't too hard if you're handy with soldering gear and tweezers, you  just take the goop out and tweak a couple inductors while watching a voltage with a voltmeter as a first pass; you might want to join the TS-440 Yahoo Group or at least browse the archives:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TS-440/

I fixed my dots problem almost entirely by myself with help of info available there.

"I notced the fan was also not working. Didn't know if this fan comes on with the power or if it perhaps cuts on after reaching a certain temp."

Yes, the fan only comes on when the temp gets high enough.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
VOODOO42

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 03:04:07 PM »

no dots......the display still works great

thanks for the info
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 09:01:08 AM »

Where is the squelch control set? It should be all the way counterclockwise. It works in SSB too.
VOODOO42

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 03:41:25 PM »

it is all the way off.
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 05:06:54 PM »

My display has shown the dots also. I`ve never had the fan come on either,although the radio never runs hot. The Kenwoods seem to dissapate heat very well. The TS-440s was very prone to rf related problems if rf got into your radio it will chirp or distort on xmit. Mine would cut back power quite easily if swr was too high,or when driving an amplifier. The noise blanker worked quite well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: