Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Opening the TX/RX on Yeasu FT-8800R  (Read 8079 times)
TRIKSTR

Ignore
« on: August 07, 2003, 02:15:47 PM »

Has anyone done this?(eduactional only of course)
144-146MHz and 430-460MHz. This radio looks to be very similar to the FT-8900R.
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2003, 02:38:23 PM »

Why do you want to?

Other than some MARS VHF allocations (which you need a MARS license to operate on) there are no other frequencies on either side of the ham bands you can legally operate on.

Lon
WA4MJF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2003, 04:58:19 PM »

Probably another cb'er that thinks he's
"tricky".

73 de Ronnie
TRIKSTR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2003, 07:51:22 AM »

I'm just getting started in this and I've seen other mods for radios. Did you belittle them too?
Yours and the above post remind me of the airs that Flyfishermen put on about being better.
You did a nice job alienating me.
Thanks!

ps If I'd wanted to be 'tricky' I wouldn't have put my name(real).
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2003, 10:03:43 AM »

Brian,

Please see my original post to you. What are you trying to do?

There are no VHF/UHF frequencies other than a few MARS allocations that you could legally use the modified radio on, and you need to be MARS licensed to use the MARS frequencies.

Yea, many of us are suspicious of no-call-sign postings asking for instruction to make amateur radios operate on non-amateur frequencies. By and large, this is illegal and the vast majority of hams will not knowingly help someone committ illegal acts.

Lon
TRIKSTR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2003, 10:52:21 PM »

I'm currently working on my license. Right now the main use will while performing my duties with the volenteer fire dept. that I serve on. Our main useage is during the summer lightening storms looking for and fighting wildland fires. According to the county fire marshall I'm authorized to use the frequencies that would result from the modification only while performing the duties listed above.
I'm purchasing this equipment myself to be mounted in my Jeep. The rural area we live in has limited cell phone coverage and space is limited in my vehicle. I was hoping that with the mod I'd have a radio that could do it all. If this isn't right then I'll have to consider other options.
Thanks
Brian Wood
KE6PKJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2003, 12:25:26 AM »

Hi Brian,

Unfortunately you have a bit of incorrect information. Even though the fire marshall may allow you to use their frequencies to help you perform your duties as a volunteer firefighter, the law (F.C.C.) requires you to do so on a "type approved" radio. Unfortunately 99.99% of ham radios are not type approved for commercial service.
Most ham gear will not meet the spurious emissions or frequency tolerance specs that is required of commercial gear. Even if it did, the power amplifier modules used in ham gear won't perform well much outside of the ham bands. Doing so will cause them to overheat and fail prematurely. You certainly wouldn't want your own or somebody elses life/safety riding on a such a fragile limited system.
Your best bet is to purchase used an "approved commercial radio" either from a radio dealer or, (take your chances) ebay. A commercial radio can be programmed with all your fire frequencies and be modified to operate in the ham bands, this is perfectly legal. A ham only transciever is not legal to modify, which is why most hams bristle when asked.  

N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2003, 11:39:25 AM »

<< Right now the main use will while performing my duties with the volenteer fire dept. that I serve on. >>

With all due respect, Brian, That's not what you said in the original post. You referred to 'educational purposes'. Most hams read that as pure BS.

Lon
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2003, 08:29:55 PM »

hi brian,

with all the 'big cities' with deep pockets, I mean taxpayers, upgrading to new radio systems,
there are tons of used radios available to buy, some may already have the exact frequencies you need.

Check with your dept. and also post a message on the lists for fire service.

73 james
K4QCP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2003, 06:22:37 PM »

When someone finds out how to mod this rig let me know....

Thanks for the info

Paul
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2003, 11:30:38 PM »

Brian,

It would not be legal to modify an Amateur Radio to operate on Public Service frequencies, and others have stated the reasons.  Buying a commercially available radio for the public service band IS an option, but one comment was in error.  Such a radio MAY possibly be used on the Amateur Bands (that's perfectly legal) provided NO modification is made to the radio itself.  That would void the "type acceptance" and make it illegal to use on the PS bands.  If the radio can be programmed to operate on the Amateur bands, it would be OK.
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2003, 02:37:10 PM »

K4QCP

<<when someone finds out how to mod this rig let me know.... >>

As I mentioned to you in my email, with the exception of a small number of MARS frequencies (for which you need a MARS license), there is no legal use for "opening up" this radio.

Not too many people will help you knowingly committ an illegal act.

Lon
K4QCP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2003, 05:19:39 PM »

Okay Lon,

Lets get one thing straight. No one said to YOU that ANYONE was going to transmit out of band, NOR did anyone ever say to YOU OR ANYONE that they were going to actually perform the MOD..so GET OFF MY BACK!!!!

And who picked YOU the EHAM site POLICE ANYWAY??

You are probably one of those guys who thinks that if you havnt learned morse code and have taken the test in front of the fcc then you are not a real ham. Well hear this...I am an extra class amateur operator. I have learned code and I have the upmost respect for hams and the HOBBY!!! And just because I want the information DOES THAT CONSTITUTE A LAW HAVING BEEN BROKEN??....NO it does not. I have recently started my son into the amateur service and I am president of the Sumner County Amateur Radio Association, a club which was founded in 1972.

SO STOP MAKING IT LOOK LIKE I AM SOME KIND OF CRIMINAL WHEN I AM NOT...AND DONT CALL ME A CBer...because I AM NOT!!!

SO GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE!!

Thank You

Paul Suggs Sr.

N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2003, 06:53:58 PM »

<< Lets get one thing straight. No one said to YOU that ANYONE was going to transmit out of band, NOR did anyone ever say to YOU OR ANYONE that they were going to actually perform the MOD..so GET OFF MY BACK!!!! >>

Ok, let's get it straight ... WHY do you want the mod info if you have no intention of performing it? With only one legal use for the mod, and you mentioned nothing about it, the conclusion drawn is more than logical.

<< You are probably one of those guys who thinks that if you havnt learned morse code and have taken the test in front of the fcc then you are not a real ham. >>

Nope, I'm one of those who have an extreme difficulty learning CW and I so am a so-called Extra-lite. I really don't give two hoots about the CW/NO CW argument and really don't give two hoots about your license class, either. It has no bearing on the discussion.

<< AND DONT CALL ME A CBer...because I AM NOT!!! >>

Never have and don't plan to.

<< SO GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE!! >>

Nope! When people ask for information that can only result in a radio being used in a less than lawful manner I'll ride my horse and wave my lance around all I please. <g>

Sorry you are so defensive. Your problem, not mine. Smiley
K4QCP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2003, 09:43:47 PM »

Loni,

Stop CALLING ME A CRIMINAL!!!

So defensive...no problem here...just dont like being called a criminal by the EHAM POLICE!!

And what i do with the Mod info is merely MY BUSINESS...NOT YOURS!!!! Okay!!

The conclusion that you reach is your opinion and nothing more. I heard how you and the other call were harrasing other individuals on here simply because they were asking for information regarding a mod.

Since the recent trials of the NEW BAND 5 channel allocation, Suddenly MODS were IN and guys like YOU and your OPINIONS were OUT.

So GET OVER IT and get back to harrasing your wife instead of people involved in the HOBBY or whoever you enjoy harrasing.

SLEEP WELL!!

Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: