Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Opening the TX/RX on Yeasu FT-8800R  (Read 8746 times)
HORSE_SENSE

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2003, 04:15:10 AM »

Paul,
The FT-8800R receives out of band as its normal function, no mod needed. It just can't transmit out of band without a mod.... So the reasonable man would assume anyone wanting the mod to open up the transmit- would be to enable it to transmit illegaly, as Lon kindly pointed out to you. I'm sure you're aware that most ham radios don't meet FCC specs outside of their band limits.
  These "spectrally unpure" signals when transmitted could cause the ionosphere to collapse allowing the suns radiation to destroy every living thing on the planet. The solar winds would cause the oceans to rise abnormally...... Tsunamis if you will. These large rolling waves would unbalance the earth right off its axis. The ensuing earthquakes, volcanoes, and general chaos of the earth imploding- as it's being dragged towards the sun.... Well, it just isn't worth the chance that you might accidentally key up.
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2003, 08:27:18 AM »

<< Loni >>

It's Lon or Lonnie.

<< Stop CALLING ME A CRIMINAL!!! >>

Stop putting works in my mouth. I never called you a criminal. To quote the old Bard, "Methinks thou dost protest too much." Smiley

<< And what i do with the Mod info is merely MY BUSINESS...NOT YOURS!!!! >>

True, but that doesn't mean you are going to ge help doing whatever it is you want to do that doesn't _appear_ to be legal.

<< I heard how you and the other call were harrasing other individuals on here simply because they were asking for information regarding a mod.>>

If you call asking for a _legitimate_ reason for the mod request harrassment, then I'll plead guilty. The original posted first said it was for 'educational' reasons, then says he needs to use the radio on a fire department frequency, which isn't legal to do. Then YOU ask for the mod anyway. Kinda hard not to draw a conclusion there.

<< Since the recent trials of the NEW BAND 5 channel allocation, Suddenly MODS were IN and guys like YOU and your OPINIONS were OUT.>>

Two different things, my friend. The 60m mod is very legal as is the transmission on 60m, as long as the transmitter can meet spectral purity requirements. Asking to mod a radio that has no legitimate use outside the ham bands except for MARS usage is a totally different matter. If you can't seen the difference, then that's your problem.

I have several radios that have been modified to transmit outside the regular amateur bands, but then I have the MARS license hanging on my wall that gives me the authority to legally transmit on those frequencies.

<< So GET OVER IT and get back to harrasing your wife instead of people involved in the HOBBY or whoever you enjoy harrasing.>>

Thank you for leaving my wife out of this. You have just gotten very nasty!

Give me ONE, just ONE, legitimate reason for wanting to put the 8800 outside the ham bands, with the proof that you are authorised to use it there, and I'll drop the subject.

<< SLEEP WELL!! >>

Is that some sort of threat? Smiley I sleep VERY well, every night.

Lon (please note the correct spelling)
K4QCP

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2003, 10:04:29 PM »

Lon,

I understand you have nothing else to do but argue so this will be the last.

You were calling me a criminal so dont say you were not.

And, I will let you know that I do not practice out of band transmitions..BELIEVE ME! I do however want the mod information.

I was mainly making a point regarding YOU and your continual SLAMMING of me as well as others. If you would simply make your point without personal attacks maybe you would get somewhere with your arguments. Unless you find yourself as A LEGEND IN YOUR OWN MIND..hmmm??

"The Negotiating Game" by Dr. Chester L. Karass

Try it, it is very informative, although from the old school of thought, it is very educational.

Oh and the copy and paste thing....HA HA HA HA that is too funny.

Thank You

Paul Suggs

K4QCP

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2003, 10:05:53 PM »

Horse sense,

THAT WAS TOO FUNNY...HA HA HA HA

N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2003, 08:22:40 AM »

Sir,

<< You were calling me a criminal so dont say you were not.>>

This is not true and you know it. At no time did I ever call you a criminal and you cannot find a single instance in all these posts where I did.

What I DID say was there is no legal use for a out of band mod for this radio except MARS. I also said no one was going to help you knowingly commit an illegal act.

<< And, I will let you know that I do not practice out of band transmitions..BELIEVE ME! I do however want the mod information. >>

And I repeat the question I have asked several times ... Why? Intellectual curiosity is so much BS and we both know it. Smiley

<< If you would simply make your point without personal attacks maybe you would get somewhere with your arguments. >>

At no time have I said anything that can be construed by any rational person as a personal attack. You, however, made a very disparaging remark about my relationship with my wife.

<< "The Negotiating Game" by Dr. Chester L. Karass >>

Read the book; this is not a negotiation. It is you over-reacting to a simple question of why you want to do something that cannot result in a lawful consequence.

<< Oh and the copy and paste thing....HA HA HA HA that is too funny. >>

Why do you find this funny? It is common practice in an online discussion.

Lon

KG6DOQ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2003, 12:43:07 AM »

(I really hate getting us back on topic here but...)
I found some info at this URL which may work.

http://www.mods.dk/mods.php3?radio=yaesu&model=ft-8800&selectid=2815#2815

I haven't personally tried this, use at your own risk, etc.

KG4VPV

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2003, 06:02:13 AM »

Just remember OM and YL's, a good rule of thumb for modifications is: Commercial radio's modified for a licensed operator within amateur bands is legal.  Modifying Amateur equipment for use in any other service is not.  I just dont like seeing people get into trouble, knowingly or not.

Eric
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2003, 03:56:59 PM »

by KG4VPV on August 31, 2003
                                                                                                Just remember OM and YL's, a good rule of thumb for modifications is: Commercial radio's modified for a licensed operator
                within amateur bands is legal. Modifying Amateur equipment for use in any other service is not. I just dont like seeing people
                get into trouble, knowingly or not.
=========================================

One correction to the above:  It IS legal for Amateurs to modify (by that, I mean make physical changes to the circuitry, not just program additional frequencies if the radio has that capability) ) commercial gear for use on Amateur frequencies.  But once physically modified, the radio is NO LONGER LEGAL to use on the commercial frequencies.  Any modification to the transmitter of ANY "type-accepted" radio voids the type acceptance.
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2003, 12:41:51 AM »

5678:

I do not think you will be able to communicate using an Amateur Radio.  The modification, if possible, would not be legal.  (Yes, I know, BUMMER.)
    Most Amateur radios, however would allow you to LISTEN on the frequencies you listed.
     If you search this forum and a few others here at E-Ham, (back say 5-8 months ago) you will find a few posts that address the type of (hand-held) radios that are type-accepted commercial units, but will also cover the Amateur bands.  Such units DO exist, and are worth considering.  Good luck!
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2003, 02:05:51 PM »

<< If it is legal to modify commercial radios for ham frequencies,>>

Yes, but if the mod requires physically altering the radio, then is it no longer type accepted for commercial use. If all the mod requires is reprogramming, then that's probably acceptable.

<< does Yeasu make radios such as the 8800?>>

I am unaware of any commercial dual band (150mhs/450mhz)radios. As far as I know thay are all single band.

<< I have family that uses 463 and 150 frequencies. I am studying to get my ham license,and I want to stay legal as well as use one radio.>>

Sorry, you can do that with the situation you describe.

Lon

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2003, 11:13:29 PM »

If it is legal to modify commercial radios for ham frequencies, does Yeasu make radios such as the 8800?  I have family that uses 463 and 150 frequencies.  I am studying to get my ham license,and I want to stay legal as well as use one radio.  I have tried searching for such radios but keep getting ham links.  If you could direct in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it!
WP4KAG

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2004, 03:04:46 PM »

Stop arguing and post the Tx/Rx modification please.

73'
TXJEEP98

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2005, 04:58:48 PM »

I don't mean to resurect the dead by posting on this thread, but with is this MARS thing I keep hearing?  And CAP?  Whats that?  

N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2005, 06:26:35 PM »

MARS is the Military Affiliate Radio Service, a service of amateur radio operators operating under license from the Department of Defense to support DoD communications missions. The operation is on military frequencies outside the ham bands.

The CAP is the Civil Air Patrol, a search and rescue auxiliary of the Air Force. Like MARS, they operate on frequencies outside the ham bands.

The so-called MARS/CAP mod is done to allow ham gear to be used on these frequencies.

CAP no longer uses modified ham gear, but MARS does.

The problem is that all too many people think they can use modified ham gear on the various law enforcement / public service / fire or business bands. This is NOT true. Radios for those services must be type-accepted by the FCC and modified ham gear does not qualify. Agencies can, and have, lost their licenses and be fined BIG bucks for allowing non-type accepted radios to be used on their frequencies.

I hope this answers your questions and explains why the vast majority of hams on eHam refuse to give out mod information to make ham radios operate outside the ham bands.

Lon
TROUBLEMAKER

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2005, 04:35:30 PM »

All that bitching and fighting coming from a bunch of ham geeks who all have modified radios but try to keep the "holier-than-thou" persona intact.

Here is the extended transmit modification for the FT-8800r: http://mods.dk/forum.php?action=ViewModelThread&Thread=4357

The mod works very well, I own both the 8800 and the 8900. The mod is the same for both. Hell, I transmit on all kinds of illegal frequencies and piss off all kinds of cops and public service agencies.

Cry, ham geek, cry!

Morons...

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: