Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS-2000 display loses power  (Read 6413 times)
KI4TVH

Ignore
« on: December 21, 2007, 05:17:05 AM »

My Kenwood TS-2000 developed a problem last week where the display loses all power after a few seconds of operation.  The radio is still receiveing and I can control the rig with ARCP or HRD, or whatever else.  I took it in for repair and haven't heard anything back yet.  Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and if so what the resolution was.

I've seen a few posts about the same problem on a couple of Yahoo groups, but no information on what it takes to repair.

Greg
WA9UAA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 02:38:36 PM »

Hi Greg,
A question actually, did the lights go out, i.e. could you see the display if you were to shine a flashlight on it? If so the light bulbs died. Secondly the information for the display isn't getting there or being decoded properly. Could be a variety of causes.
Rob WA9UAA
KI4TVH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 05:32:24 PM »

I picked the radio up today from the shop.  Of course it stopped acting up, the tech has had the radio on for a few days with no problems.

The control panel was losing all power.  I could still control the rig with software on a PC, but no response from anything on the front panel.  When I first dropped the rig off with the tech, he did some tests, one of which where he just pressed the + button to start the radio cycling through the bands and when the panel lost power, the radio continued to cycle through the bands.

I'll get it hooked up tomorrow and see how it goes.

WA9UAA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 11:11:03 AM »

Hi Greg,
Hope all went well, my next thought would be a loose ribbon cable between the front panel and the main part of the rig. There are several, if I remember right.
Rob WA9UAA
KI4TVH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 04:24:19 PM »

I checked all the ribbon cables myself before taking it in.  It was still exhibiting the problem even after that.

I've had the rig running since Saturday afternoon with no problems (knock on wood).  I've been running WX from it via APRS as well and it's performing flawlessly.

Greg
WA4BLM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 06:23:41 AM »

Hi Greg.

Hope your radio keeps working.  I had a similar problem with mine.  It would run for a few minutes, sometimes several hours, and then give the problem you describe.  This was during the summer and the shack was kind of warm so I thought it might be heat related.  I took both covers off and blew it out well with an air compressor.  Since then I have had no more problems, even when leaving it runing all day numerous times.  There did not seem to be that much dust when I blew it out but maybe there was just enough in the wrong place.  I saw and commented on this in the Yahoo Group for the TS-2000 so maybe this is a somewhat common problem in the 2000.  If yours starts acting up you might give it a try, especially around the fan.  It can't hurt anything and, apparently, it fixed mine.

73 and good luck,
John WA4BLM  
KI4TVH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 05:29:14 AM »

Thanks John.  I saw your post on the Yahoo group as well and I did the same when I first discovered the problem, except I used canned air instead of a compressor, to no avail.

So far it's been running for six straight days with no hiccups.  Knocks on wood.

Greg
KI4TVH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 12:08:29 PM »

Just another report, the rig has been running 24/7 since I picked it up from the shop with no incident.  I wish the XP machine that I have connected to it running UI-View would do the same.
AJ4FJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 04:37:58 PM »

Seems that it's acting up again.  Noticed it yesterday for the first time in months.

Greg
(former KI4TVH)
KB1KHM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2009, 11:57:39 AM »

My ts-2000 is doing the same thing. Wondering if you found a solution.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 12:55:52 PM »

Reread what WA9UAA had to say up there earlier.  

See if you can see the screen working under flashlight or even reflected daylight.  

The backlight could be the intermittent thing here, that's the most common problem associated with such, although there can be other problems if the backlight is working and the display itself is not.  

If you can prove that it is a backlight problem, then the tech can replace the entire backlight power supply section, that usually stops this problem.
KB1KHM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2009, 01:43:19 PM »

I cant see the LCD working with a flashlight. Also the key lights go out.

The power switch will not turn the radio off after the display goes out, I have to un-power it.

The inside is very clean and no loose wires (too easy).

Using the Kenwood remote software I can control the radio but not always turn it off.
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 07:22:19 PM »

Are you comfortable working with surface mount components? If so I can give you the parts to replace. At least what has worked for me. You will need a service manual to find them on the board.

Clif Holland KA5IPF
www.avvid.com
KB1KHM

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2009, 04:11:06 AM »

Hi Clif,

No problem working with surface mount components, and I have a copy of the service manual.

Thanks.

Peter
KB1KHM
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2009, 07:47:03 AM »

Ok, replace Q17 and CP19 on the control unit. So far that has worked for me.

Clif
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: