Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ...and then there's Burghardt's....  (Read 2349 times)
N3DQU

Ignore
« on: October 25, 2000, 02:39:01 AM »

I've really had good luck with these guys...might not be the cheapest, but I think the service is better.
KC0FNS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2000, 07:56:23 PM »

I like this store.  I like buying used stuff from them.  I like dealing with the
sales folks.  I have bought from these guys a few times, and will do so again
when I can.  No vendor or company is perfect.  The seem to have a pretty
honest bunch of folks running the place.

Mark, KC0FNS
KC0BDW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2000, 03:24:02 AM »

Well I ordered a TS-520 and a few other things on Monday Nov. 6th 2000 Knowing that it only takes one day for things to ship from Watertown to my QTH.. On Wed. I called them wondering where my order was as I haven't recevied it yet.. I talked to the receptionest and she told me that they had to order a few parts and my order would be shipped out early next week. Thinking that it was a tuner or something else I let it go.. Later that night I got a call about 6:30pm saying that before they shipped it out they fully check out all used equipment and discovered a problem with the rig and had to order some parts for it so it would be a little bit before I received my order. Now I'm not shure if i should be upset with them or not.. On one hand they should have checked the rig before they resold it or even before they took it for trade. On the other hand I'm glad they found the problem before I recevied the rig..
KC0FNS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2000, 06:09:53 PM »

Well, I am pretty sure it will work when you get it there.  I had the same delay
for a xceiver I purchased.  But it worked fine when I got it.  Not sure what the delay
is, but I still like the service.

Mark
W8OB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2000, 04:08:24 PM »

i just had my first deal with burghardts and i am very pleased with how it went. i purchased
a tl922a amp it took a few days for the service department to check it out before shipping ,
but when it arrived it was well packed the fellows over there build a plywood crate to ship it
in along with professional banding. the unit was as described to be over the telephone and
checked out well. i will be back for further purchases
KC0BDW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2000, 01:17:37 PM »

Well I recevied my 520 on Friday the 17th. They did put in new tubes but now my tuner has been backordered. So now the question is why when I ordered everything it was in stock but now it isn't.. I talked to Pete, and he was very nice about everything. Perhaps I'm just venting..
W0ZT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2000, 05:40:59 PM »

I have dealt with all the major amateur companies over the years and Jim Smith and Burghardt are by far the best.  I have taken delivery on a few items that were damaged or failed shortly after receipt and could not be more happy and pleased with the way that I was treated.  In every case Jim Smith or a member of his staff promptly repaired or replaced the problem item.  For my money and time, the personal service that I get from Burghardt is tremendous.  I know that I can depend on them to make it right.  I buy all my equipment  from them.
KC0INZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2001, 03:24:14 PM »

I find their way of doing business very frustrating.  I looked around a long time for a good used ICOM 746. I was going to buy one from an individual, but then found out that Burghardts had one for sale.  Cost was a little bit higher, but I figured that the peace of mind of buying from an outfit with a good reputation was worth the extra money.  They agreed to cover the radio with a 6 month warranty because it was fairly new.  My frustration comes from the fact that I will not get my radio until several weeks have gone by.  They don't send used stuff into the shop to check it out until it is already sold.  The radio needed several parts replaced which they have ordered.  I appreciate the fact that they are so thorough and won't send out something that is not right, but why wait until the sale is complete before checking out the radio?  They should check them out and make needed repairs BEFORE the unit is sold.  I don't know about other hams, but I don't often have alot of cash for big ticket items like an ICOM 746.  When I finally can afford to buy something like that, I want it to come promptly.  Their method of handling the service and testing after the sale has turned what should have been a happy and exciting experience in getting a new rig into a frustrating and angry experience.  I know I won't recommend them to anyone that wants what they purchase in a timely fashion.  I appreciate the fact that they check everything out thoroughly, but it should be done prior to sale.  KC0INZ.
KC0INZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2001, 04:04:28 PM »

Well, Okay.  I can admit when I am wrong.  Got an e-mail back from Burghardts that my radio was shipped and is on its way.  I called them this morning and they said parts were on order and it would be a week or so until the parts came in and a few days after that until the radio shipped out.  That's what prompted my previous post about waiting a few weeks to get my radio.  Someone at Burghardts gave me incorrect info when I called.  It has still been about a week since I ordered the radio until it was shipped, but I guess that's not an unreasonable time frame.  KC0INZ (eating crow, lightly grilled)
KC9L

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2001, 02:57:26 PM »

I didn't like the way these guys charged me.  I traded in an old rig for a new one, told the guy over the phone that i didn't have the original hand mic.  He said, "no problem".  Well, a bill showed up a few weeks later for a new hand mic.  Never paid it.  That was about 3 years ago.  They lost me as a repeat customer.
KC0EAO

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2001, 09:54:56 AM »

I drove down to Burghardt's this week and picked up a couple radios.  The price was in-line with other places and Jim was very courteous towards us.  Overall it was a very pleasant buying experience and I'm satisfied with the level of service they offered.  I understand Burghardt's doesn't have as extensive of an inventory as others, but for the gear they do have I won't hesitate to give them a try in the future.  I can't comment on their trade-in / repair services, as I've never used them.
K5TEE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2001, 02:43:04 PM »

I have purchased equipment from Burghardt's in the past and I have been very happy with them, However, their billing practice is something that is going to make people quit buying from them. I sent a radio, that I had purchased from them years back, to them to be repaired and I asked for an estimate (which they do not do and do not let you know that). They had to send the unit to the factory because they could not fix it.
Then called me to let me know the radio was fixed about 3 weeks later and told me what it would cost. When the radio arrived, it was fixed and works fine, but the bill was for $15.00 more than I was told it would be. This does not sound like a lot of money to charge one person, but this practice is not happening to just me. Think about it, $15.00 per charge extra and if you charge 10 people thats $150.00 extra or 100 people thats $1,500.00 extra. Is that any kind of way to do business?
They lost their business with me.
By the way, I did call and inquire about the extra charge and was informed that this is their standard way of doing business.
Just my own thoughts.
Tom Ellis
K5TEE
K9JHU

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2001, 12:57:23 PM »

Class operation run by class people. They under-promise and over deliver. Purchased a Icom 756 refurbished HF transceiver and it arrived in mint condition. Since then  have purchased a sm-20 mike and a sp-20 speaker.
Had a need to use their service dept., as they replaced a defective s meter under their warranty. Absolutely no hassles.
Any other needs will surely come from Burghardts.
Thanks guys for the great service......
W0KDX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2001, 08:31:43 AM »

Yeah, I had a similar experience.  Quote one thing on the phone for a trade in, shipped the trade in to them, got the item I ordered (it was a bit more scratched up then the "excellent condition" they advertised).  Got the invoice, an additional 30-50 was tacked onto my card account.

Called and the guy at the other end gave me some lame excuse.  I told him I would be shipping his radio back and to ready my trade in for return to me.  Problem ?  They sold my radio in the time it took for theirs to get to me.  I got screwed out of additional cash that I could have used to buy another model elsewhere.  I chose them because their "price" was a bit better.  Won't be dealing with them again.  Ever.
I consider that fraudulent credit card charging.

KE9UE

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2001, 02:28:03 AM »

Have been dealing with Jim Smith for years in every kind of deals and also his service dept.Found the personal service outstanding...I always buy my stuff from Burghardt even if they are higher....we need to support our retailers....the few negative comments on here sounds like the usual cheapskate whiners that too often only stand up to make negative comments on everthing..  Tom Kinney
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: