Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-897D lots of internal static  (Read 15320 times)
KE5KDT

Ignore
« on: November 25, 2009, 05:57:33 AM »

Picked up a two year old 897D from an SK and with no antenna connected and running on battery power or with an antenna connected and running on power supply power, internal unit or external PS, I get lots of static just like an am radio in a lightning storm. I thought it might be picking up some static in my shack so I went through the drill of several power supplies, and with the antennna connected and disconnected and even went to portable pack and carried away from electrical equipment and still has static crashes. Did a complete system reset with no change.
Seems to receive fine but with the static always in the background. It drives the LDG external meter nuts with the static noise. I hooked up a IC-706MKIIG in its place with no antenna and only heard the white noise so it appears to be internal to the 897D.
Got some clues out there? Bob in Texas
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 08:53:00 AM »

Used to some wiseguy would say: "It's probably just a loose wire."

Well it's probably just a loose wire or a bad connection.  Maybe just a dirty control or switch.

Allen
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 04:50:44 PM »

I "HAD" a Yaesu 857D & it was the WORST radio I have EVER owned or operated.ALWAYS had an S-6 on noise on 6 meters in my shack & tried my 756 PROII & ICOM 746PRO & BOTH had ZERO noise! I tried running it mobile as well but the NOISE was even worse on ALL bands.It is basically the same rig as the 897D.Check the feedback on BOTH rigs here on eham & you'll see follks either LOVE them or HATE them BOTH!My ICOM 7000,ICOM 706 MII,& ICOM 706 were ALL quieter & the ORIGINAL 706 did NOT have DSP filtering?

Clayton
W4KVW
KE5KDT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 06:13:54 PM »

Thanks Clayton.  Yes, I do a review on eham on all radios I buy.  I was having a conversation one day on hf and the guy remarked that "friends don't let friends buy Yaesu."  Maybe he was right.  I have primarily been with Kenwoods (still use a 870S, also tried a 2000, 570, 820, and 480) and tried a 706MKIIG and didn't really like it, selling it after about 6 months.   You might say I'm just trying most of the medium priced radios to see what works for me.  I did end up with another MKIIG after a guy was in need of money, selling the radio for $300.  Still have it thinking I'd give it another try..

I wanted to try QRP and got an 817 and was somewhat impressed with the little radio.  That led me to try a 857d and then an 897D being the package was relatively small.  I got such good deals on them that I knew I could resell them easily.  I haven't done much with either but when I gave the 897 a short tryout this week static was very disturbing.   The 706 and 857 are not that far apart on the eham reviews.  Yaesu and Icom both seem to fall down on equipment support after the sale, dropping replacement parts while still selling the units new.  Go figure that one.

I pulled the panels off the 897 yesterday and sprayed it with cool spray and the problem so far seems to have gone away.  I'll probably keep it for a while and sell it off.  

I have a 756 and a 756PRO II and like the scope on the radios but the receive audio sounds too digital/harsh to me on the PROII.  I got so hungry for a smooth sound I pulled my TS-830S out of the closet.  

As you know, hams try lots of things and have great luck with some while others have lemons.    

Thanks for your response and I'll see if the noise comes back and with your mention of 6 meters I'll check that closely.

Thanks, Bob  KE5KDT
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 07:14:17 AM »

If you sell the radio, be an ethical ham and tell the prospective new owner about the problem you had and the fix. If you are honest with folks, usually they don't mind the risk and buy the radio anyway. That has been my experience and I sleep well at night.
KE5KDT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 07:40:49 AM »

Concur with being upfront.  I've been fortunate and only had a few hams that weren't completely upfront with problems.  I give a statement of know problems and a money back guarantee with my radio sales, which are few.  An update on the problem, ran the radio for hours yesterday and no problems.  Made a contact with Japan and all was good.  Any time I noticed static I took the antenna offline and the static went away completely.  Also checked beteween radios to see it static was radio specific and it wasn't.  I'll concentrate on using this rig for a while to see if it pops up again.  Thanks, Bob
K8KAS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 02:28:41 PM »

Bob, I had the same problem when I took the my new FT897 out of the box. The thing has about 20 db too much receiver gain. You should reduce the receiver gain with the internal attn settings. I don't know why they provided so much gain in this rig, I have never seen another rig like this. I don't think you will have any problem if you cut it back it to show a noise level of S--2 or 3. Have Fun Denny 73 K8KAS..
KE5KDT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 05:45:59 PM »

K8KAS what internal attenuation setting are you referring to?  Bob
WA0KAQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 11:35:24 AM »

I'm having the same problem with mine that was produced in 2007 and only lightly used. The noise just started about 2 months ago. To eliminate possible noises from the house or the power supply, I took mine out to the travel trailer and hooked it to a battery with no antenna connnected. Still had the same problem. It doesn't matter what mode the radio is on either. The noise floor in these rigs is bad enough, but add the "static" and at times it's unusable.

If anyone figures this problem out, I'd like to know the results. My old FT-890AT can run rings around the FT-897D. Too bad it doesn't have 6 meters and VHF/UHF.

Bill, WA0KAQ
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 03:32:19 PM »

I bought a well used FT-857 to play with 3 years ago with the same problem. A little cold spray, and a heat gun (actually my hot air SMD soldering outfit with the temp turned way down), and the problem was ID'd. In my case, the problem was a defective IC in the audio section. If memory serves, it was the M51132 which drives the final audio amp.

For neophytes, this is not an easy fix. You not only need the part, you need the SMD tools too. In any case, it is fixable, and certainly isn't Yaesu inherent, as they don't make the ICs.

WA0KAQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 01:18:40 PM »

Mine is at Burghardt Amateur Repair in SD at the moment. I sent Jim Smith an audio recording of the problem before I sent it, and he said it sounded like a problem in the DDS unit. I should know for sure in a week or so.

Bill, WA0KAQ
KE5KDT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 05:30:01 PM »

Greetings Bill.  Let me know what you find out as to the nature of the problem and cost to repair.  I haven't had mine turned on is more than a month.  Bob
KB2CPW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 06:06:27 PM »

I have two 857's currently and have owned a total of 4 and never had anything major with any one of them but the first. It was a problem with the firmware being corrupted by rf, which was a problem in the early ones.

Anyway, the last one I picked up had the above problem. I took the time to reseat all of the cables and tightened the boards, the problem went away. So in the time it takes to complain about the radio and throw out all sorts of witticisms about Yaesu products, one could be on the air like I am.  So stop doing your nails and open the radio, then commence reseating everything.

As far as these rigs go, I have one bouncing around in my car for 216,000 NYC miles and once in a while it has a hiccup and needs to be gone over.. Pretty good and solid radios so I wouldn't listen to what your "friends" tell you about buying Yaesu radios..
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 10:13:11 PM »

I have two ft897d radios and a ft817nd, all are going great, and have been for years. These are great little, tough radios. I agree with the comment about the rx gain being set too high on these suckers, so use the IPO to quieten things down. If the cold spray did the trick, and it stayed fixed, it sounds like a "bad connection" which may now be ok. The comment about reseating connectors is a good one. On the friend saying he would not recommend Yaesu to friends, this sounds like a Mac user type of statement about Windows users. I have had many yaesu radios over 40 years of hamming and not one has ever failed! Of course some will, but I do not keep buying them because they fail! Most vendors make the best radio they can, and their will always be lemons, but to make broad statements about a vendor which is not true in practice is not doing your friends a favor.
WA0KAQ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 04:30:48 PM »

My "static" problems were evidently caused by poor factory soldering on Q1092. I've been using the radio for two months now, and I've only heard a couple of short static bursts since it was "fixed." I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: