Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FT-817  (Read 16901 times)
KC7JBV

Ignore
« on: October 21, 2000, 02:40:05 AM »

Does anyone have any idea as to when this radio will be released in the US?  I have contacted three different radio dealers and have received three different responses.  Anyone?
G3XBM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2000, 03:58:38 PM »

Can't speak for the USA but in the UK it is unlikely to appear until 2001 sometime at a price of £799 UK pounds. One issue may be that they still have to get FCC and CE approvals to release it in both markets I think.

It will be some rig when it does arrive!

KL0QQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2000, 04:47:57 AM »

All indications are looking like "In time for Christmas". However Yeasu Just changed its disclamer on the 817's website from "not to be offered for sale..." to "Coming soon to your nearest Yaesu authorized dealer!!".
K7ZOV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2000, 02:09:16 PM »

HAM RADIO OUTLET (HRO) IS EXPECTING UNITS IN NOVEMBER.  GO TO THEIR WEB SITE A
AND DO A PRODUCT SEARCH.  THE PRICE WILL BE $750.  THEY ALREADY TOOK MY
ORDER AND MY MONEY AS OF MONDAY OF THIS WEEK (10-23-00).  I'M SURE IT WILL BE
FIRST COME- FIREST SERVE AND I HAVE A FEELING THEIR MIGHT BE A WAITING LIST
REAL SOON.  SINCE HRO IS TAKING MONEY I'M SURE THEY KNOW SOMETHING WE DON'T KNOW...
HARRY K7ZOV
WA8SHC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2000, 05:10:12 PM »

Amateur Electronic Supply, and Burghardt also are showing a $770-780 price tag for the FT817 on thier web sites. AES Cleveland says they should have stock on the shelves in abt 2-3 weeks (mid Nov). Sure hope this radio doesnt have problems like the FT-100 did
WA8SHC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2000, 08:49:07 AM »

There is a new discussion group fro the FT-817 on E-Group (www.egroups.com). Do a search on FT817 (no dash) from the main page and it will take you to the group. Dont forget to subscribe.
It appears that there are at least 2 of these radios already in the US. One was received from a friend in Japan, and the other was bought at Pacificom.
The only problem reported is a 'minor' bug in the mike audio/cpu area. The mike gain seems to be limited by the CPU settings, and as a result the xmit audio is on the tinny side. Read about it for yourself.
OZ1GIY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2000, 02:31:01 PM »

According to Yaesu Europe, Great Britain and Germany, european hams can expect the FT-817 in the stores around December ~ January.

Price range DM 2,000 UKP 700 DKR 8.000

AD6A

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2000, 10:53:30 PM »

They should be here in the US in a couple of weeks.
As soon as I have mine (#3 off the boat at HRO apparently) I'll write an extensive review.

I took the liberty of starting a new product review section on eham for the FT-817 just now. It's under QRP Radios. When you have yours, please post a review for others to learn from.

Cheers es 72,
Dave Fifield, AD6A

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2000, 09:36:41 PM »

I'm posting this anonymously as I do not want anybody to "shoot the messenger." It's a "hands on" item in the Connecticut freeband market. Word is it's extremely mod friendly. Check the popular websites. I'm at a loss as to how this stuff makes it in before the official release date. God Bless.
K7ZOV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2000, 12:10:15 AM »

As of 11/15/2000 I now own one of the first two FT-817 in the Arizona area. (My boss owns the second one.)  Do to my work load it will be a few days before I can really shake it out.  My first impression is 'WOW'.  The packaging is clean, the audio is quite acceptable and the feature list is unbelievable.

If you have puggy fingers you might find the SEL knob a little too close to the BNC connector. This is really no big deal.

The manual appears to be well written. As I go into discovery mode I'll find out how good it really is.  But so far I have found everything will no problem. (Now the VX-5R manual I found to be a real pain.)

When you look at the schematic and then look at the rig you will most likely say "yea right, no way!"  The radio is packed beyond belief with discreet components.  I assumed the unit would be packed with lots of large IC's .... nope.  Just plenty of parts.

As of tonight I am pleased with my selection.  Look for a review in the near future.  I will give it a good try using PSK-31 also.  Interfacing looks like a piece of cake.  CW should be interesting also.  The rig has a built in keyer and is very straight key friendly.

One last thing.  The picture shows a front panel antenna.  As I suspected it is for 50, 144, 432 and FM (music) use only.  I did do a antenna menu switch on the low bands and it does recieve (sort of) but it is not for transmitting.  No big deal.  My LDG QRP tuner is the exact same size as the FT-817.  I already made a cable from the ACC connector to the tuner.  I'll next make a 4:1 balum and really test itout on 40  - 6 meters with a hunk of wire and see what 2.5 watts can do with this baby.

If you have any question email me at lattermanh@earthlink.net.  I'll try to answer them.

Harry  K7ZOV
OZ1GIY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2000, 03:35:34 AM »

Hank,

Could you give me a satus on the powering of the tuner whenever you get it hooked up. I proposed a similar thing on the FT-817 Egroups reflector. I am still waiting for the rig to show up here in Denmark.

Regards,

Erik
OZ1GIY
N6NLX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2000, 09:50:14 PM »

Harry,

The front port will transmit on hf as will the rear.
They can be used for either one. I was in Tucson last Thursday and was working 10 meters on a telescoping antenna that I have for my DX-handie. I made several contacts with it. It's sure is a great radio isn't it?
I made a contact last night on 10 to Rorotonga <sp>? in the Cook Island chain. I was using a log periodic though.
I would like to find the mod for it for the simple fact that as a back pack radio, I would like to be able to monitor NOAA wx in the 164.200 range. It seems silly that it doesn't work there but it works in the cordless phone area.
Great radio!!!

Don.
K7ZOV

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2000, 11:39:16 PM »

I recieved the radio last week.  Because of my work schedule I only got to play with it for a few hours this past week-end during the SS contest.  I live in Mesa arizona.  With a vertical I was able to work Russia, Hawaii, the Virgin Islands, Canada and 12 States.  Signal reports were very good. (The stations worked were on 10, 17, 15, 20 and 40 meters SSB.)  The radio works like a dream and 5 watts does get out.  My next task is PSK-31.  I just pick up a mini din 6 connector and I will get it wired and report back soon.

Harry
AB7RG

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2000, 06:01:45 PM »

Hi to those who are lucky enough to already have the
Yaesu FT-817's! I have a few questions for you if you
have the time to answer them.

First, is the optional filter a solder in type or
does it use screws? How well does it perform, the 500
hz CW filter that is? How is the stock filtering on
CW, SSB, and AM?

Does the radio use the stock SSB filter in the AM
mode, like some of Yaesu's radios? If so, is there an
optional filter for it? If memory serves me there was
mention of an optional AM filter at Yaesu's website,
but perhaps they changed that before production
began... Hope so, as SWL'ing could be fun with that
little rig too.

How does the radio perform on FM? Any front end
overload by strong signals? How would you rate the
blocking dynamic range on SSB, using the stock
filtering? Again, how about AM performance?

How sensitive is the receive? i.e. how does it
compare to some of the other radios you've used with
similar antennas?

How is the transmitted audio in SSB? How about in FM
and AM?

Tell me more about the Spectrum Scope. Is it really
useful? I hear the audio is muted when it's on. Sad
Guess it's wishful thinking when I compare how good my
Icom 756 works!

How well does the notch filter work, and is this
feature available in CW mode?

Any ideas as to how accurate the built-in metering
is? S-Meter and SWR mainly.

Any problems with your radio?

Okay, that should do it. I'll be placing an order for
mine in the next week or so. Perhaps tomorrow... I'll
mainly use it as a portable CW rig, although I will
probably play with all the modes on the various bands
from time to time. Hope to hear you on the air!

73, Clinton AB7RG/9

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2000, 12:54:12 AM »

Well,
I've seached for hours and days with no mods in sight. Perhaps you could point me in the right direction.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: