Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Band to Operate  (Read 2393 times)
KF6YB

Ignore
« on: June 06, 2001, 11:15:26 PM »

Hello, I am going to build a QRP rig and I would like to know which Band would be the best to select. I would be operating during the day field portable. Which band would have the most QRP activity? Thanks!
VE2XLT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2001, 12:22:23 AM »

Most of my QRP activity was done on 40m....second place was 15m///third -20 m...but i presume under the current peak of solar activity day time 10 mtr band is the best
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2001, 02:08:05 PM »

This depends on the time of year, and somewhat on the time of day as well...

During the winter months (just passed), 10/12/15/20/30m all would have been excellent choices.  Now that we're entering the "summer doldrums" for HF propagation, your choices are bit more limited.  I'd opt for 20 meters, probably, as the most all-around "reliable" band for daytime propagation that will provide contacts.

Don't worry about being "QRP," because half of all CW operations nowadays is QRP, and I think the number is still growing.  I work CW mostly, on 40 through 10 meters inclusive, and above .030 (that is, 30 kHz up inside the lower band edge, and above) virtually ALL activity is QRP...regularly 100W, and often times a whole lot less.  I think the "average" station on 30m is probably running 5W, and about half of all stations on the other bands are running in the 5-10W range.

So, you're not just a "little QRP" station on CW these days.  It's becoming the norm.  The work is all done by the antenna, anyway!  

73 de Steve WB2WIK/6
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: