I am currently making up my mind whether to build a K2 or the RTX109 kit.
Here is what I have found out so far re. RTX109:
- Supposed to have a very good receiver (for european RF environment)
- KIT needs an experienced builder:
kit is by far (!!) not the same easy2build standard compared to K2; PCB supposed to have NO through-hole connection, no silk-screening, no step-by-step assembly instructions, etc.
It is NOT a kind of "Heathkit" set.
Philosophy behind it is to provide a ready to go concept (schematics) plus provide all the necessary parts for finishing the kit.
Housing finishing is more 'amateur' style compared to K2, which is more "industrial" -
My personal bottom line so far is:
- You take more risk to sucessfully finish the kit
- It IS a different philosophy compared to K2
- It allows you more easily than a K2 to implement and integrate your own design ideas (e.g. experiment with own-designed CW crystal filters, etc.)
Hope this was of some value for you.
73, Klaus, DK3QN (email: DK3QN@aol.com