Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RTX 109 Kit  (Read 2082 times)
N3RCS

Ignore
« on: July 29, 2001, 12:46:28 AM »

Dear Sirs (and Madams):

Has anyone attempted, or played with, the RTX-109 kit from Hands Electronics?

http://www.rf-kits.demon.co.uk/rdx109.htm

It is available for under $600 US, and looks like an interesting setup.  I would love to be able to build an HF kit, then put it on the air doing a new digital mode.  The fact that it uses a DDS system followed by a PLL seems that it would make for an extremely clean and stable oscillator.

Before I drop serious coin however, I want to know if anyone else has yet attempted this kit and has feedback that could be helpful.  I would love to put together a K2, but considering the fact that the FT-817 is cheaper and offers 50-440 service makes that a bit daunting.

I realize that the fun is in building the kit, but when it comes down to economics on that level, something has to give, ya know?

Well, enough rambling.  Hopefully someone has some experience either assembling or being on the air with this radio, and I would love to hear what they have to say.

Adam O'Donnell
DK3QN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2001, 08:17:12 AM »

Hi Adam:
I am currently making up my mind whether to build a K2 or the RTX109 kit.
Here is what I have found out so far re. RTX109:

- Supposed to have a very good receiver (for european RF environment)

- KIT needs an experienced builder:
kit is by far (!!) not the same easy2build standard compared to K2; PCB supposed to have NO through-hole connection, no silk-screening, no step-by-step assembly instructions, etc.
It is NOT a kind of "Heathkit" set.

Philosophy behind it is to provide a ready to go concept (schematics) plus provide all the necessary parts for finishing the kit.

Housing finishing is more 'amateur' style compared to K2, which is more "industrial" -

My personal bottom line so far is:

- You take more risk to sucessfully finish the kit
- It IS a different philosophy compared to K2
- It allows you more easily than a K2 to implement and integrate your own design ideas (e.g. experiment with own-designed CW crystal filters, etc.)

Hope this was of some value for you.

73, Klaus, DK3QN      (email:  DK3QN@aol.com)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: