Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SMA Vs. BNC Connectors  (Read 3330 times)
KC9AKW

Ignore
« on: December 30, 2001, 07:20:13 PM »

Being fairly new to ham radio, I am planning to purchase a dual band HT to play around with until I get my general ticket.  When I get a HT, I plan on hooking it up to a external from time to time.  I was wondering if a BNC connector is better to have on a HT if I plan on switching antennas frequently.  Or would I better off to get one with a SMA connector and put a BNC adapter on it.  The HT I am leaning towards has a SMA connector, and I am not sure how sturdy they are.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.
KF4LNE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2001, 09:18:09 PM »

I broke both of my SMA jacks and replaced them with BNC jacks. Also, using an adapter increases the risk of breaking something. If you are handy with modifying the radios then you may try to replace the SMA jack with a BNC jack as i have done with both my HTX 200 and HTX 245 HTs.

73, Dan - KF4LNE
INITZERO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2001, 02:28:13 PM »

BNC is far better than SMA but I wouldn't make a
radio choice based only on that factor.

I have an SMA to BNC adapter on my Kenwood D7AG and
it does a fine job. Not as great as having a BNC but
close enough.

Matt (k4mls)
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2002, 07:16:47 PM »

Rather than use a BNC to SMA adapter mounted on the HT, it's safer (less strain on the SMA connector) to use an SMA cable assembly having a BNC female or other suitable connector mounted on its far end.  This way, the SMA can remain installed on the HT all the time, and any stress placed on connectors occurs on the BNC end of the cable, and not on the HT connector.

SMA is a vastly superior connector to BNC in all ways except mechanically.  It is better shielded and maintains impedance better, up into the microwave region.  SMA is also a more expensive connector; the manufacturers didn't start using them to save money.  SMA is the standard on most small microwave equipment, and has been for many years.  It was a logical choice for HT's that provide receive functionality up to 1000 MHz, as many do.

73 de Steve, WB2WIK/6
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: