The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 75/80 meter portable antenna  (Read 2725 times)
KC8JWA

Ignore
« on: April 16, 2002, 06:36:05 AM »

Hello,
I'm looking for an antenna that I can take along on trips.  Use in hotel rooms and also on some property we have bought.  (I think we have one tree on our property).  Can't afford the expensive antennas either!
My rig is a MFJ-9475.  I have a simple 20 meter dipole for my qrp PSK-20, but I just can't figure out the best way to deal with 75/80 meter antenna without it being non-portable.
Maybe a 1/4 wave random wire at 66 ft would be about the best one can do?
Thanks for your thoughts or suggestions!
73 Beverly
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2002, 11:23:51 AM »

Well, if you own the property, you can install an antenna and leave it there, so I'm not sure why that one would need to be "portable."  If you've got a tree and it's 20+ feet tall, as most trees seem to be, you've got a "hanger" for a 75m inverted vee, which needn't cost more than a few dollars to build.

For a hotel room, 75/80 meters is not a great band choice!  Hotels are electrically noisy places, usually, because they have many electrical appliances running 24/7 that generate volumes of RFI that normally impact the "lower" bands, like 160m and 80m, much worse than the higher bands.  And of course, even a 66' long 1/4-wave wire would be a challenge in a hotel room.  But if you normally operate from rooms that have windows that can open (many high-rise hotels have windows you can only look through, and don't open at all!), you might try a length of _insulated_ wire tossed out a window, and a small, portable antenna tuner like the MFJ-16010, and give it a go.

WB2WIK/6
W9SWL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2002, 09:56:14 AM »

Try using a 20M loop with a short piece of ladder line to a tuner. Run this thru the balanced output posts of a tuner. I think you will be pleasantly suprised and enjoy the results.   73's
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: