Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NEW TENTEC RIG SOON  (Read 1397 times)
AB7R

Ignore
« on: November 30, 2001, 11:44:49 PM »

I have been off the air for awhile and looking to get back but QRP so I can take it out and about.

Interested in the FT-817 till I saw the TenTec is coming out with a new rig that looks like the 6N2 vhf rig.  It will be IF DSP with about 28 filters.  Although the website says 5W, I spoke with TT yesterday and it seems like it will be 20W and flash upgradeable.  They also indicated the RX may have a little better sensativity than the Jupiter.... on the lines of .20 to .25 microvolts.  Of course everything is still up in the air as it will not be out till Feb or Mar time.  Only draw back apparent is it seems it will not be computer controllable so you cannot connect for auto logging and rig control.  That does not make much sense to me as their 2 market competitors, the 817 and K2 both have that capability.

Do not know if I can hold out that long!  But sounds like it will be worth it.

73!
Greg
AB7R
K4CWQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2001, 11:05:39 PM »

I just bought a new Jupiter two months ago or I'd be in the market for this new QRP rig. As far as I'm concerned, if it's Ten-Tec, it has to be good!! After all, they practically invented the full-feature QRP rig with the Argonaut.

Ten-Tecs have always had QSK keying and the best audio on SSB receive and transmit. Also, their service is the best anywhere. Second to none. It's also nice to be able to open up a rig and have some idea of its workings and even replace a board, if necessary.

Wish I could buy this new QRP rig. I hope they give it a good name (similar to Argonaut) and don't just call it by a model number.
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2002, 02:55:54 PM »

I'm wondering what market Ten Tec is aiming this new product at.

Is it a home station rig? If it is, why only 20 watts and why no computer interface? It will have to compete with the IC-718 and the Alinco DX-77, which are both competent 100 watt radios that can be turned down to QRP levels when desired.

Is it a mobile or QRP portable rig? It doesn't seem likely if it's going to be the same size as the 6N2. The K2 and FT-817 are much smaller and easy to carry in the field or install in today's smaller cars.

Is there some other market niche that I'm overlooking?
AB7RG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2002, 11:50:19 PM »

I have started an e-mail reflector for those who are interested in the Ten-Tec Model 516 Argonaut V HF QRP transceiver.

If you wish to discuss this exciting new radio (now or when they are delivered) please send an e-mail to: Ten-Tec516-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Or simply visit: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ten-Tec516/

Note: For those who have privacy concerns please realize that while you must be registered with Yahoo, but no "correct" personal information is really required. -- Who's checking anyway? :^)

If anyone on the list is subscribed to any other Ten-Tec mailing lists please inform them that this list, dedicated to the Ten-Tec 516 is here for everyone to subscribe to who is interested in this neat little rig.

FYI: I have no connection to Ten-Tec. Actually this will be my first Ten-Tec radio.

73 Clinton AB7RG

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: