Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT 817 vs K2  (Read 2148 times)
KA0MLA

Ignore
« on: July 30, 2002, 08:22:59 AM »

FT 817 vs K2, which is the better radio ? Please respond ,especially ,if you have owned or do own both !
How well do they operate mobile ? Are there packs for the K2 as there are for the 817 for ease of transport ?
W1CJM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2002, 10:40:26 AM »

I do not own either of those, but I would go for the K2. It is much more satisfying to build and put your own radio on the air than to buy one already built.
N0OKS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2002, 12:20:34 PM »

No Brainer - K2. Look at the numbers. Elecraft's K2 has much better numbers than the 817. In fact it has better numbers than just about anything you can buy. Also, easier to use. The most difficult aspect of building a K2 is following the directions. When you don't, and I had problems in this area, Elecraft will help you out.
W2RBA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2002, 04:32:48 AM »

I have both a K2 and an 817 and there is little doubt that the K2 is far and away the better radio.  It's a kit, but a superbly designed kit (thanks, Elecraft!).  On the other hand, though, the 817 is tiny and offers a semi-decent receiver for HF and VHF/UHF - except 220 Mhz - and it offers FM and AM operation in addition to CW and SSB.  It's a matter of what you want: K2 (especially with the 100-watt built-in amplifier kit that Elecraft recently introduced) makes a superb base station rig, portable rig for vacations and for general use.  But on the other hand, the 817 has dropped in price (I hear it sells for something less than $700) - and you can walk around with it with a whip antenna and go pedestrian mobile (!).  Answer: get both (not at the same time)!
KZ1X

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2002, 12:47:19 PM »

Which is the better radio, in terms of ... what?

I built/own a loaded K2 (and a K1), and have used the 817.

The receiver in the K2 is actually better than ANY other ham transceiver ever tested by the ARRL Lab, so far.  Only the new $3300 Orion from TenTec may end up being better.

The 817 has all-mode capability on 6, 2, and 440.  But performance-wise, it's not any great shakes on any mode.

So, the comparison is really apples and oranges, without more information about what you want and how you'll use the radio.  As far as being a kit goes, if you don't want to build (an idea I can not personally understand) there are many hams who will build the K2 for you, for a nominal charge ... and they sell used on occasion, too.

N0JVT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2002, 04:59:38 AM »

While i've always wanted a K2 with all the Options I chose the FT-817 Because it was a good comprimise  Ibetween price and proformance/features...my poor Sight no longer permits me to assemble any electronic kit and the cost of the FT-817 was 1/2 of the K2 that i would want\.

If elecraft ever comes out with a HF/VHF/UHF radio given the high proformance of the K2 radios...yaesu and icom would have a very hard time meeting the standard that would be set by elecraft.

Until things inprove at my end it will have to be my FT-817 and TenTEc 405 Amp ( Not a bad combo

73's all

mike - n0jvt

VR2XMC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2002, 07:02:21 PM »

I built two K2 in the past.  When you read the ARRL product review reports, you will note that the RX performance of K2 quite match the top end receivers such as the IC756 families.

I am clearly very satisfied with K2's performance but I eventually choose a FT817.  The RX of FT817 is inferior than K2 but sufficient for real QRP portable operation.

Comparing price Vs performance, FT817 is a very attractive choice.  It covers from 1.8 to 430MHz and is all-mode.  It is very handy and resourceful when you carry it for QRP portable operation.  You can even use it for broadcast receiving and MAR's operation.

I would see K2 and FT817 belong to different animals.  Your choice will depend on your operation preference.  K2 is EXPENSIVE when you get all the options but part of the price is paid for the kit building fun.

I enjoy the fun by building K2 for hams and get the handy operation from FT817.

Johnny VR2XMC
KU4QD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2003, 03:39:33 PM »

I agree with all those who said it's "apples and oranges".  Last I saw the FT-817 was available for $549.  At that price you probably get more for the buck than any other radio on the market today.  OTOH, the K2 and many other rigs will certainly outperform an FT-817.  The question becomes:  what will you get from the additional performance?  IMHO, for most casual QRPers the FT-817 will certainly meet their needs.

If you are considering HF only or HF/6m only, also look at the new Icom IC-703, which should be out soon.  Info is on the Icom website.

72/73 de Caity, KU4QD
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: