Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Building a QRP Xcvr  (Read 2316 times)
K1PX

Ignore
« on: April 22, 2000, 10:37:13 AM »

A friend recently bought me a Ten Tec 1340 kit as a gift and it has been a lot of fun working 40 meters with it. The rig actually worked the first time I fired it up. It was particularly exciting to work several Europeans the first night. Anyone else have fun building a QRP rig like this?         

K4YBB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2000, 04:34:00 PM »

K1PX How long, time wise, did it take to complete the Ten-Tec kit? What level of difficulty would say the kit is?
Thank you.  Jim K4YBB
K1PX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2000, 04:05:00 PM »

Hi Jim:
It took me about two days to build it. The assembly was straight forward and the manual is excellent. The only thing that is a little touchy is the coil that is used to set the VFO for the tuning range that you desire. So, I had to play around a little with the windings on the toroid.

The tuning range is about 75 KHz and mine works from 7.0 to 7.07 with 4.8 watts output.

You probably won't believe it but it worked the first time I turned it on. And, I modified it slightly by installing a LED power on indicator just to the left of the on-off switch.

The receiver is remarkably good and I've easily worked DX with it. It costs just about $100. What a deal !

73, Jim, K1PX
W2RBA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2000, 10:53:06 AM »

I built the Ten-Tec 1330 kit for 30 meters last fall and it was really a breeze.  It has over 200 board-mounted components but plenty of room on the board for it.  Considering the price ($95 plus shipping) and the fact that it comes with a case (a *solid* case, one so magnificent that you'll think twice about backpacking with it! (hi)), it's a steal.  I recommend Ten-Tec kits whole-heartedly.

Joe
W2RBA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2000, 10:56:04 AM »

I built the Ten-Tec 1330 kit for 30 meters last fall and it was really a breeze.  It has over 200 board-mounted components but plenty of room on the board for them.  Worked perfectly the first time (depriving me of the joy (?!) of troubleshooting) and it's made lots o'QSOs.  Considering the price ($95 plus shipping) and the fact that it comes with a case (a *solid* case, one so magnificently solid that you'll think twice about backpacking with it! (hi)), it's a steal.  I recommend Ten-Tec kits whole-heartedly.

Joe
WZ7W

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2000, 12:01:34 PM »

I finished a K2 March 8th.  I've now got 96 Q's from 10 -
160 meters.  I got every option except ssb, it wasn't
cheap but I got some cheap stuff around here, and
know what?  This is more fun.  

It wasn't a hard build, nothing really micro-miniature,
which is kind of a surprise considering it has a
microprocessor controlling stuff on an aux. bus.  The
features in this rig are pretty whiz bang.  RX is better
than the TS I had to sell to afford it.

It took me about a week, with several overnight work
interupptions.   And two troubleshootings, they were
caught in stages Heathkit style, not "no work?" at the
very end like homebrew or rougher kits.
KG9HV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2000, 04:33:19 AM »

I received an email from Ten Tec stating that the new
15 meter QRP transceiver should be ready to ship by Dayton
time. I have a OHR for 20M and a Emtech for 40M, this might
be my next Qrp project.
N2LK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2000, 10:03:31 PM »

I tried a 38 Special and just couldn't make it work. I am no expert builder, novice probably with sausage hands! Would like to try that new MFJ Cub I saw in CQ magazine this month. Anyone try building that one yet? Seems very simple to build yet can put out 2 watts. I have built the real simple Ramsey 20mtr. transmitter but would really like a nifty little transceiver that I can build myself with just simple tools. Anyones comments appreciated and thanks.
K4DPK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2000, 09:08:32 AM »

It took about ten hours to build the Ten Tec 30m kit.  Then I put up a bobtail curtain and worked fifty countries in two weeks.  Great receiver!  A simple iambic keyer would be nice as standard on this rig.
K3LS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2000, 10:23:58 AM »

John,
How do you compare the OHR Kit with the Emtech?  I have a 30 meters version of the OHR and love it. Now want to try a 40 meters or 15 meters qrp rig and was thinking about either EMTEC or Ten-Tec. I heard a couple of MFJ's on the air and don't like the sound of them.

Larry, K3LS.
KC2DPT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2000, 01:51:50 PM »

I see lots of options for building a qrp rog and some of them look pretty simple. But not mentioned is the antenna. What's a simple and cheap antenna solution? I think my first kit will be 40m. I'm not looking to become an antenna guru or anything, just looking to get on the air.
Thanks.
KB9BVN

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2000, 03:07:00 PM »

Peter,

My first rig was a Norcal 40A QRP XCVR kit. I also bought a EmTech ZM-2 tuner with it.  For my first antenna and CW QSO, I literally sat at a picnic table with a battery for the rig and two half wave wires thrown over some bushes....connected to the 40A via the ZM-2.  I tuned the mess till the SWR was OK and started pounding brass.  First contact was with a guy in Mississippi (I'm in Indiana) on about a watt.

Until I installed a dipole in my attic, this is how I operated for about 4 months.

72 de KB9BVN/QRP

AC5WA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2000, 05:43:40 PM »

Most of the simpler kit rigs are easy enough to build if you have only a little experience soldering.  Get something else cheep to practice on first though!  

As for an antenna, it's hard to go wrong with a half wave dipole strung up in a tree, along a wood fence, tied to the bird house and rose trellis, stapled to the rafters in the attic. You get the idea!

With a QRP rig, you don't have to worry about starting a fire with corona off the ends of the antenna!  You can feed the antena with RG174 minature 50 Ohm coax and use nylon fishing line tied to the ends of an appropriate length of hook-up wire.  Remember the exam question about 1/2 wave dipoles?  Hmmm, something about 468/freq. in MHz.  Just be sure to ground it when you are not using it.  If you don't have a good way to ground it, at least disconnect it from the rig and short the center conductor to the shield and throw the feed line out the window. It helps to tie a string to it so you don't have to go out in the cold to fetch it back.

Quit looking for reasons to not do it and just go for it.  Most problems will be conquered while you are looking for a way over, around or through them.  If you're looking for trouble, you're sure to find enough to keep you from having any fun at all.

73 de AC5WA
KB9VJS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2000, 01:42:00 PM »

My first foray into HF will almost certainly be with a QRP radio, for money and interference reasons.  I have taken to heart the comment here, tho.  I'm blessed to have already received offers of help from local hams as well as a few around the country (FL and CA).  It's been 15 years since I last soldered anything, but I do still remember the number one lesson: patience.

KB9VJS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2000, 01:47:03 PM »

One other question occurs having read the thread on transceiver kits .. several of you chose the 30m Ten-Tec.  Any particular reason why 30m?  I am guessing crowding might be one reason.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: