Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Opinions on the IC-703  (Read 1361 times)
WA4GKQ

Ignore
« on: December 20, 2003, 12:25:35 AM »

Any opinions on the IC-703 (Icom) as a QRP PSK31 rig?
KJ7OT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2003, 04:53:19 PM »

I have used the 703 on PSK and it's great. The TXCO is a great asset in frequency stability. However, after owning the radio for about 6 weeks, it's on it's way to Icom for repair. This rig seems to have quite a bit of trouble with it's finals. Other than that, it's a great rig.
Ryan KJ7OT
PH1PH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2003, 07:58:17 AM »

I have been using my 703 full-time to help in the development of PSK31 Deluxe since May. The drivers failed in early June (during a SSB QSO!) and the rig was returned repaired within a week. Apart from that it has behaved itself impeccably.

I'd advise you to get a 500Hz CW filter, as this can be used for digital modes RX too. Combined with the standard TXCO you then have a pretty good rig.

If you are interested in PSK31 and maybe even computer control of your rig, take a look at the great freeware HAM RADIO DELUXE package available from http://www.hb9drv.ch

145, Pete  PH1PH - G7ECN
W3JJH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2003, 12:32:03 PM »

Take a look at the TenTec Argonaut V.  I mostly use mine as a dedicated PSK31 rig.  (I also use it as my 60m radio.)

Unless you need 6 m (and there's not a lot of PSK31 activity on 6), the Argonaut's performance is significantly better than the 703.  The base price of the 703 is cheaper, but by the time you add the accessories to make the 703's features comparable to the Arognaut's, the Argonaut will cost less.
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2004, 08:06:31 PM »

What concerns me about the IC-703 is the high incidence of failures so far.  It's still very early in the life of this radio and Icom has shown a knack for taking radios that start out as troubled products and turning them into top notch radios.  Do you remember how bad things were with the early productions runs of the IC-706?  The IC-706MkIIG is a good rig.  I, personally, would wait until the IC-703 gets through it's shake out period.

Read reviews on eHam and the experiences of IC-703 users on the IC-703 reflector on Yahoo!Groups to get a good idea of what is going on.

Caity
K7VO
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: