Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Soldering Station  (Read 713 times)
N8CDN

Ignore
« on: November 05, 2003, 02:54:14 PM »

I am thinking of purchasing an Elecraft K-1. I understand you should use a soldering station as opposed to a stand alone soldering iron. I own a Weller 40W soldering iron and don't do allot of kit building. I have assembled several Heathkit units in the past but it has been awhile. I would appreciate any advise.

Terry N8CDN
KE4VBG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2003, 10:19:11 PM »

Well Terry you don't actually have to have a soldering station to do a good job of soldering. The station does allow you to adjust the heat, but it is not a substitute for good soldering practices. The 40w iron is a little too big for some of the small traces on these boards. You don't need that much heat. You could buy a smaller iron (25w) and get you a stand for it. I bought a Weller WLC100 for about $45 and got an ST1 tip for it and it works great for small work. If you are going to do a lot of soldering the station is nice because you have a nice Safe place to park the iron while working. Have Fun and keep your tip clean.

73's Doug  
N4VHA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2004, 05:32:11 AM »

I have a METCAL solder and rework system.  It uses RF to heat the numerous accessories and will not cool off like a standard iron that has to heat up each time it is cooled at a solder joint.  The METCAL heats up in about 12 seconds and stays at the given temp for the tip used.  It will not cool off with high demand due and stays at the temp that each element is rated at.  It's an expensive accessory but you will be amazed at how well it works and the increased quality of your solder joints.  My system has one power supply that controls a soldering pencil and a de-soldering gun that is air compressor assisted.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: