Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 40m or 20m?  (Read 664 times)
N2MOX

Ignore
« on: January 24, 2004, 08:47:18 PM »

I've been away from ham radio for some time now, but with the help of my son were both getting back into it again. He just passed his tech. , and now is preparing for the gen.
 With that in mind he's looking to purchase a qrp rig called the OHR 100a. The kit sounds like a real winner compared to all the others out there. So my ? is this...which band should he/we purchase?
 Long distance.., and don't have to fight with the 5w would be nice. Well any help is great! Thx
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2004, 12:25:18 AM »

You'll probably work the most DX on 20M during the hours when the band is open. 40M has the advantage that it is almost always open to somewhere.
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2004, 01:48:21 PM »

I'd vote for 20m.  40m CW QRP is very doable and I have made contacts with my 600mW Mizuho P-7DX, so 5W certainly is not a problem.  You'll work more DX on 20 and it is often open into the evening.

Just my .02...

Caity
K7VO
W4CNG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2004, 08:54:38 PM »

Both are good during the day, but at night nowdays 20 meters is gone, and 40 is covered up with International Broadcast at 200,000watts or more, just for a few more years.  Then 40 will be a dream for all to work, propogation permitting mostly around the clock.
Good Luck
Steve W4CNG
N2MOX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2004, 07:58:02 AM »

Thanks for the help guys. I've also found that 40m seems to be open more then 20m, day and night....at least in NJ it seems that way.
 My code copy is so slow that 40m seems to be the best choice right now. I'm able to tune out the big oversea's radio's with the IF shift, and thats a plus.
 I think i'd have more luck finding someone on 40 that would tolerate my poor cw skills at the moment Smiley
 Thx again guys, hope to hear ya on the air.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: